6otM61 Opening Action

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to the 6otM61 Opening Actions thread.

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Actions thread once you have completed your game.

- How long did you search for a site for your first city? What criteria did you use?
- Where did you settle your capital city? Your second city?
- Did you make a plan for achieving Culture VC, what are the major steps you planned to take?
- What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
- What was your build order? Was early production handicapped by your Unique Attribute?
- Did you try for a Pantheon? Which one did you select and why?
- How long did it take to find your neighbors? Were they hostile or friendly?
- How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
- Did you try to build any Wonders?
- Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
- How quickly did you get Trade Routes working, who did you trade with?
- How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
- Which Governors did you choose and why did you choose them?
- Was your first age a Dark Age? Did you take any Dark Age cards?
- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
- How were the Barbarians?
- Any surprises?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Interesting things happened in the first 100 turns of my game.

T53 Stonehenge
I have never seen Stonehenge not built this late in all the civ6 deity games I've ever played...
Maybe no AI had access to stones?
I originally planed to chop holy prayers, but instead I 'gambled' a 2-turn chop into Stonehenge.

Surprise DoW by Korea
I almost lost a city a city to Korea. I kind of saw it coming as Korea parked units near my border which allowed me the time to secure resources to upgrade a warrior into a swordsman. Seondeok's DoW timing however was fortunate as it allowed me to get the the Defensive Tactics inspiration just at the right time to get the Limes policy in place to chop a wall. I had to levy Rapa Nui's units to push her back.
It was a well coordinated catapult push. Korea moved its horseman around my troops to try to put my city under siege.

Spoiler :
upload_2019-4-18_5-16-4.png

Bug
Not the first time it happens to me since the latest patch, but it seems that when I finish to research the Bronze Working tech, I get the Iron Working eureka automatically without having any iron mine. I am not sure exactly what is causing this..

Attachments

• KRISTINA 57 1760 BC-IW Bug.Civ6Save
    1.4 MB · Views: 158
- How long did you search for a site for your first city? What criteria did you use?
  • Settled in place ... not a great site. Have never settled late except for plains hills. Maybe I'm missing something?
  • Early scouting found the river and the land rush to the west was on. Second city was settled as far north towards Korea as possible (just south of the horses). Tried to fit 3 cities on the river but could only get two. Couldn't settle any closer to Korea due to negative loyalty / lack of governors that early. As it turns out they were in an early Golden Age which created major loyalty issues.

Not a lot of great city sites ... expected more of a handicap for us mere mortals. Could be surprised down the road though.

Not a ton of luxuries ... Colosseum would be sweet indeed ... but on Deity???

Would broaden my horizon if it is possible to win on deity with relatively average resources.
- Did you make a plan for achieving Culture VC, what are the major steps you planned to take?
  • Been playing culture a lot lately. Dislike warmongering and prefer SimCity / peaceful approach. Not going for earliest finish ... want to enjoy game with as much of the civ "flavor" (e.g., unique abilities, units, etc). It will be as peaceful as possible but I will forward settle aggressively and maybe liberate some city-states. I'm comfortable on Emperor, usually frustrated on Immortal and terrified on Deity (Leaf will be kind to us ... right?)

Two approaches (1) Settler rush then Commercial districts everywhere ... stay measured on culture/science to keep district cost down. Build internal trade routes from every city to capitol (or other city with a ton of districts especially Govn Plaza). These internal routes will provide a hammer for the Commercial district, a hammer and food for Govn Plaza, another food for Theater plus another hammer for an Industrial site. Magnus with Surplus Logic will give another + two food so your internal routes can proved +5 food/+3 hammers/+2 gold ... these routes eventually go to the other civs which will explode your gold economy and you can buy districts building while building Theater projects. Or (2) which is build some Commercial/Harbors before Theaters are available. Then spam Theaters, then back to Science, Commercial, Industrial which is what I'm doing here.
  • Took Mining, Animal Husbandry to see horses (lots available - will be selling to far away civs), Archery, Harbors, Commercial Districts, Apprenticeship for extra hammer on mines, etc
- What was your build order? Was early production handicapped by your Unique Attribute?
  • Scout then super early Settler starting with size 2, worker, anther early Settler to settle the south part of the river down by the two horses ... then a bunch of Slingers for expected Korean forward settling retaliation.
  • Got a relic from a goodie hut which gave super early Pantheon ... chose Divine Spark
  • Korea first as they were close to the river of life ... my aggressive forward settling and low science made them angry. Found everyone else and they are cautious ... probably due to my Korean attack (settler steal) and a city capture ... grievance points are not huge and are fading fast.
  • It took a while as I went for a settler spam. Built a few harbors first ... Theaters everywhere now.
  • On Deity, are you kidding ... I don't typically go for wonders unless it is super important for victory condition anyways
- Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
  • First city was on river as close to Korea as possible, second city was on river to the south. Was building up slingers/archers/warriors for anticipated Korea assault when they dangled a settler trying to squeeze in-between their capital and my northern river city. Decided to grab it and sent it down south to the "Turtle Peninsula". They attacked and almost took me out but eventually their army was depleted. They sent another wave then forward settled. I took that city but couldn't hold it. They eventually sued for peace but the city rebelled several times. The city finally became loyal after their Golden Age ended and I built up enough population around it.

Total of 10 cities by turn 100, one captured from Korea. Still need a tundra and snow city for the Open-Air Museums . Strategy is to cram as many cities as possible to take advantage this unique building ... Have explored much of the map and see 6-8 more city sites including several on small island with just enough land for a city site and a museum (Crab Island way down south should provide a ton of money)
  • At turn 100 I have 3 being built. Will probable be internal. Currently spamming Feudalism workers, then another round of archers (5 turns to crossbows).

At turn 100 Korea has Hwachas, yikes ... they would cut through me like butter. I hope 15 or so archers-->crossbowmen plus a few Swordsmen will be enough for protection. Probably should have gone for Heavy Chariots-->Knights but I always seem to rely on Crossbowmen. I need Printing Press (100% Tourism for Great Writers) so Crossbowman are on that path. Knights are also on the Radio bee-line so
  • Early Empire/Colonization for settler spam, Craftsmanship/Ilkum for pre-Feudalism worker spam, Agoge for military spam
  • Magnes for the chopping and +2 food on internal routes, Pingala for culture/science for each citizen, Victor for protection against Korea
  • Just barely escaped two Dark Ages ... should be better this period with Monumentality and District spam (now that settler, worker, military spams are winding down ... districts become the focus)
  • Rapa Nui is being pounded by Egyptian Marryanne Archers but they haven't sent any melee units yet. I'm going to try and block them as this is the only cultural city-state I have found.
  • Very tame
- Any surprises?
  • YES ... World Congress passed resolution banning Great Writer points ... about 30 turns remaining. This may actually help as I'm just getting up to speed with my GW points and Gorgo already has 6 GWs. I hope to purchase these from her with future Diplmo points while dominating any future GWs after the resolution ends.

This is my first attempt at a GOTM and boy have I made some mistakes. I never normally play deity. I've managed a win on it with Rome a while back but I usually play on emperor and haven't adjusted well enough.

I waited 2 turns to settle on the olives by lake Retba. I wanted the luxury to trade asap

My second city I located on the river to the west in attempt to block Korea. I had also scouted the immediate area and found city locations on different terrain and in which 4 cities would be able to connect their theatre districts with a government plaza.

I began to consider theatre square locations as well as the open-air museum. I placed map tacks for a national park in my 3rd city.

I went for mining then animal husbandry to find a settle for horses. I then forgot I was on deity and tried to go for a religion by researching astrology, which I feel has been my downfall in this game. I lost out and wasted precious early production. Wish I'd gone for writing earlier to pop up some earlier campuses.

I went scout, warrior, settler, slinger and was able to buy an early builder by trading the olives. As I said above I stupidly went for an early holy site. If I were to replay I would have spammed out 2-3 more settlers.

Took quite a while to get it and went for divine spark.

Found korea very quickly and they weren't happy to see me. They started massing their troops around the borders of my second city. I was able to build up a good enough defence before they surprise warred me. I fought them back and the gave me a favourable peace deal. They declared on me again soon after the 30 turns were up and they're a lot stronger. They've taken 2 of my 3 cities (my 4th settler captured by a barb while I was distracted with korea). I've killed most of their troops and current laying siege to one of my cities. Hoping I can take both back and capture one or two of theirs but it could go either way and I wouldn't be surprised if I get game over in 30 turns. Even if I make it out of the war I don't see this game turning into a victory.

Stupidly priorised a holy site and quickly. Wish I'd gone for campus but put it off until I had 4 initial cities settled.

Considered a stonehenge chop but didn't go through with it.

I should have 4 out but one settled has been captured. In an ideal world I'd have 6-8 because Korea is a beast.

Got my trade route up quite quickly. Traded with korea before they declared war on me as I wanted the science and they gave me a bit of production. After I traded with city-states for cash to purchase units in the second war.

Agoge and settlers main priority.

First govenor had to be victor as korea had declared on me and my second city had loyalty problems after korea forward settled me.

I was close to a golden age. Second age is a dark age and I have twilight valour

rapa nui, cardiff and bandar brunei. Went for rapa mainly because korea was as well and I didnt want them to have them as they're right on my borders

Not too bad, a horseman killed one of my archers but otherwise they haven't caused any major difficulties

- Any surprises?
Just how bad some of my decisions have been

This is not going well and I think I've already guaranteed my loss.

TL/DR: Settled in Place Turn 1

TMI: Immediate decision is whether to move closer to Lake Retba: Settle in place with lake in 3rd ring, or move to get it inside 2nd (or 1st) ring.

my first inclination was to settle on turn 2, 2 spots west of start.
Second inclination was to settle one NW, staying coastal and binging the lake into the second ring.

I don't think it would be more beneficial to move away from the wonder, so I discard the idea of looking south. So, to see if anything would change my mind, I moved the warrior on NW onto banana hill. It wasn't particularly exciting, but then my thought process considered:

holy site adjacency, wouldn't want to remove banana, then best adjacency is far side of lake, do I really want to move on a strong religion start... and would that be beneficial to a CV, and would that early push just leave me too vulnerable on a Deity game. So, I've talked myself into settling in place.... again.

Not really anything more thought through than build theater squares as soon as I can, and try to get as many great works as possible, with a secondary thought of planting the open air museums, and find settling sports to build the multi-terrain bonus. As of turn 100, not doing well on either count.

First tech, mining, to quarry and chop wood - timing with a first build builder.

Then Animal Husbandry to Expose Horses, I get Archery Eureka, in spot to the Southwest of Capitol with the 2 adjacent Horse tiles.... so, I guess I know second settle spot.

I've been focusing tech reaches for military techs and back-filling from there. Focused on Knights over Swordsmen due to no iron - thinking horses, knights, go for that.... It shows I really need to have more of the basics memorized. So, I have knight tech, but no iron to build them (also, forgetting that horsemen don't upgrade to knights.... making deep mistakes all around)

Builder, Slinger,(Monument bought or chopped?), Settler

Slotted God King, Chose God of the Open Sky (+culture to pastures) - not really worth it given time policy was slotted and the resulting pantheon... Another mistake.

Turn 10, Korea. Immediate -6 modifier. Didn't bother with Delegation

Encampment first in capital, as I wanted to have an aggressive posture towards Korea, attempting to learn my lesson from previous under performances.

No.
I wanted to emphasize expansion, hoping to take a couple neighboring cities.

I ended up razing a Korean City that I couldn't retain loyalty on, but after defeating their first wave, the second wave would be more advanced units, so I needed to get a profitable peace prior to taking any cities. By turn 100 I've settled 3, but am in a posture to defend and spread out mercilessly. I'm probably way behind, so I just need to grind out more cities and hang on for dear life defensively as Korea is skyrocketing past me.

I believe I bought a trader 1 turn available, and did an internal route for roads as much as production.

