Available at Electricity
Must be built next to a River
Mutually exclusive

2:c5gold:2:c5production:
2:c5gold:2:c5production: to Every World Wonder on Empire
-25% :c5gold:Gold cost for Purchasing tiles
FREE Hydro Plant in this city
+5:c5gold:Gold and Production:c5production: to Factories and Stadiums on Empire
10% of all :c5gold: Gold generated on Empire is converted to :c5culture: Production
+25% of the :c5culture: Culture from World Wonders, Natural Wonders, and :c5culture: Tiles in all cities' contributes to :tourism:Tourism Output.
All Trade Units complete their routes 25% faster

Smithsonian Institute
1500:c5production:
Available at Biology
Mutually exclusive

2:c5science:2:c5culture:
2:c5science:2:c5culture: to Every World Wonder on Empire
FREE Museum in ALL Cities on Empire
+5:c5science:Science and :c5culture:Culture to Museums and Research Labs on Empire
10% of all :c5gold: Gold generated on Empire is converted to :c5culture: Culture

West Point
Available at Replaceable Parts
Mutually exclusive

2:c5science:2:c5production:
2:c5science:2:c5production: to Every World Wonder on Empire
5:c5strength: City Defense
5:c5capital:Great General Points
5:c5science: Science and :c5production:Production to Military Academies and Military Bases on Empire
10% of all :c5gold: Gold generated on Empire is converted to :c5science:Science
3 FREE Iron
3 FREE Artillery Units appear next to this City
All Siege and Naval Ranged units on Empire receive Splash I

Proposal:
  • Replace Hoover Dam with Slater Mill
    • Current Slater Mill becomes Soho Foundry
    • Remove River requirement on Soho Foundry. No other balance changes. to the World Wonder
    • Soho Foundry icon change to existing Refinery icon
    • Current Refinery icon change to existing Slater Mill icon
    • New Slater mill American Wonder full writeup below
  • Make all 3 American wonders World Wonders:
    • change from 1 max player instance to 1 world player instance
    • Gives a Historic Event when completed
    • Add GPPs to them
    • Capturable by other civs
    • Subject to wonder % production modifiers and penalties
  • move all 3 wonders earlier, into Industrial
    • Reduce all construction costs to 1000:c5production:, in keeping with earlier unlock (slightly cheaper than contemporary wonders)
    • Slater Mill unlocks at Industrialization
    • West Point unlocks at Military Science
    • Smithsonian unlocks at Archaeology
  • Rebalance the 3 slightly (details below):
Spoiler New 3 Wonders. differences from current versions underlined :

Slater Mill
1000:c5production:
Available at Industrialization
Must be built next to a River
Mutually exclusive

2:c5gold:2:c5production:
2:c5gold:2:c5production: to Every World Wonder on Empire
2:c5greatperson:Great Engineer Points
10% of all :c5gold:Gold generated on Empire is converted to :c5production:Production
FREE Factory in this City
+5:c5gold:Gold and Production:c5production: to Factories and Stock Exchanges on Empire
+1 Trade Route Slot, and All Trade Units complete their routes 25% faster
- No more free Hydro Plant
- Removed 25% Culture from tiles converted to Tourism

Smithsonian Institute
1000:c5production:
Available at Archaeology
Mutually exclusive

2:c5science:2:c5culture:
2:c5science:2:c5culture: to Every World Wonder on Empire
2:c5greatperson:Great Scientist points
10% of all :c5gold: Gold generated on Empire is converted to :c5culture: Culture
FREE Museum in this City
+5:c5science: to Landmarks and Artifacts on Empire

+5:c5science:Science and :c5culture:Culture to Museums and Research Labs on Empire
- Free Museum is now only in 1 city and not on Empire

West Point
Available at Military Science
Mutually exclusive

2:c5science:2:c5production:
2:c5science:2:c5production: to Every World Wonder on Empire
5:c5strength: City Defense
5:c5capital:Great General Points
10% of all :c5gold: Gold generated on Empire is converted to :c5science:Science
FREE Military Academy in this City
5:c5science: Science and :c5production:Production to Military Academies and Arsenals on Empire
All Siege and Naval Ranged units on Empire receive Splash I
- No more free iron and Artillery Units

Reasoning
Making them world wonders:
  • Making them all full-blown world wonders is more interesting and cool
  • Differentiates America's world wonders from Venice's national wonders
  • justifies their higher production cost
Moving them forward
  • The modern era unlocks were too late. You didn't get a lot of time to play with them. Moving them forward 1 tech level will feel a little better
  • Historically, all of the 3 wonders are Industrial era.
    • The Smithsonian institute was founded in 1818, and the iconic castle was built in 1847
    • West Point was first occupied as a military base in 1778, and was inaugurated as a military academy in 1802
    • Slater Mill was constructed and began business in 1793
Swapping Slater Mill and Soho Foundry
  • The Hoover Dam is more than 100 years older than the other 2 wonders, and was out of place.
  • Slater Mill is a better fit, closer to the other 2 in time
  • The current bonuses in-game, the timing, and even the art used for Slater Mill currently would fit Soho Foundry better
    • Slater Mill uses this icon, from the vanilla civ 5 atlas:
      1688237592757.png
    • That icon obviously is not Slater Mill. It's a generic refinery with modern, red and white smoke stacks, but the Slater Mill is a water-powered cloth mill. It doesn't have smoke stacks
    • Meanwhile, the current refinery uses this icon:
      1688223193856.png
    • The Soho Foundry is the place where the first steam engines were built by Watt & Crick. Watt was the original inventor of what we think of as the first modern steam engine, replacing the Newcomen engine.
    • re: world impact, Soho Foundry has much more to do with coal, steam power, and the industrialization of the world economy than Slater Mill, which is only relevant to American history
    • Slater Mill was the first English-style cloth mill in North America. It marked the beginning of America’s entry into the Industrial Age. But Slater Mill was a river-powered cloth mill that was 20 years younger than the Soho Foundry and the first coal-powered factories in England.
  • Removing the River requirement is mainly flavor, because Soho Foundry is not on a river. It does have balance implications though, allowing any city to build it.
Balance changes
  • The current smithsonian gives a free museum everywhere. Unless you are already inches away from a domination win it is almost always the best pick. The hammers and maintenance it saves on empire can't be outdone.
  • With the industrial unlock we can put a building on each of the wonders from that tech which fit perfectly with the theme.
  • ArmoryArsenal has been moved back to Modern, so that is an appropriate tech level for the 2nd boosted building on West point. With Hoover being replaced and moved sooner we can tie it more into :c5gold: instead of :tourism:. The stock exchange is at an appropriate tech level and theme.
  • Both Hoover and smithsonian gave CV-related bonuses and it wasn’t great to have the two piled up like that. It also made it pretty clear how inferior Hoover Dam was. I’m hoping players can make use of that extra trade route, and that the earlier and compounding global yields on the factories makes the new Slater mill more of a contender.

Last edited:
It's worth mentioning that World Wonders in late Industrial cost 1250 :c5production: instead of 1000.

Armory has been moved back to Modern, so that is an appropriate tech level for the 2nd boosted building on West point.
Umm, you mean Arsenal? Armory is a Medieval-era military building.

I'll be honest. I vote No because I play with the More Wonders mod and couldn't play VP without it.
I don't want changes on Wonders in VP and Slater Mill exists already with MW mod

Slater Mill exists in the base mod. It is not added by More Wonders.

Unless More Wonders has the Soho Foundry as a wonder, it is not affected by this.

I'll be honest. I vote No because I play with the More Wonders mod and couldn't play VP without it.
I don't want changes on Wonders in VP and Slater Mill exists already with MW mod
The mod will definitely adapt to new changes. The congress won't cover modmod compatibility, the mod itself has to be updated to be compatible with latest VP.

Hmm, only thing I dislike is the river requirement being removed from Slater Mill.
It personally made sense to me as the river were still the best transport method for goods even in the industrial era as the other alternative was either railroads or horse carriages. I believe the first industrialised cities were majorily by the rivers too?
Granted I didnt realise Slater Mill was a cloth mill and not a big factory like the picture indicated.

I also liked the river requirement balance-wise as its a strong wonder and being able to build it everywhere might be a bit too nice for it. It's hard to think of an alternative restriction though.

Slater mill, the American wonder, will have a river requirement. It is replacing Hoover dam and that has a river requirement already, so no change there.

The base VP wonder will change to be Soho Foundry. Soho Foundry is on a canal, but not on a river, so I am proposing to remove the river requirement there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom