6otM95 Opening Actions

Eyswein

King
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the 6otM95 Opening Actions thread.

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Actions thread once you have completed your game.

- What was your plan for achieving a Religious VC? What are the major steps you planned to take? What events, if any, changed the plan in execution and to what new plan? Any interesting decision points?
- How did the leader bonus and civ unique ability impact your plan/play, if at all?
- Where did you settle your capital city? Why? Your second city? Why?
- Early order for technology/civics? What did you prioritize for technology/civics?
- What was your early build order in your capital and other early cities? Military units / Civilian units / Districts & city development / Wonders / Civ Unique Unit & Infrastructure? Most critical or interesting?
- Pantheon chosen and why? Religious beliefs chosen, and why?
- What governments did you select? What policy cards did you use? Why?
- Which Governors did you choose and why did you choose them?
- How long did it take to find your neighbors? What did you do for early diplomacy/trading? Peace or War (and by you or them)?
- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you nurture to your side?
- Did you achieve Dark/Golden/Heroic ages? What dedications did you take and why?
- How were the Barbarians?
- Any surprises/frustration/elations?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Sorry for posting on announce thread.

I settled on T1 on the cows so that I would:
  • preserve as many choppable tiles as possible
  • get a +2 holy site without using a good tile (turned out to be +3)
  • have a +3 harbour
It's essentially a loss of 2 production until I get my first tile expansion where it drops to 1. Then when I quarry on that first tile, it evens back up. With the chops and the holy site adjacency, I think that's worth it.

Spoiler :

2020-09-18 11_17_50-Sid Meier's Civilization VI (DX11).jpg

I discovered a plains hills on the other side of Roirama so I got my 2nd city > 10 turns before Australia and immediately dropped a +4 holy site.

Because I had 1st built a builder, I could get the quarry and farm eurekas and chop the holy site in my 2nd city. Because my 2nd build in my capital was a holy site too, this set me up for a district discount chain starting with an encampment. The "wasted" charge on the farm in my 2nd city is so that it could grow fast enough to build a 2nd district.

Here I am at T29 having just discovered Bronze Working, 1 turn after Oz declared on me. I don't quite have my defenses out but I should be able to hold it.

My facepalm luck has meant that both my holy sites are on horses and iron respectively, which is actually huge when you consider it would realistically be 15 turns min before I could get a builder onto those resources.

I can't remember the last time I opened builder first and I've never built a district as 2nd build but it looks like it might work out.

Spoiler :

6otM95 T29 Iron Working and War.jpg

Because of the early holy sites, I got my prophet without a buy or city project on T51.
Work ethic because I have such good holy sites and Crusade because Australia wants my bacon and isn't in the running for a religion.

Spoiler :

6otM95 T51 Religion.jpg

After this I went Oligarchy for the melee bonus, spammed immortals and used the wildcard to get a great general early.

With crusade, oligarchy and battering rams it was the easiest early war I've fought for ages. Conquered Australia T86 which netted me a bunch of campuses with libraries, basically.

In another lucky twist of fate, I didn't meet any other AIs until after I'd conquered Oz so no grievances.

Here's T100. I've got Ancestral Hall, Monumentality & Feudalism so I'm just in the process of settling all the empty area around me.

Thanks Leif et al, this is the most interesting game I've played for ages.

Spoiler :