Military unit production focus for red, started with God King, then +1 Production ot all Cities ealry, then + % to Builders or getting closer to turn 100.

Magnus for Chops, then Pingala for the population sci / culture bonus.

Dark ages / didnt use cards.

Rapa Nui was Suzerain, then Egypt and Korea Declared on it, Egypt took it, Korea then voted for the Emergency and is going after it for theirselves.

Exactly enough to get Eureka in a timely manner, and otherwise pose no threat,

- Any surprises?
Not really, but shows I'm not a Deity level player. Now going to try and grind this out and see if I can steal a win.

My game was over by turn 20.

Moved and settled on the olives. Promptly traded them to Korea. Also bought an early worker with designs on chopping in Stonehenge but, as explained below, never even got started.

I settled as close to Korea as I could, on a spot with a -2 loyalty penalty, then bought a monument. Unfortunately, the early development cost me. And Korea DOWed me almost immediately.

Never got that far. My initial plan was to build Stonehenge to get to theater district quicker. Never got there, Korea DOWed me and wiped out my army.

Started with Astrology to move towards Stonehenge since the natural wonder unlocked it for me. Went with +faith to try to get an early Pantheon.

Scout, popped a builder out of a hut, then switched to settler, then went with 9 straight warriors and 3 slingers to fight off Korea. She killed them all and captured my second city. I suck at war. I simply do not understand the math.

Initially wanted +2 faith on quarries but had to swap policy cards to get max production to fight off Korea. Belated picked up +1 culture on pastures.

Within 10 turns I found Korea. She denounced almost immediately and then DOWed.

I never got one built before I lost.

Nope.

Yep. I built one city and Korea took it from me almost immediately. I never got back on my feet and shut the game off at turn 80.

Never made one.

Went with Ping because I was so crippled with the early setbacks that I had no culture. Was maxed out on production of military units for the war.

Dark Age. No.

Met a few but never got so much as a single envoy.

A camp to my south continually spawned horsemen who teamed up with Korea to attack me.

- Any surprises?

I am not a deity-level player, but I've won deity games before and I did not expect to lose this badly so fast. When Korea DOW me, I had 1 slinger and one warrior in my closest city to her and one more warrior on the way. She showed up with 4 warriors and 2 slingers. I killed one of her warriors and continually churned out warriors from my other city every 3 turns and a slinger in the vulnerable city. Overall I built 9 warriors and 3 slingers trying to hold the city but she killed them all and took it. Then she moved on my capital with 1 heavy chariot. I had 3 warriors at full health fortified in forest tiles. That one chariot killed all 3. I played out the game half-heartedly to turn 80 and shut it off. Very disappointed, I thought I'd learned a thing or two but war remains my weak point. I just do not understand the math. The AI can take out fortified units in fortresses with 1 chariot, if I try that, I lose my units. I don't understand how it works.

I took another stab at this one, and tried to basically copy my opening plan from my prior game, but re-play the war with Korea. There were a number of mistakes I made in my prior game that cost me units, and the margins on deity are thin.

Screen 1: I settled in place to get the bananas early on rather than move for the olives. Not sure if that mattered, but the early game sure felt better.

20190427072038_1.jpg

Screen 2: Like last time, I forward-settled Korea once I found them.
20190427073051_1.jpg

Screen 3: Korea declared a surprise war but I fended it off. It took everything I had and she threw about 4 waves of units at me, but with smarter unit placement, and buying up the forward tiles, I kept her away long enough to kill off most of her units. Note that I somehow got Cleo on my side here.
20190427110045_1.jpg

Screen 4: By turn 90, I had 6 cities and a 7th en route, got Korea on my side with some gifts, but I forgot to renew a Friendship with Cleo and lost her for the rest of the game.
20190427115644_1.jpg

This game went much, much better, and I would eventually go on to win it on turn 313. The only major decisions I changed were where to settle, and how to defend the city I forwarded settled against Korea. I was also more aggressive about cleaning up barbarian camps, which helped.

Top Bottom