Approval Vote for Proposal #41

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

azum4roll

Lost the game
Voting Instructions
Players, please cast your votes in the poll above. Vote "Yea" for every proposal you'd be okay with if it were implemented. Vote "Nay" if you'd be okay if these proposals weren't implemented. You can vote for any number of options.

All votes are public. If you wish, you can discuss your choice(s) in the thread below. You can change your vote as many times as you want until the poll closes.

VP Congress: Session 5, Proposal 41
Proposer: @azum4roll

Current Shoshone UA:
Cities claim up to 8 tiles on Founding and 4 tiles on Conquest. Land Units receive a +20% [IMG alt=":c5strength:"]https://forums.civfanatics.com/images/smilies/civ5/strength.png[/IMG] Combat Strength bonus when fighting in friendly territory. All Recon Units can choose rewards from Ancient Ruins.

Proposed Shoshone UA:
Cities claim up to 8 tiles on Founding and 4 tiles on Conquest. Land Units receive a +20% [IMG alt=":c5strength:"]https://forums.civfanatics.com/images/smilies/civ5/strength.png[/IMG] Combat Strength bonus when fighting in friendly territory. Founding a City spawns an Ancient Ruin nearby and immediately claims it.

The reason of having to spawn the ruin (instead of just triggering a reward) is a hidden buff to allow more Antiquity Sites to spawn near Shoshone.

Implementation details:
Ancient Ruin is an improvement. There's currently no trait that spawns an improvement, so new code is needed here.
It should be spawned on a random resourceless and unimproved tile within 3 plot distance of the newly founded city, that is not already someone else's territory. No weighting needed.

Rationale:
  • Currently the AI doesn't know how to use the ruin picker and just picks one randomly, wasting that part of the UA. Humans however can pretty much guarantee a pantheon on turn 20 by picking the faith ruin on that turn.
  • This part of the UA is turned off if Ancient Ruin is off, making Shoshone weaker.
  • The more balanced between ruin types it is, the less useful the ruin picker is. But we want ruin types to be balanced.
  • New UA is always beneficial to Shoshone regardless of ruin balance, and encourages Shoshone to found cities as early as possible to make use of the time when ruins are still useful. This could lead to a different playstyle, which is good for the game.
EDIT: Immediately claims the ruin spawned upon settle. Removed ability of any unit claiming ruins.

VP Congress: Session 5, Proposal 41a
Proposer: @samjooma
Discussion Thread: (5-44a) Counterproposal: Shoshone UA change

Current Shoshone unique ability:
Cities claim up to 8 tiles on Founding and 4 tiles on Conquest. Land Units receive a +20% :c5strength: Combat Strength bonus when fighting in friendly territory. All Recon Units can choose rewards from Ancient Ruins.
My proposal:
Cities claim up to 8 tiles on Founding and 4 tiles on Conquest. Land Units receive a +20% :c5strength: Combat Strength bonus when fighting in friendly territory. You can choose rewards from Ancient Ruins, and you get an Ancient Ruin reward when you found a city.
This means that you can choose ancient ruin rewards no matter which unit (even a civilian unit) takes them, and even when ancient ruins are taken by border expansion. The ancient ruin reward from founding a city can also be chosen.

Rationale:
The original proposal removes the ability to choose ancient ruin rewards, but I think it's is a fun mechanic that should be kept even if the AI can't use it currently.
Spawning ancient ruins makes it possible for them to be stolen by someone who you are at war with or have open borders with, it's better to give the ancient ruin reward directly.

Last edited by a moderator:
This could lead to a different playstyle, which is good for the game.
A bonus on settle mechanic leading to a different play style, as in the exact same playstyle that every other bonus on settle mechanic gives (eg. Carthage, China, and… the Shoshone already).

Golly, I might not have otherwise settled cities without 2 different bonuses for it. Getting 8 free tiles on settle and then a random chance to get 4 more free tiles on settle is certainly a choice.

Yeah, I’m not super into this idea.

Last edited:
A bonus on settle mechanic leading to a different play style, as in the exact same playstyle that every other bonus on settle mechanic gives (eg. Carthage, China, and… the Shoshone already).

Golly, I might not have otherwise settled cities without 2 different bonuses for it. Getting 8 free tiles on settle and then a random chance to get 4 more free tiles on settle is certainly a choice.

Yeah, I’m not super into this idea.
But would you settle cities 30 turns before you would've otherwise? Now that's an incentive!

and Indonesia and Spain and etc

Anyway, not every mechanic needs to be so unique that no other civ has anything smells even remotely similar. There are a lot of mechanics in the game and a lot of civs in the game. A passing resemblance is not a good reason to rule something out.

That said... I think the ruins reward choice thing is a fun mechanic and don't want to see it removed from the game.

That said... I think the ruins reward choice thing is a fun mechanic and don't want to see it removed from the game.
Well then, teach the AI to use it.

EDIT: Immediately claims the ruin spawned upon settle. Removed ability of any unit claiming ruins.

What. "Gain an Ancient Ruins reward upon settling a City".

% chance of Carthage’s settle bonus. % chance of Shoshone’s settle bonus… again. %chance for some other random yield on settle. I just don’t see the appeal; at the end of the day it offers no new incentive other than one the Shoshone had before, no new interactivity. It’s just a steroid.

Last edited:
Not a big fan of this one. Hidden elements of a UA are not newbie-friendly, and that's a weird way of doing it.

Well then, teach the AI to use it.
This should be doable. I can write the code for it if someone has an idea for how it should be prioritized.

The reason of having to spawn the ruin (instead of just triggering a reward) is a hidden buff to allow more Antiquity Sites to spawn near Shoshone
Just, no. This is an awful way of implementing the bonus, and won't meaningfully increase the likelyhood of Antiquity Sites spawning anyway.

I sponsor this.

Voted nay for both of these. I have to say this is singularly the most frustrating and unwanted change of this congress, to my mind.

The proposed bonus is pure jank. Placing ruins inside your territory makes no historic or thematic sense whatsoever. This isn't something that relates to the Shoshone, their history, culture or geography, it's just a way to resolve how some players want to ram the ruins system down the throats of other players, even if those players turn the ruins system off.

This change offers no new gameplay angle or incentive. It only exists to increase the reward for settling. That is something the Shoshone are already rewarded for. It's redundant, all the code of a new ability with no new gameplay. One of the random rewards you could get is even 4 free tiles, a literal copy of what the UA already gives. If the problem is that the Shoshone are weak, then it would be sufficient to take an existing bonus and make it stronger.

This isn't just a bad change that adds nothing other than raw power to a civ in the most convoluted way possible. It's also imperious, forcefeeding players the ruins mechanic whether they want it or not. If I want to play a game as the Shoshone without randomly generated and distributed rewards, or those intrusive Native Tongue ruin prompts, I would now have to go in and mod the civ's kit out in 2 separate places, whereas before it was just an in-game option in the game menu.

Last edited:
The original proposal is a lot of make work for little benefit.

It's also imperious, forcefeeding players the ruins mechanic whether they want it or not.
Ultimately there are many many civs in the game, so many that most people won't even play them all regularly. So having civs that generate specific mechanics is not innately "imperious".

If for example your not a big fan of the deal making game, you probably won't want to play the Dutch, and that's fine. If your not into heavy warfare, the zulus are not for you. If you think bum rushing mathematics is "stupid", the Mayans aren't your jam. And again that's ok, there are SO MANY civs to play, even if a quarter of them aren't to your tastes, you still have plenty to have fun with.

That isn't to say whether this bonus is good, bad, or the right one for shoshone....but I have no issue with a civ that gets some special ruins type benefit even in games that normally doesn't have ruins if that is the civ identify that people want to go with. I think both of these proposals does ruins in a way that doesn't feel "weird" for games that have them off normally, as they have made the ruins benefit "personal enough" that its a benefit shoshone enjoys without me playing another civ doesn't have to interact with.

Now personally if I were to pick I would take the second proposal. I think that gets to the heart of the shoshone bonus that people want, but removes the actual exploration of ruins for the people that turn those off (and guarantees that other civs will never interact with ruins if those are off). That seems a good compromise to me.

Ultimately there are many many civs in the game, so many that most people won't even play them all regularly. So having civs that generate specific mechanics is not innately "imperious".

If for example your not a big fan of the deal making game, you probably won't want to play the Dutch, and that's fine. If your not into heavy warfare, the zulus are not for you. If you think bum rushing mathematics is "stupid", the Mayans aren't your jam. And again that's ok, there are SO MANY civs to play, even if a quarter of them aren't to your tastes, you still have plenty to have fun with.

That isn't to say whether this bonus is good, bad, or the right one for shoshone....but I have no issue with a civ that gets some special ruins type benefit even in games that normally doesn't have ruins if that is the civ identify that people want to go with. I think both of these proposals does ruins in a way that doesn't feel "weird" for games that have them off normally, as they have made the ruins benefit "personal enough" that its a benefit shoshone enjoys without me playing another civ doesn't have to interact with.

Now personally if I were to pick I would take the second proposal. I think that gets to the heart of the shoshone bonus that people want, but removes the actual exploration of ruins for the people that turn those off (and guarantees that other civs will never interact with ruins if those are off). That seems a good compromise to me.
The only visible difference between the two is whether we're keeping the "can pick rewards from ruins" or not. Nobody's teaching the AI to pick.

And whether you teach the AI to pick or not, from a human player perspective it still brings up an intrusive UI window that pauses the game and tells you to pick rewards that the game would have given you randomly, with no button click, anyways. It's intrusive and stilted, and doesn't even give more reward than a normal ruin. With this change even if I turn ruins off I'm STILL forced to interact with the native tongue window.

I will say it again. Picking ruins is not stronger. It's the same yields in an order that you get to pick rather than an order that the AI picks. The main thing it adds is menu navigating busywork. It's a rotten bonus augmenting one of the least-liked, most-optional game elements, and it should die in a fire.

Now does that mean I prefer Azum's version of just bestowing randomly generated bonuses on settle to cities? No, they're both terrible in their own way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom