[Vote] (6-03) Move Moai Defense Bonus to Encampment

Include in VP?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The text is wrong on the danish UA . It’s pay 1 movement to embark or disembark. It functions identically to how frogman does. Double movement in coast is an older Danish ability that I had removed last Congress.

It’s a non-starter. What you are proposing as a line benefit for Polynesia is not meaningfully different from Denmark’s existing bonuses.

The text is wrong on the danish UA . It’s pay 1 movement to embark or disembark. It functions identically to how frogman does
Just caught up on your thread from round 5.. never had time to dig into that one while the vote was live, unfortunately. I see the embark/disembark change now -- seems to me the disembark is the more thematic component for the danes, if we were to split them up again. Having the other half of this would suit both the polynesia playstyle and thematic abstraction imo.

I don't see anything in database nor round 5 congress thread that suggests Viking UA gives amphib nor river bonus; kinda surprised at the former tbh. River and amphib are both built-in to frogman promo: so not "identically", though I take it that you use this term loosely.

Double movement in coast is an older Danish ability that I had removed last Congress.
your round 5 thread suggests double heal and CS bonus in coast, on naval melee only, was removed. The existing +1 embarked movement is a vanilla attribute. I don't recall there ever having been a double move on coast for any danish units; though admittedly they are a once-a-year civ for me to play with, and I may have missed some brief era where this was the case. Regardless, I don't see any reason it couldn't be revived for polynesia; its reasonably distinct from +1 embark moves, both in its implication for per turn plot range and scope of applicability.

seems to me the disembark is the more thematic component for the danes, if we were to split them up again.
They were never split. It was a typo. They’ve always paid just 1 move to both embark and disembark.
I don't recall there ever having been a double move on coast for any danish units; though admittedly they are a once-a-year civ for me to play with, and I may have missed some brief era where this was the case
It was there for 4 years until last Congress
I don't see anything in database nor round 5 congress thread that suggests Viking UA gives amphib nor river bonus
That’s because the Songhai have those bonuses.

Rather than find some sliver of movement that mimics, but doesn’t directly copy denmark, I prefer just giving all their naval units +1 sight.

It was there for 2 years until last Congress
Funny then how its missing from your own round 5 description of their current abilities.
current abilities:
Viking Fury (UA):
Embarked Units have +1 :c5moves: Movement points and pay just 1 :c5moves: Movement point to Disembark.
All Melee Land Units gain the Viking promotion (no :c5moves: Movement point cost to Pillage tiles. +25% :c5strength: Base Combat Strength when on Pillaged Tiles. +5 HP when healing in Neutral Territory),
All Melee Naval Units gain the Longboat promotion (no :c5moves: Movement point cost to Pillage tiles. +15% :c5strength: Combat Strength when attacking or defending on Coastal Tiles. Recovers HP twice as fast when healing on Coastal Tiles.)

Doesn't really matter whether it existed previously or not, however -- let's just find some way to help polynesia better island-hop. The old CS% bonus was not good thematically, and is all but gone. We'll have to continue this in another thread, but I'd strongly lean towards a water-related movement bonus of some kind. When I think of their existing ocean crossing ability, this implies to me that they might be even more skilled in coast than the norm. w/e we land on, imo should be applied primarily to embarked units, for better thematic fit.

They were never split. It was a typo. They’ve always paid just 1 move to both embark and disembark.
I always did find them particularly surprising in coast & island heavy terrain, though usually they were embarking out of my view. makes sense now.

it wasn't always possible as you know, but we can now enable this via promo tables, each individually. From what I can see, you're correct that the UA does this separately from promos so it wouldn't be just a database change, that part, if splitting them up were deemed desirable.

edit: to explore another existing, naval-related feature -- great admiral's former "change port" ability sits unused in VP. afaik this is only operable via the 'Units' table, so could only be a UU thing

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom