[Vote] (1-24) Proposal: Swap Eki and Encampment Improvement Unlock Techs

Approval Vote for Proposal #24 (instructions below)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recursive

Already Looping
Supporter
Voting Instructions
Players, please cast your votes in the poll above. Vote "Yea" if you'd be okay if this proposal was implemented. Vote "Nay" if you'd be okay if this proposal wasn't implemented. You can vote for both options.

All votes are public. If you wish, you can discuss your choice(s) in the thread below. You can change your vote as many times as you want until the poll closes.

VP Congress: Session 1, Proposal 24

Proposer: @pineappledan
Sponsor(s): @pineappledan
Previous Discussion Thread: https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...d-encampment-improvement-unlock-techs.679535/

Proposal Details
Currently the Hunnic Eki is unlocked at Trade (prerequisites are Pottery and Trapping) and the Shoshone Encampment is unlocked at Military Theory (Prerequisites are mining and Animal Husbandry).

I propose that the two improvements switch places, with the Encampment moved to Trade and the Eki moved to Military Theory.

The justification for this is purely roleplay:
  • The Huns are more overtly a militarist civ, and they prioritize the bottom of the tech tree.
  • The Huns are pastoralists, and the Eki is meant to be pasture land, according to the civilopedia, but it does not require you to have researched animal husbandry.
  • The Shoshone did not have any domesticated animals except for dogs until the arrival of horses in the 1600s, and they did not mine things, but they did hunt and trade.
  • Many Indigenous groups will tell you that mining is anathema to their understanding of their relationship to the earth, and so making mining a prerequisite for their UI is in poor taste.
I don't think this proposal runs afoul of any balance concerns. Neither Trade nor military theory are prerequisites for the Huns' UU (unlocked at mathematics), so this isn't any more/less streamlined for them, and the Shoshone are so generalist that I doubt it makes much impact on them where the UI unlocks.

If it doesn't run afoul of any balance concerns this is a waste of a proposal imho. Why propose something that doesn't rebalance the game?

Makes sense to me, I'm a fan of this proposal :)

And it does affect balance in the sense that different techs lead towards different things. If you want horsemen then it makes sense to go Military Tech, which is the kind of play you might make as the Huns. Whereas the Shoshone are more peaceful so it makes a lot of sense that you might want to research Trade first. I always found it slightly annoying that playing a peaceful Shoshone lead my away from my UI in tech terms.

There aren't a limited number of proposals, so I don't know that one can be wasted. And looking at the votes, seems a lot of people are in favour, so it's hardly a waste of time
Of course I'm in favor, but you need to look at the relative amount of votes total

If it doesn't run afoul of any balance concerns this is a waste of a proposal imho. Why propose something that doesn't rebalance the game?
Of course I'm in favor, but you need to look at the relative amount of votes total
70 votes in favor seems pretty good to me. Also, the VP Congress isn't only restricted to balance proposals.

UI changes don't run afoul of any balance concerns either, but they are still major changes.

Proposal passed on November 1, 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom