64 bits and Civ s - I'm desperate what to do

krisuli

Chieftain
Hi all,

My last computer broke down and had to get a new one, which is, unfortunately 64-bits Windows 7. I've tried to read and find answers in the web but the thing is I don't understand everything and computer terms are a bit jargon to me :rolleyes:

I found DOS-BOX-program and even managed to download it to my computer, but civ 2 stil doesn't work with it, because I cannot install civ 2 to my computer and my version is civ 2.42A (that's what it says when I try to install it andit refuses to install). Maybe multiplayer would work, but I don't have a multiplayer edition and I asked a shop and they said that there are no used multiplayer-versions available :(

A friend also adviced me to make virtual pc, and I did it but I stil cannot play as graphics lagged.

So now I'm at a loss and I don't know what to do. I have TOT too, but that has different graphics and I don't like it all, I just want my civ 2 :cry:

Please please help me. Is there anything to do about this thing. I just can't bear the idea of never ever playing the game anymore...

I have a patch somewhere that should allow it to work with x64 system.
Problem is, I never tested it. I have a decent machine and part of my ram memory remains unused so I was planning to switch to 64 bit system at some point, but since I regularly play civ 2, its lack of compatibility was a discouragement for me.

Anyway, the program I have is called simply Civ2XP64Patcher.exe, supposedly made for 64 bit win xp, but I'm not sure, it probably works with any 64bit windows system. Dated 2007, size is 438 KB. Try to look for it around the net and give it a try. I'm also curious if it works, please post some feedback if it does.

Anyway, the program I have is called simply Civ2XP64Patcher.exe, supposedly made for 64 bit win xp, but I'm not sure, it probably works with any 64bit windows system. Dated 2007, size is 438 KB. Try to look for it around the net and give it a try. I'm also curious if it works, please post some feedback if it does.
The thread for that is stickied. It's not much good to him if he wants to play classic 16-bit Civ2 because it's only for MGE and ToT (and yes, it works for those games - in XP, Vista and 7). So he's still looking at virtualisation.

A friend also adviced me to make virtual pc, and I did it but I stil cannot play as graphics lagged.
If the game is lagging under Windows Virtual PC, you could always try a couple of alternative virtual machines:
The only other alternative is to get the MGE or play ToT and change the graphics. You will need MastermindX's 64-bit patcher for those. You can find graphic replacements for ToT here. If you really want the classic look, you could try these graphics. Note that MGE and ToT will not play exactly the same as classic Civ2 because the AI tribes are not nearly as friendly. There are a couple of patches to 'fix' that, but I've not tested either of them:

Top Bottom