6otM95 T100.jpg

Last edited:
Playing at 1.0.4.8
Turn 1: My plan for achieving a Religious VC is going for an efficient victory. Regarding (half of) the civ's traits I will try to go for a victory, by conquering all ai opponents who founded a religion and converting them (along with others ai's at random order).
The leader bonus is something I always try to play with. But now I'm not interested in the trade component, although I might use the culture bonus as a benefit. First focus is getting a religion ASAP.
My warrior went up. I doubted to settle on the starting spot or the stone area. I choose to build my city on stone and I want to build next to it the stonehenge wonder (and accept to lose one turn in science and culture). I hope there is place for SH since I'll not sacrifice the marble.
I start te develop religion related civics. Astrology for sure. +3 era score in total.
Turn 2: I got lucky concerning my city, seeing grassland southwards next to the stone I settled on. I will Build a scout, and my citizens will work the marble. The warrior is going inland to scout and find villages (before AI does find the villages). +6 era score in total.
Turn 3: First barbarian scout noticed.
Turn 4: first barbarian camp noticed. I move my warrior away from the barbarians. Barbarian scout dissapeard northwards.
Turn 6: Astrology researched. It seems I cannot build Stonehenge on the grassland south of my capital (although it is next to stone and on a grassland). is it a bug or is it because I settled my city on stone? It is still possible to build stonehenge to the north, but then I have buy a tile. I don't have the money yet and my scout isn't finished. So I wait untill both are ready.
Turn 7: Astrology researched. Seems I have got lots of science. Going for animal husbandry (only 4 turns), then mining (because of chopping woods for Stonehenge, or archery when there are lot of barbarians).
Turn 9: Panteon choice. Religious settlement. My city had one pop, so no pop burn (not sure if it would of city had 2 pop). Growth rate and extra city is nice at higher levels where ai tend to expand fast.
I see a green/yellow line left of the warrior. Is it Australia? I want to build my second city as close as possible to my neighbour, because of my conquest goal (and avoid loyalty problems in the early game).
Turn 10: It is Australia. They show me their city. Canberra is left of me.It seems that Australia has only one more city yet. And they don't like me (-3). +1 era score (I will not mention the era scores anymore, since it is not interesting to mention). I will probalby lose my settler to the barbarian scout that suddenly appeared. I should have kwown better, but I'll take it back later (hopefully).
Turn 11: Somehow the stupid ai (as we all know it is stupid) is moving away from the settler (thank you fireaxis). I take my settler back to the capital. It will only move with the scout alongside it. Animal husbandry is finished as is code of laws. I choose survey and urban planning and I will go for archery and foreign trade (ASAP to theology to buy a apostle to found a religion, if the Stonehenge trick will fail). I keep my warrior nearby the second city where the barb camp is located and give up scouting for the time being (which doesn't help me to find a second continent and villages).
Turn 12: scout finished. Barbarians discover my city, but I'm going to kill this scout before it reaches its camp. Seems I can build stonehenge south to my capital after all. Ok! We are going fot it (fun AND risky factor to build SH, I think it is not as efficient as building a holy site). My citizen is working the wood tile.
Turn 16: buying the stone tile north to the national wonder (+2 faith, +2 science).
Turn 18: archery completed. Mining (only 2 turns).
Turn 20: Mining completed. Going for my immortal (melee unit with ranged combat? Can it take a city?). So bronze working, then iron working. Build my second city where I wanted it. Build monument in Susa for culture. it's time for re-exploration with my scout and warrior. Susa has -1 amenity. I notice that I don't see luxury resources (is it therefory that the description of the game on the forum was 'legen-dary'?).
Turn 21: Capital + 3 population. It is crowded already...I finally kill that barbarian scout with my scout who was wandering around. I make more science than Australia, which is funny at this difficulty level.
Turn 22: I'm thinking about Susa not to grow to 2, since my capital will then suffer amenity problems. 15 turns to SH from now....
Turn 25: Foreign trade finished. I switch policies to discipline and go for early empire. I notice that with EE I can build my special building.
Turn 26: Denounced by Australia for settling nearby. Barb camp from turn 4 (above Susa) is developing a horse unit. In the barb camp there is a spear man. I will fortify my warrior on the other side of the river and I will let the ai attack me (war of art in civ 6 is to get attacked on, instead of attacking in melee fighting (I hope my plan works)). Scout is fully healed and will explore the south of my capital.
Turn 27: A barbarian scout is spawned. My warrior was attacked by the spearman. The barbarian horseman is ready to attack. It still holds the line (like the spartans in the movie 300). And Susa has grown to 2, since I forgot to avoid growth Susa. It seems it doens't matter the amenity level in my capital after all.
Turn 28: Bronze working is finished. I research pottery since my capital has housing levels 3 out of 4. My warrior still holds the line (and got promoted). But....someone else finished SH.I convert the hammers building a holy site directly underneath my capital (+3 adjenceny bonus). Only 3 turns to build. Scout is exploring desert terrain.
Turn 29: All attackers died and I sneak into the unguarded barb camp. It looks like Australia is building an army.
Turn 30: first village taken by scout. Only 30 gold as a price.
Turn 31: Pottery discovered. Holy site completed. Build a builder in the capital, because there is a luxury resource hidden next to my capital after all (my fault I overlooked) AND the worker can create my special building (pairidaeza), which is good for culture, which leads to theology faster.
Turn 32: I'm buying the iron tile, which is left to my capital. I could have done it earlier, but I didn't notice. Too busy writing this text (for myself, and probably one or two readers if I'm lucky)
Turn 33: Susa finished its monument.It is going to build a holy site next to the vulcano (+4 adjacency). Scout is discovering rain forest south to the desert. Switched culture civic to mysticism and wait for my cities to grow to six.
