6otM79 Opening Action

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to the 6otM79 Opening Actions thread.

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Actions thread once you have completed your game.

- How long did you search for a site for your first city? What criteria did you use?
- Where did you settle your capital city? Your second city?
- Did you make a plan for achieving a Culture VC, what are the major steps you planned to take?
- What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
- What was your build order?
- Did you try for a Pantheon? Which one did you select and why?
- How long did it take to find your neighbors? Were they hostile or friendly?
- How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
- Did you try to build any Wonders?
- Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
- How quickly did you get Trade Routes working, who did you trade with?
- How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
- Which Governors did you choose and why did you choose them?
- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
- How were the Barbarians?
- Any surprises?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

- How long did you search for a site for your first city? What criteria did you use? I crossed the river and settled on the grassland so I wouldn't waste any production by losing the woods.
- Where did you settle your capital city? Your second city? One hex west of the start position. 2nd southeast at the mouth of the river on the coast.
- Did you make a plan for achieving a Culture VC, what are the major steps you planned to take? I was going to try to get some theater squares up.
- What did you research and which policies did you choose and why? Things with eurekas so as not to fall to far behind
- What was your build order? Scout,builder,slinger,warrior,settler
- Did you try for a Pantheon? Which one did you select and why? Yes I met a Jerusalem and managed to snag religious settlements.
- How long did it take to find your neighbors? Were they hostile or friendly? I found Pericles and Cleo fairly early.Then Cyrus,Saladin,and Gilgamesh.Cyrus declared of course.I think it was turn 95.I hate him and I'm going to destroy him.Well I'm going to do my best anyway.
- How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
- Did you try to build any Wonders? Holy site I was hoping to get a religion so I could take choral music.No luck.
- Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns? Five.
- How quickly did you get Trade Routes working, who did you trade with?Got one up pretty quick and sent it to the Jerusalem for suze
- How did you play your governance cards, priorities? Barb card and Agoge because I figured Cyrus would declare.God King,colonization and the builder card.
- Which Governors did you choose and why did you choose them? Magnus chops Pingala culture
- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side? Jerusalem and Granada because of Cyrus.I've met seven others as well
- How were the Barbarians? Not bad.
- Any surprises I'm saddened by the lack of hills. lol

Spoiler :

• How long did you search for a site for your first city? What criteria did you use? Our thoughts: we don't need no stinking criteria. Let's settle where we are.
  • Where did you settle your capital city? Your second city? The first in place, choosing the second site was difficult. Our warrior has spotted a sweet location in the south, but it was far away and Persians had been spotted in the vicinity. So the doubting settler on its way south turned west. We headed through the pass do to some fox trapping there.
  • Did you make a plan for achieving a Culture VC, what are the major steps you planned to take? We noticed several civs close by so the first priority was to expand a bit, with good production and district options. Very soon, it must have been around turn 40, we noticed a band of Persian warriors sneaking north towards Rome. So then building up military and science (for upgrades) became important.
  • What did you research and which policies did you choose and why? Basically tried to take as much advantage of eurekas as possible.
  • What was your build order? It must have been builder, scout, slinger. I forgot what came next
  • Did you try for a Pantheon? Which one did you select and why? Happy to have got the free settler Pantheon, since rapid expansion was a main goal. We also got a religion, with the Reliquaries belief (triple tourism for relics). It came in handy because one of our scouts managed to find a relic in a tribal village.
  • How long did it take to find your neighbors? Were they hostile or friendly? The first three neighbours were met quickly enough. Although we left them enough room, the Persians were not friendly at all. Later the Greeks declared a surprise war too. We hope to take some of their cities to return the favour. The Persian cities are too far away at the moment.
  • How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize? The first district was a holy site, followed by a campus. We also built a commercial district. Cultural districts have yet to come, I hope their delay won't hurt us too much.
  • Did you try to build any Wonders? Not yet. Very busy doing other things.
  • Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns? Yes, expansion was important. At turn 101 we have five cities and two settlers underway. No cities were captured yet.
  • How were the Barbarians? Present, but the first camps were taken out by other civs and city states, so it was actually hard to find good barbarian camps for the barbarian related eureka's.
  • Any surprises? Sure. Of course the geography was rather surprising. But the most surprising was finding out that you cannot lose a city to city state troops (or maybe only the capital?) A sizable army of Persian warriors, together with a single spearman unit, tried to take Rome. Two Roman archers and a warrior, waiting for reinforcements. were just able to hold them off before Rome would have fallen. But then an even larger group of units from Granada, which was a Persian suzerain, approached and we could not hold them off too. Luckily all the Persians had been defeated for the moment, but Rome was attacked twice without any hitpoints left. Normally it would have been captured, but apparently city state units can't do that. It was a huge relief. Some turns later, a new wave of troops from Granada appeared, this time levied by the Persians. By that time Rome had walls and reinforcements, so that attack could be parried too. All in all it was a very close escape.

Last edited:
Interesting - I knew that city states cannot capture cities but I thought they razed them if at war. So Rome was attacked at 0 HP and survived?

Interesting - I knew that city states cannot capture cities but I thought they razed them if at war. So Rome was attacked at 0 HP and survived?
:yup: That is exactly what happened. There was surprisingly little consequence. If I recall correctly, there was not even a population decrease or some other negative effect. Not that I was complaining, but it seems to me that some kind of punishment should have been in order.

Top Bottom