(32) Proposal: Swap Eki and Encampment Improvement Unlock Techs

Status
Not open for further replies.

pineappledan

Deity
Currently the Hunnic Eki is unlocked at Trade (prerequisites are Pottery and Trapping) and the Shoshone Encampment is unlocked at Military Theory (Prerequisites are mining and Animal Husbandry).

I propose that the two improvements switch places, with the Encampment moved to Trade and the Eki moved to Military Theory.

The justification for this is purely roleplay:
  • The Huns are more overtly a militarist civ, and they prioritize the bottom of the tech tree.
  • The Huns are pastoralists, and the Eki is meant to be pasture land, according to the civilopedia, but it does not require you to have researched animal husbandry.
  • The Shoshone did not have any domesticated animals except for dogs until the arrival of horses in the 1600s, and they did not mine things, but they did hunt and trade.
  • Many Indigenous groups will tell you that mining is anathema to their understanding of their relationship to the earth, and so making mining a prerequisite for their UI is in poor taste.
I don't think this proposal runs afoul of any balance concerns. Neither Trade nor military theory are prerequisites for the Huns' UU (unlocked at mathematics), so this isn't any more/less streamlined for them, and the Shoshone are so generalist that I doubt it makes much impact on them where the UI unlocks.

Proposal Sponsors: pineappledan.

(Sponsors have indicated that they are able and willing to perform the code changes required for this proposal if the community votes Aye on it. Other coders are free to sponsor this as well. A proposal without a sponsor will not advance to the Voting Phase.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom