(6-10) Change the Field Gun Unit's Art

Status
Not open for further replies.

pineappledan

Deity
The current VP field gun unlocks in early Industrial era and uses this icon:
1696194101883.png

It is a French soixante-quinze, a WWI-era field gun.

Proposal:
We should change the Field Gun's unit model and icon to the one used by the Enlightenment Era mod.

EE field Gun's icon:
1696194080101.png

This appears to be an American civil war era piece. It has a similar look to the cannons used in the civil war scenario:
1696194093590.png

Reason for change:
- The current VP field gun is ugly and it's an anachronism.

If the EE mod wants to add a new siege line unit, they can add the current VP field gun back in.

Last edited by a moderator:
EE stripped again, but I'm in.

They may be ugly and anachronistic, but the proposed graphics look too similar to cannons IMO.

for reference:

1698243507515.png
vs
1698243446776.png

I think the portraits look sufficiently different enough.

(the civil war portait is below)
1698244334696.png

Last edited:
I do think the EE unit flag is too similar to the Cannon, but the Civil War scenario flag is very different.

Firaxis Cannon
1698244878642.png

EE Field Gun
1698244807551.png

Firaxis Civil War Rifled Cannon
1698244931081.png

We can try flipping horizontally? Both the unit flag and the portrait. If the units point in different directions they should visually read differently.

While I do visually like the proposed model, I am still unsure it would entirely fit the game's timeframe, which ranges from early industrial (rifiling ~1750) to late modern era (ballistics ~1930).

The proposed model is an early field gun used in the napoleonic wars (1808) and did not have a rifled barrel until later in the American civil war (1861).

By 1900 most field guns did have a rifled barrel, protective guard, and quick-fire mechanisms (more similar to the current howitzer model).

The problem is we are covering almost two whole eras with a single siege tier. So either we get a super early howitzer or we fight WWI with napoleonic field guns. I feel like an additional siege tier is needed.

I will support this proposal, but my suggestion - for next congress - would be:

- Replace the current field gun model with the proposed American civil war model (as proposed); then remove the indirect fire promotion and the movement penalty in enemy territory to represent the higher mobility of these weapons
- Add a new tier called Howitzer using the current model, unlocked at replaceable parts (~1890) with indirect fire
- Push the current artillery from ballistics to atomic theory (1940)

Combat strength is yet to be defined, but let me know what you guys think.

Last edited:
The model that pineappledan linked does indeed look to be the non-rifled version of the American Civil War Artillery.

The rifled version looks like this:
1698263104803.png

1698262847101.png

Funnily enough, the portrait for Cannon and EE Field Gun would fit each other better if they were swapped (assuming we used the art for the Civil War Rifled Cannon)!

Also, to save space, we shouldn't be using the Enlightenment Era modmod graphics, anyway. The graphics already exist in the game, and we can use them as easily as we used to use the Air Ship from the Empires of the Smoky Skies Scenario (and is still currently used in PDan's VP Tweaks modmod).

Last edited:
- Add a new tier called Howitzer using the current model, unlocked at replaceable parts (~1890) with indirect fire
Fun fact, the gun from which our current model is derived is incapable of indirect fire.

While I do visually like the proposed model, I am still unsure it would entirely fit the game's timeframe, which ranges from early industrial (rifiling ~1750) to late modern era (ballistics ~1930).

The proposed model is an early field gun used in the napoleonic wars (1808) and did not have a rifled barrel until later in the American civil war (1861).

By 1900 most field guns did have a rifled barrel, protective guard, and quick-fire mechanisms (more similar to the current howitzer model).

The problem is we are covering almost two whole eras with a single siege tier. So either we get a super early howitzer of we fight WWI with napoleonic field guns. I feel like an additional siege tier is needed.

I will support this proposal, but my suggestion - for next congress - would be:

- Replace the current field gun model with the proposed American civil war model (as proposed); then remove the indirect fire promotion and the movement penalty in enemy territory to represent the higher mobility of these weapons
- Push the current artillery from ballistics to atomic theory (1943)

Combat strength is yet to be defined, but let me know what you guys think.
I like this

It should only require adding 1 icon to the existing icon atlas, so there shouldn't be any changes necessary to the .civ5proj file

MAGI: Thread is locked as this is being absorbed into the master voting thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom