6otM117 AAR

Eyswein

King
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the 6otM117 After Actions Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please attach your victory save to your post.

- What was your plan for achieving the VC? What are the major steps you planned to take? What events, if any, changed the plan in execution and to what new plan? Any interesting decision points?
- How did the leader bonus and civ unique ability impact your plan/play, if at all?
- How many cities did you settle and/or capture? Where did you settle your first few cities?
- What did you prioritize for technology/civics?
- What were key production/purchase focuses? Military units / Civilian units / Districts & city development / Wonders / Civ Unique Unit & Infrastructure? Most critical or interesting?
- Pantheon chosen and why? Religious beliefs chosen, and why?
- What governments did you select? What key policy cards did you use? Why?
- Which Governors were most important; when and why?
- Was diplomacy/trading useful? How? Relations with other civs?
- Were City-States helpful? Any competition with other civs for key city states?
- When did you have Dark/Golden ages?
- How did the game modes affect or impact your play?

- How were the Barbarians?
- Any surprises/frustration/elations you ran into, how did you deal with it?
- Did you enjoy your game?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

Turn 189 (1280AD) DV

- What was your plan for achieving the VC? What are the major steps you planned to take? What events, if any, changed the plan in execution and to what new plan? Any interesting decision points?

I find RV annoying so it was boats, boats, boats for me. I got a religion but spent too much faith on apostles defending it vs. Byzantium/Portugal, could have just got more boats and wiped out Portugal quicker. Made use of Granada's UI to spam and Choral music to get to Jongs earlier via mercenaries.

- How did the leader bonus and civ unique ability impact your plan/play, if at all?

First time playing Indonesia and didn't realize city centers give faith. Was able to get religious settlements. As mentioned it was a boat party all the way by using the leader ability. Completely forgot about the kampung, never built one.

- How many cities did you settle and/or capture? Made sure to take advantage of the +6 campus in the capital. Where did you settle your first few cities?

Settled four of my own, all costal. One was ~12 tiles southwest of capital for canal city. Cut a few turns of getting down to Lisbon. Captured 24 others, think I razed one English city.

Mercenaries for jongs, Cartography for caravels. Had classical dark age and used the card that gives you 75% science with holy site. Slowed down jongs a bit but zoomed to cartography.

- What were key production/purchase focuses? Military units / Civilian units / Districts & city development / Wonders / Civ Unique Unit & Infrastructure? Most critical or interesting?

Holy sites to get jongs, Alcazar to get to jongs. Two campuses. Took some wonders by conquest but no interest in building them. No theatre squares, encampments or entertainment complexes.

Free settler, choral music for culture, meeting house for production, tithe for the cash.

Professional army was quite helpful to get the melee boats upgraded. Theocracy for the boat discount. Campus adjacency was helpful early, harbor one later.

Got lucky with city state quests. Had Wolin already and used amani to levy Nazca just as I attacked Portugal. They mopped up the land units while I took out their boats. Used Pingala for the sci/culture boost early but most of the game governors were used for loyalty.

Trading only useful when I had the golden age "can't plunder trade routes" going. Traded some luxuries early with far off neighbors before they hated me.

- Were City-States helpful? Any competition with other civs for key city states?

Granada to get some culture, Wolin for the great admiral points, Wolin/Nazca to help vs. Portugal. Would have prioritized Kabul suz but found them pretty late. Didn't have interest in suz benefits from religous, just tried to get 3 in all of them for the faith.

Dark classical, Heroic/Golden the rest of the way.

Not at all really

Those caravels can get real annoying. Had to send a jong south to take out a couple of camps. Brought a worker to clear them out.

Portugal must have been in a uber golden age. I was in golden age myself and they had only one city left (not Lisbon). I even took out Ngazargamu to help but the loyalty flipping was intense. Too many turns retaking Portugal's cities. Final city was out of jong range and they had two quadriemes in the lake picking off my troops. Had to spend a lot of money upgrading levied troops to finish the job.

Amsterdam was only accessible via a one tile path just south of Giant's Causeway but I didn't know until my boats approched from the west side of the island. Bought a bombard corp and took it with a knight instead of the 20 turn detour.

Lost only one jong and one caravel. Got the GA Santa Cruz in 1010 to make a renaissance jong armada.

Found it interesting I took both Amsterdam and Nidaros on the last turn.