Turn 38: Worker completed. Marble tile improved for luxury. Building a shrine, because without religion it's game over. One religion is founded (SH), but 3 players make more GPP per turn then I do. I need to hurry.
Turn 39: Mysticism completed. Switching back to early empire. Civic boost in 2 turns.
Turn 41: I'm micromanaging working citizens between my cites. Cities are now unhappy after 6 citizens in total. I'm looking for new luxuries. There are none. I discovered Sydney. I found a village. Civic boost. Still no city states though.
Turn 42: Iron working finished and early empire. Going for machinery via the wheel (2 turns only) and going for theology. Choose governor Pingala, because of science and culture boost. I could have chosen Victor or Moshka, but I don't need them (now). Improving second quarry.
Turn 44: wheel discovered. Going for engineering.
Turn 46: switching Culture to craftmanship. Shrine finished. Building granary in capital. Capitalize iron.
Turn 47: My warrior runs into barbarian troops. 1 archer, 3 warriors. And another barbaraian scout found Susa.
Turn 48: warrior died. I went too far with it.
Turn 50: Craftmanship finished. Agoge selected to build immortals. Switch science to horseback riding, to make horseman to support immortals. Susa finished holy site. Building shrine. Classical era starts. Normal age. Choose science dedication. The AI cities that I will conquer will give the needed boosts.
Turn 51: Military strenght Australia 201, Me 10. I will have to speed up my army.
Turn 54: Capital is building first immortal. 6 turns.
Turn 57: finished Horse back riding. Writing selected (1 turn only).
Turn 58: Sailing selected (1 turn only). Both cities + 4 population. Citizens managed to maximize production.
Turn 59: Masonry selected (1 turn only).
Turn 60: immortal created in capital. Building a trader to make connection to Australia so I can move my army fast and make use of the civic trait of speeding up along roads). I have 568 faith + 22 per turn. I can buy GP, but I want to buy a GG. 3 religions founded. I have faith ;) that I will get a religion, so I keep calm. Going for stirrups. Susa finished shrine. Building 2nd immortal. Open borders with Australia to scout their terrain.
Turn 62: Drama completed. Great prophet recruited. Religion founded. Work ethic and Lay Ministery founded. Somehow I thought I needed temples to found a religion. Now it seems it doesn't I choose State workforce and then Political Philosophy. Autralia has a huge army (286). But I will kill them all.
Turn 65: Trade route finished (got eureka). Trade route straight going to ozzyland. I'm thinking about declaring war once the route is finished. Discovering Autralia. Nice grounds. They got iron though.
Turn 66: Victor selected as a governor in Susa. Many Australian units nearby. I hope he attacks me. I found Jerusalem.
Turn 68: It's on. I got a surprise war on me. Another good thing is that I got 2 know 2 more City States. I buy my GG with faith.
Turn 69: Susa is under attack. I didn't really pay attention and forgot to move my GG before I attacked. It's tricky for the city to survive, because there are many enemies.
Turn 70: It's going ok! The enemies will not conquer my city.
Turn 71: I'm killing melee units, because ranged units cannot conquer cities. Still building immortals with both cities.
Turn 72: Thank you Ai for training my army and killing yourself! My scouts has stolen 2 workers and is pillaging their terrain.
Turn 73: A barb scout will probably kill my trade unit, but I offer a worker as a bait. Building a heavy chariot in capital.
Turn 74: Barb scout went away. I face minus 2 gold per turn.
Turn 75: Oliarchy selected (conscription, caravansaries, diplomatic league and agoge). Going for Military Tradition (flanking bonus for my melee units!). My Scout got killed by a horseman (less maintenance costs though). Going for the offensive now, since I killed a lot of enemies!
Turn 76: A nice army of 5 immortals and a GG heading for Sydney. Worker builds Pairidaeza.
Turn 77: Going for theolgoy.
Turn 79: Switch science to irrigation to clear a marsh.
Turn 80: attacking sydney. Attacking a barb swordsman with my army of 5.
Turn 81: Irrigation completed. Marsh cleared. Going for apprenticeship. Army of 5 attacking sydney. Waiting for a real melee unit to take the city in a couple of turns.
Turn 83: Theology discovered. Recorded history to research. Australia wants peace. NO. 2 envoys to Lisbon and Non Madol. Counts as 4. Then switch government to cahrismatic leader.
Turn 84: I got 2 chariots. And 7 immortals. Building a temple in the Capital.
Turn 85: Sydney captured. Gained loyalty. Building holy site. Australia has no walls in other citeis. It will be blitzkrieg. Apprenticeship completed. Going for engineering.
Turn 87: another peacy treaty offer. No!
Turn 88: Engineering completed. Going for shipbuilding. Susa finished Immortal. Building temple.
Turn 90: Normal age: exodus chosen. I will convert cities in this era!
Turn 91: World congress: 1 resolution that benefits me: 100% production for CC buildings. Capital builds monument. Canberra is taken. Loyalty gained with Pingala. Campus + Library + Barracks + Apadana (this wonder has no real benefit for my game).
Turn 93: They got a knight! Capital building ancient walls (2 turns). Canberra builds granary.
Turn 94: They summoned a city state to help (levied military). Knight is defending the city and not attacking it (thank god). I created a missionary and a apostle. +36 faith per turn.
Turn 95: Autralian city is heavenly defended by the knight and Castor, so I cannot siege. Evangalize belief: holy order.
Turn 96: Mathematics and recorded history discovered. Going for divined right with games and recreation. Moshka appointed. Going for construction. Scriptore chosen (adjaceny bonus).
Turn 111: Things didn't go as planned. The city was hard to take. Swarms of suzerained armies and australian knights got into me. I defended, gained promotions (even elite units!), builded horseman and catapults, but lost a lot of time. No blitzkrieg!
Still I have a lot of fun!

In the capital you built a worker, then a holy site and then.... a settler? Correct?

Settler was from Religious Settlements. Pretty sure I built slingers and spearmen with a shrine somewhere in there immediately after. I purchased a scout as soon as I could afford to, which saved me from a couple of barb invasions from the north.

Sorry, didn't get notifications for some reason. Looking into it.

I also stole a settler from Oz with my scout at one point.

Top Bottom