First time with Gitarja, didn't realize how strong the jong is. I'm sure I made many mistakes (never built a kampung, finding Kabul so late, didn't have all jongs in formation) but I did have fun. Looking forward to hearing how others navigated the game.

Attachments

• GITARJA 189 1280 AD.Civ6Save
    2.2 MB · Views: 55
RV turn 146

Either Dom or Religious victory was targeted; my game was a bit of both. Started out establishing a religion (Choral Music, Cross-Cultural Dialogue), then went straight for horsemen. Settled three cities myself, then rushed Portugal, taking his two cities and a settler on top, and also stole a settler from England. So by ~ turn 80 I had 7 cities and 4 holy sites up and running.

After that I went for the other established religious powers first: Basil, then Harald, then Wilhelmina (Portugal also had a religion but had been eliminated). Took care of Dido along the way (she had no religion). Only after all other holy site-containing cities had been converted did I get around to converting Maori and England.

Once again surprised at how easy it is to convert even large Holy Cities with a Proselytizer/Translator combo of Apostles. Never took more than 1 charge each.

Had to deal with 3 Emergencies: a full Emergency against England for taking over Portugal, and two Religious Emergencies. None of them required much effort, except I did detour to build ancient walls as a defense against England. Never even bothered to make a jung.

I never play for Religious Victory unless it's a GOTM win condition, so this was a nice change of pace. The last Rel Vic game was with Portugal, another naval power, and I think it took me something like 220 turns to win that one, so I'll take this as a lesson learned! Still a far cry from a turn 100 win as I suspect some others will make, but a good game for me, thanks for the game!

Attachments

• GOTM_117 GITARJA 146 Rel Vic.Civ6Save
    2 MB · Views: 58
DV136
settled in place ,got 1settler with pantheon and settled a third one before starting a war with Portugal while stealing another settler .
Plan was to build 2 or 3 campii then beeline boats and Jongs.
Portugal was out around turn 45 as I turn toward England.
I lost a good 20 turns finding a navy route to the Dutch and Danes cap.
Fun game
Thanks

Attachments

• DV-GITARJA 136 500 AD.Civ6Save
    1.9 MB · Views: 78
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-18 at 8.56.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-18 at 8.56.31 PM.png
    6.8 MB · Views: 116
Religious Victory T194, 703 score, time 15 h

Achievements obtained through this play:
- Top Hat and Monocle: Control a 100% Monopoly on a given Luxury Resource on a Standard sized map or larger.
- All Beneath the Wings of Garuda: Win a regular game as Gitarja.

This was a pleasant game. Joao swamped me with missionaries but only Basil produced apostles that lead to significant religious battles.

My start was a bit slow, as I moved over the fissure and ended cornered in the island, but got a couple of good campuses and solid holy sites. Despite my slow early expansion, I managed to squeeze my third city in between the city states and Joao, stopping his expansion and with time turning Faro to my side.

I only had my first two apostles at T100 but by T157, I had built the Mahabodhi Temple and Hagia Sophia and started to snowball with hundreds of faith per turn. I build an advanced colony in the farthest northwestern islands, Tuban, from where I launched the final assault over the vikings and the dutch with a tsunami of missionaries. Basically, I profited the time while I was building Hagia Sophia to build a Holy site in this advanced colony, cutting travel time for my later boosted missionaries.

Pantheon: God of the Sea
Religion picks: Reliquaries, Holy Order, Papal primacy and Mosques

The shrines and temples of the first two cities were built, the majority of the others, bought with gold. Most of the mosques were built with production.

Built a couple industries (turtles and salt) but did not reach the technology for corporations.

For research, I prioritized Holy site technologies and early navigation. A couple of galleys were enough to explore the globe and find most of the cities, but I went for Cartography quickly afterwards.

I built 11 cities and turned 1 from Portugal through loyalty.

I had friendship relation with all the civilizations through all the game.

All in all, very pleasant game. Thanks a lot!

20210822232920_1.jpg 20210822232937_1.jpg 20210822233023_1.jpg 20210822233510_1.jpg

Spoiler Full log :

1 - :c5greatperson:Ancient Era; Rodinia:trade:
2 - Granada:c5influence:
3 - Majapahit:c5capital:
5 - Village (bronze working)
6 - Nazca:c5influence: Wolin:c5influence:
8 - Slinger:c5production:
11 - Joao:c5influence: Fountain of Youth:c5food: Village (mysticism)
12 - Astrology:c5science:
17 - Animal Husbandry:c5science:
18 - Code of Laws:c5culture: Pantheon (God of the Sea):religion:
20 - Nagazargamu:c5influence:
22 - Holy site:c5production:
24 - Sailing:c5science:
25 - Jerusalem:c5influence:
28 - Mining:c5science:
30 - Settler:c5production:
32 - Pottery:c5science:
33 - Foreign Trade:c5culture:
35 - Ternate:c5capital:
36 - Builder:c5production:
39 - Galley:c5production:
40 - Bronze Working:c5science:
41 - Kandy:c5influence: Atlantica:trade:
42 - Galley:c5production:
44 - Writing:c5science:
45 - Basil:c5influence: Trader:c5production:
49 - :c5greatperson:Classical Era (Free Inquiry) Early Empire:c5culture: Monument:c5production: Amani:c5citizen:
51 - Celestial Navigation:c5science:
52 - Mysticism:c5culture:
53 - Vaalbara:trade:
56 - Kabul:c5influence: Dido:c5influence:
59 - Akad:c5influence: Wilhelmina:c5influence:
60 - Kandy♟ Harald:c5influence: Campus:c5production:
61 - Armagh:c5influence: Kupe:c5influence:
63 - Archery:c5science:
64 - Chinguetti:c5influence: Builder:c5production:
66 - Vatican City:c5influence: Victoria:c5influence: All civilizations met:c5trade:
67 - Settler:c5production:
68 - Yerevan:c5influence:
69 - Shipbuilding:c5science:
71 - Wheel:c5science: Settler:c5production: Badung:c5capital: Builder:c5gold:
72 - Craftsmanship:c5culture:
74 - Granary:c5gold: Valletta:c5influence:
75 - Wollin♟
76 - Irrigation:c5science: Monument:c5production:
77 - State Workforce:c5culture: La Venta:c5influence: Pingala:c5citizen:
78 - Preslav:c5influence:
81 - Iron Working:c5science: Mataram:c5capital: Quadrireme:c5production:
82 - Granada♟ Holy site:c5production: Religion (Reliquaries, Holy Order):religion: Builder:c5gold:
84 - Political Philosophy:c5culture: Classical Republic:c5citystate:
86 - Library:c5production:
87 - Monument:c5production: Builder:c5production:
88 - Masonry:c5science: Drama and Poetry:c5culture:
90 - Settler:c5production:
91 - Engineering:c5science:
93 - Theology:c5culture:
94 - Village (+1 envoy)
95 - Harbor:c5production:
96 - Mathematics:c5science:
99 - Circumnavigation:c5trade:
100 - Temple:c5production: Apostle:religion: Apostle:religion: Barbarian encampment:c5war:
101 - Village (+1 population) Apostle:religion:
102 - Shrine:c5production:
103 - Settler:c5production:
104 - :c5greatperson:Medieval Era (Golden Age - Exodus of the Evangelists) Harbor:c5production:
105 - Games and Recreation:c5culture:
106 - Buttress:c5science: Builder:c5production: Lahore:c5influence:
107 - Recorded History:c5culture: Granary:c5gold: Builder:c5gold: Campus:c5production: Magnus:c5citizen:
108 - Banjarmasin:c5capital: Bima:c5capital: Monument:c5gold:
109 - Apostle:religion: Water mill:c5gold:
113 - Swordsman:c5moves:
114 - Defensive Tactics:c5culture: Moksha:c5citizen: Builder:c5gold:
115 - Evangelization (Papal primacy):religion:
116 - Temple:c5production: Apostle:religion:
117 - Lighthouse:c5production:
118 - Cartography:c5science:
119 - Horseback Riding:c5science: Monument:c5production: Builder:c5gold:
122 - Construction:c5science:
123 - Colaeus:greatwork::c5citizen: Quadrireme:c5gold: Lahore♟
124 - Mahabodhi Temple:tourism:
126 - Feudalism:c5culture: Archer:c5moves: Missionary:religion: Missionary:religion: Missionary:religion: Missionary:religion:
127 - Builder:c5production:
128 - Trader:c5production: Missionary:religion:
129 - Caravel:c5moves: Granary:c5gold: Missionary:religion: Missionary:religion:
130 - Military Tradition:c5culture:
131 - Builder:c5production: Holy site:c5production: Missionary:religion: Missionary:religion:
133 - Settler:c5gold: Commercial Hub:c5production: Missionary:religion:
134 - Machinery:c5science: Granary:c5gold:
135 - Military Training:c5culture: Builder:c5production: Builder:c5gold:
136 - Evangelization (Mosques):religion: Mosque:religion: Shrine:c5production:
137 - Missionary:religion: Crater Lake:c5food:
138 - Apprenticeship:c5science: Man-at-Arms:c5moves:
139 - Holy site:c5production:
140 - Aqueduct:c5production:
143 - Civil Service:c5culture: Shrine:c5gold: Temple:c5gold:
144 - :c5greatperson:Renaissance Era (Exodus of the Evangelists) Temple:c5production:
145 - Lighthouse:c5production: Crossbowman:c5moves:
146 - Shrine:c5production: Temple:c5gold: Valletta♟
147 - La Venta♟
148 - Square Rigging:c5science:
149 - Military Engineering:c5science: Faro:c5puppet:
150 - Divine Right:c5culture: Tuban:c5capital: Monument:c5gold: Water mill:c5gold: Crossbowman:c5gold:
151 - Market:c5production: Builder:c5gold: Lighthouse:c5gold:
153 - Mosque:c5production:
154 - Castles:c5science: Mosque:c5production:
155 - Education:c5science: Trader:c5production:
156 - Mosque:c5production: Granary:c5production: Granary:c5production:
157 - Military Tactics:c5science: Hagia Sophia:tourism: Builder:c5production:
160 - Medieval Faires:c5culture: Grand Inquisitor (Moksha):c5citizen: Piero de Bardi:greatwork::c5citizen: Monument:c5production: Settler:c5gold:
161 - Apostle:religion: Apostle:religion: Missionary:religion: Missionary:religion: Missionary:religion: Missionary:religion:
162 - Guilds:c5culture: Citadel of God (Moksha):c5citizen: Missionary:religion: Missionary:religion: Missionary:religion: Missionary:religion: Nihang:religion:
163 - Mass Production:c5science: Missionary:religion: Missionary:religion: Jambi:c5capital: Monument:c5gold: Granary:c5gold:
164 - Francis Drake:greatwork::c5citizen: Mosque:c5production: Chinguetti♟ Village (+40 gold)
165 - Settler:c5production:
167 - Harbor:c5production:
168 - Reformed Church:c5culture: Trader:c5production:
169 - Village (+1 trader)
170 - Holy site:c5production: Shrine:c5gold: Temple:c5gold:
172 - Missionary:religion: Apostle:religion: Apostle:religion:
173 - Theater square:c5production: Diplomatic Quarter:c5production: Caravel:c5moves: Barbarian encampment:c5war: Barbarian encampment:c5war: Villate (+1 retcon) Nihang:religion:
174 - Apostle:religion: Apostle:religion: Missionary:religion: Missionary:religion:
175 - Library:c5production: University:c5gold: Lighthouse:c5production:
176 - Diplomatic Service:c5culture: Holy site:c5production:
177 - Settler:c5gold:
178 - Industrialization:c5science: Harbor:c5production:
179 - Shrine:c5gold: Temple:c5gold: Mosque:religion: Apostle:religion: Missionary:religion: Campus:c5production:
180 - Stirrups:c5science: Missionary:religion: Missionary:religion:
181 - Mercenaries:c5culture: Shipyard:c5production: Consulate:c5production: Missionary:religion: Missionary:religion: Palembang:c5capital: Monument:c5gold: Water mill:c5gold: Builder:c5gold: Builder:c5gold:
182 - Missionary:religion: Missionary:religion: Jakarta:c5capital: Granary:c5gold:
183 - University:c5production: Missionary:religion: Missionary:religion:
184 - :c5greatperson:Industrial Era (Golden Age - Heartbeat of Steam) Astronomy:c5science: Builder:c5production: Missionary:religion: Missionary:religion:
185 - Granary:c5production: Library:c5production: Industrial zone:c5production:
186 - Banking:c5science: Mosque:c5production: Village (+1 retcon) Apostle:religion: Apostle:religion: Missionary:religion: Missionary:religion: Missionary:religion: Ancient walls:religion: Ancient walls:religion: Builder:c5gold: Granary:c5gold: Barus:c5capital: Granary:c5gold:
187 - Builder:c5production: Lighthouse:c5production: Monument:c5gold:
188 - Harbor:c5production:
189 - Builder:c5production: Village (+1 gobernor) Divine Architect (Moksha):c5citizen: Aqueduct:religion: Builder:c5gold:
190 - Humanism:c5culture:
191 - Gunpowder:c5science: Trader:c5production:
192 - Harbor:c5production:
193 - Barbarian encampment:c5war: Builder:c5production: Lighthouse:c5production:
194 - Mercantilism:c5culture: Amphitheater:c5production: Holy site:c5production: Shrine:c5gold: Temple:c5gold:
195 - Religious Victory:c5happy:

Spoiler City production :

Majapahit:c5capital: (T3): Slinger > Holy site > Settler > Builder > Galley > Galley > Trader > Shrine > Campus > Builder > Settler > Monument > Quadrireme > Library > Settler > > Temple F Apostle F Apostle F Apostle > Settler > Builder € Granary F Apostle > Mahabodhi Temple F Missionary F Missionary > Trader F Missionary F Missionary > Builder > Builder F Missionary F Missionary > Harbor > Lighthouse > Mosque > Trader > Builder F Apostle F Apostle > Trader > Settler > Trader F Apostle > Theater square F Apostle F Apostle > Shipyard > Builder F Apostle F Apostle > Builder > Builder > Trader > Amphitheater > Trader > Government plaza
Ternate:c5capital: (T35): Monument > Settler > Holy site > Builder > Harbor > Shrine > Temple F Apostle F Missionary F Missionary F Missionary F Missionary F Mosque F Missionary € Builder € Lighthouse > Hagia Sophia > Diplomatic Quarter > Consulate > Granary > Jong > Shipyard
Badung:c5capital: (T71): € Builder € Granary > Monument > Campus € Builder > Commercial Hub > Aqueduct > Market > Holy site € Shrine € Temple > Library € University > Mosque > Bank
Mataram:c5capital: (T81): € Builder > Harbor > Lighthouse € Quadrireme > Builder > Trader € Settler € Builder > Holy site € Shrine € Temple > Mosque > Granary > Monument F Missionary F Missionary F Missionary F Missionary > Campus > Library > University
Banjarmasin:c5capital: (T108): € Monument € Builder € Granary > Holy site > Shrine > Temple > Mosque F Missionary F Missionary F Missionary F Missionary F Missionary F Missionary > Harbor € Missionary F Apostle > Lighthouse > Industrial zone F Missionary > Workshop
Bima:c5capital: (T108): € Water mill € Builder > Monument € Granary > Holy site > Shrine € Temple > Mosque F Missionary F Missionary > Harbor > Lighthouse > Holy site Prayers
Faro:c5puppet: (T149): Granary > University > Harbor > Lighthouse
Tuban:c5capital: (T150): € Monument € Water mill € Crossbowman € Settler F Nihang F Nihang > Holy site € Settler € Shrine € Temple F Mosque F Apostle F Missionary F Missionary F Missionary F Missionary F Missionary € Builder F Missionary F Missionary F Missionary F Missionary F Missionary F Missionary F Missionary F Missionary € Granary > Harbor F Aqueduct > Builder > Lighthouse > Shipyard
Jambi:c5capital: (T163): € Monument € Granary F Ancient walls € Builder > Holy site € Shrine € Temple > Aqueduct
Palembang:c5capital: (T181): € Monument € Water mill € Builder F Ancient walls > Harbor
Jakarta:c5capital: (T182): € Ganary > Holy site
Barus:c5capital: (T186): € Ganary € Monument € Builder > Water mill F Holy site

Attachments

• GOTM117 GITARJA 195 1340 Religio.Civ6Save
    2.4 MB · Views: 64
DV T157. Quite a fun game, Gitarja is strong and especially Jongs (because they come so early and require no resource). Though it seems AIs had been hand-picked to be naval civs as well.

I took out Portugal 90% with land units, other civs 90% with naval units. Land army was quite useless after Portugal, though a couple of catapults were helpful in some places. The biggest thing I would change about my game would be to not even DoW England before I had access to Jongs (now I did perhaps 20 turns before and achieved almost nothing, especially as she got Caravels way before me). Strange that in some games you see naval civs making huge navies, but in this game, largest number of ships from any single AI on any location was probably 3.

Also could have utilized religion much more, as I had one, but didn't do anything with it after founding. Well, Gitarja gets quite a lot of faith anyway and can spend it very productively on ships.

Same as @Sid Baker I took out Nidaros and Amsterdam on the last turn. I think with a little more defined strategy, I could have done about T120 victory. In this game what hindered me a bit was thinking that some of the AI capitals might be unreachable from the sea, which was not the case in the end, though 2 of them were a bit tricky. Barbarians are also quite annoying in these maps with lots of unhabitated islands with barbarian camps.

Attachments

• GITARJA 157 920 AD.Civ6Save
    2.1 MB · Views: 58
Religion Victory: Turn 163. Score 820
What was your plan for achieving the VC? What are the major steps you planned to take? What events, if any, changed the plan in execution and to what new plan? Any interesting decision points?

I didn't decide between religion or military initially. I was favouring religion slightly because of faith buying boats on a watery map, but I would take what comes.
Settled in place which was a problem as after I established a great +5 science site I had no place to create a holy site until I could chop rainforests.
Seeing the fountain of youth in the area near Portugal was too tempting not to go for an early war and capture it. Portugal had no iron and rubbish science and no walls. I rushed a bunch of swordsmen a d horses and swarmed him the turn that our friendship expired while I was in a dark age and he was golden. It was close run thing capturing his cities quicker than loyalty took them off me and fun! The religious boost from his 3 holy sites convinced me to switch to Religion

England hated me and declared war, Jerusalem and Nagzarmuz as he allies attacked me, and it was simply easier to take them while fending off England.

Massivly. Jongs were awesome. Buying all those boats with faith was great.

- How many cities did you settle and/or capture? Where did you settle your first few cities?
I think I settled about 5 clties, sticking to the west side of the continent. Captured 4 from Portugal, captured 5 from England. Captured 2 other cities.

Horses for the early war. Iron for the early war. then religion all the way

Holy sites after the 1st/2nd war. I only went for 2 wonders, Hagia Sofia and Mahabadi temple, lost the 2nd with 2 turns to go.

Work Ethic. So good.
Cheep 30% off units

Oligarchy for the wars. The aimed for religious stuff.

Moshka for the boosted units +1 charges.

Once a warmonger always a warmonger. I was hated. Got some early trading but in the end I was universally condemned by everyone.

Religious ones for the boosted faith. I think I had Kandy when I found the giants causeway.
I though having only military and religious city states was funny and really interesting.

Normal -> Dark -> Heroic -> Golden -> Game Win

Nothing really

very annoying, Barb ships were all over the place. BUT my special ability to faith buy ships gave me the edge in numbers and surprise

Yes very much so.

Attachments

• Gitiarja 163.Civ6Save
    2.1 MB · Views: 70
Religious Victory @ T121

I planned to settle no more than 5 cities, have a DoF with everyone to stop them from declaring wars, plan for the Mahabodhi Temple and use mostly Apostles to convert opponents. Figured that a timed RV was much faster than DV. The game went as expected, except the nice surprise provided by the distribution of the city states :lol:

The +2 faith when settling on a shore was good, but not enough for Religious Settlements; had to settle for God of the Sea, but is also turned out useful.

Settled the capital on the spot in order to not lose a turn, and settled 4 other cities. 4 cities total would most probably have been enough.

Went for Astrology/Political Philosophy/Theology for Mahabodhi/Cartography for the open ocean (got it on T99). After that it no longer mattered.

Built HS in each city, built/bought Shrines and Temples, had ~130 faith generation by the end.

God of the Sea, went with Work Ethic and Holy Order for improved production and cheaper units.

Started with Pingala in Capital, followed by Magnus for chopping the wonder and Amani for suzeraining city states for Era Points,

Good relations with all civs, managed to maintain the peace.

Used Granada to set up a few Alcazars that sped up Theology and Cartography; turned out to be more useful than I had hoped.

Normal Classical Age followed by a Golden Medieval One (Exodus of the Evangelists, of course)

Built a couple of Industries that were a nice production boost.

Towards the end the barbs had Caravels, but at that time the game was practically won :)

Very much, and city state distribution was a nice surprise; only figured it out one I've met like 6 of them ... wait a minute :thumbsup::crazyeye:.

Thank you for the game 6otM team!

Accidental CV T279 (1816 AD) - Score 1,799.

Wow, I cannot believe how quickly you all tore this game apart. Per my Opening Action post, I had done nothing towards either VC by T120 :lol:, and true to form of not being very experienced with DV, I clearly did too much settling, city planning, and wonder building because I learned I was one civ away from a CV before I realized I was influential over anyone. I did turn my focus to navy after the opening action post and dove all in on Jongs and managed to ride those to wiping out Portugal rather quickly, then moving on to England, followed by Basil and Dido. Probably about 20-25 turns away from taking those far off capitals of Norway and Netherlands to finish off the DV.

I couldn't resist all of the plum city locations, so I planned to lay down a solid base and then turn attention to Jongs for DV. That worked fine, but I clearly was not anywhere near focused enough on the VC to come close to keeping pace with you all.

Huge impact. First time playing with Indonesia and really enjoyed it. Being the first time was part of the reason I wanted to play with all the bonuses by settling all the cities in prime spots for Kampungs.

I settled 10 cities and kept the four quality portugal cities, as well as the English island to the east, which was comprised of three very nice cities by the time I got there, and I took Preslav for good measure.

Apart from hustling to Jongs, not much beyond a standard approach.

Jongs having no resource requirement was rather critical, as our continent was very low on strategic resources. Two coal and one oil on the entire land mass.
I built a few wonders. Machu, Halicarnassus, Kilwa, Huey.

God of the Sea seemed the easy choice to me. No religion here.

Typical of the longer game and aversion to quick DV, I couldn't be dissuaded from Classical to Merchant Republic to Communism.

Given my investment in settlers early, Magnus was key.

Generally, the other civs sucked in this game. Virtually no luxuries to trade for in the ramp time to warring. Harald was a fan due to navy, but that changed quickly once the wars against Portugal and England were over.

Was fairly easy to dominate the military cs considering I had little need for the religious.

I think it was all golden after Ancient Era.

Again, when I see tea and turtles to go along with the Indonesian advantage for coastal campuses, I cannot resist investing in districts and infrastructure. I had corps on both resources and campuses galore.

A few pesky caravels here and there because AI was generally bad and inevitable on archipelago map.

Poor resources on home continent, both strategic and luxury. In combination with minimal surplus resources from AI civs, I was in a fairly chronic state of unhappiness (I guess another reason that if one's going DV route no need to settle 10 cities...).

Very fun game. Cool first experience with Indonesia. Quite a strong civ for sure.

---

So, this accidental cultural victory thing, I guess obviously if I'm going DV don't bother with wonders and so many districts/buildings/so much infrastructure, but I assume there is also important strategy in how war is carried out. I guess razing cities helps (stops me from acquiring great works)? Is there a rule of thumb for keeping vs. razing when it comes to warmongering?

Domination Victory Turn 118

I thought about settling in place but then decided to go for geothermal to leave space for good 2nd city. Settling two good cities with 2 massive campuses determined the flow: send scouting and aggro galleys while almost beelining to caravels, meanwhile trying to get enough culture for jongs to get through walls. Latter 3rd city to the north made almost no difference. I did not go for religion therefore, though it could've helped, but not enough slots for holy sites till too late in the game.
Galley-rushed Joao's capital and 3rd city, stole settler, and then he refused to peace out for the entire game - rather dumb mechanic IMHO
At this point caravels arrived, and first two upgraded from galleys smashed England which had no walls. Meanwhile scouting galleys found all capitals an even attempted to snatch Maori one, but his reinforcements came too quickly.
I was tricked by the walls in Phoenicia and Byzantium, expecting them everywhere else and finding in no other capital. Had I had such prescience, I would've sent my caravel raids much earlier to Netherlands, Maori, and Norway, while jongs would arrive in the very end to kill the neighbouring "turtles", but oh well. Have still much to learn about the ways of AI in Civ6, so far it doesn't look challenging even on Deity, unlike Civ4.

Attachments

• GITARJA 118 50 AD.Civ6Save
    2 MB · Views: 46
This game is closed for submissions as time has run out.

You may continue to post here and attach saves if you wish. Results will include games above this post.

Top Bottom