6otM99 Opening Actions

Eyswein

King
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the 6otM99 Opening Actions thread.

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Actions thread once you have completed your game.

- What was your plan for achieving a Domination VC? What are the major steps you planned to take? What events, if any, changed the plan in execution and to what new plan? Any interesting decision points?
- How did the leader bonus and civ unique ability impact your plan/play, if at all?
- Where did you settle your capital city? Why? Your second city? Why?
- Early order for technology/civics? What did you prioritize for technology/civics?
- What was your early build order in your capital and other early cities? Military units / Civilian units / Districts & city development / Wonders / Civ Unique Unit & Infrastructure? Most critical or interesting?
- Pantheon chosen and why? Religious beliefs chosen, and why?
- What governments did you select? What policy cards did you use? Why?
- Which Governors did you choose and why did you choose them?
- How long did it take to find your neighbors? What did you do for early diplomacy/trading? Peace or War (and by you or them)?
- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you nurture to your side?
- When did you have Dark/Golden ages?
- How were the Barbarians?
- Any surprises/frustration/elations?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

- What was your plan for achieving a Domination VC? What are the major steps you planned to take? What events, if any, changed the plan in execution and to what new plan? Any interesting decision points?
Honestly, in the first 100 turns I didn't really have a plan for the Domination condition. I think there is no obvious tactic with Netherlands for Domination, except maybe that my Unique Unit may come in handy. So my priority for the first 100 turns was to:
  1. Survive = have enough military to survive barbs, surprise wars or at least intimidate or befriend my neighbours to not attack me
  2. Settle = bring plenty of settlers out to settle as much land as possible for a strong production, science and culture base
  3. Build Infrastructure = Harbors, Campuses and a few Industrial Zones
  4. Explore map to find all civs and especially their capitals
  5. Try not to fall too much behind in Science and Culture
- How did the leader bonus and civ unique ability impact your plan/play, if at all?
I used the river adjacency bonus a lot for my city planning, marked out the ultimate spots for Campuses and Industrial Zones.
The Trade Route Culture bonus gave me one or two extra culture per turn, so no game changer but a small boost. I had three trade routes at Turn 100.
Polders have not yet come into play but I have started planning some good Polder spots.
I did not yet research Square Rigging so the De Zeven Provinciën is not yet available, but I plan to use it

I settled in place. It is a great starting spot with plains hills, the two Truffles, the nearby Wonder providing faith for the Pantheon, a good (+3) Harbor site, Fresh Water and coastal for the Sailing boost.
My second city, I placed East, next to a River because I wanted to forward settle England a bit and I wanted my city at a River for the adjacency bonuses.

- Early order for technology/civics? What did you prioritize for technology/civics?
Early Tech order: AH, Sailing, Pottery, Writing, Astrology, Mining, Bronze Working
Early Civic Order: CoL, Foreign Trade, Craftsmanship, Early Empire, State Workforce, Political Philosophy
For Tech, I wanted Galleys and Campus quickly, so my priority went that way. I also wanted to see if/where I have Horses and Iron. Astrology was researched as it is required for Celestial Navigation.
For Civics, I beelined for Political Philosophy. I also wanted EE for the Colonization policy and State Workforce for Ancentral Hall.
I managed to have Eurekas and Inspirations for all my early techs and civics.

- What was your early build order in your capital and other early cities? Military units / Civilian units / Districts & city development / Wonders / Civ Unique Unit & Infrastructure? Most critical or interesting?

My build order in Amsterdam was: Scout, Slinger, Settler, Monument, Slinger, Galley, Galley
Generally there were plenty of incredibly good Campus and Industrial Zone spots. My best Campus was +8 but I had as well +6 and +5 Campuses. The River adjacency bonus was very useful.

Our Island was filled with Breathtaking tiles so I went for Earth Goddess and the plenty of faith generated was very helpful

I went for Classical Republic since I was doing peaceful first 100 turns
Discipline was helpful to fight all barb camps on my island. I used Colonization and Ilkum a lot. Maritime Industries was slotted in to build my two Galleys quickly in the capital.

Magnus for the Provision bonus - I didn't chop anything as there was not much to chop.
Pingala for Science & Culture bonus

- How long did it take to find your neighbors? What did you do for early diplomacy/trading? Peace or War (and by you or them)?

Since I built Galleys early I met all but one civ quite early and have used them heavily to boost my gold income. I have built friendship with most of them and traded Open Borders, Horses, Iron, Diplo Favors and spare luxuries.

I was the first to meet Kabul and Auckland and my Galleys have found plenty of others. I had quite Difficult quests (Great Writer, Great Merchant, Trade Routes far away) for most City States so I didn't get a chance to suzerain a lot. Lisbon was the first I managed to suzerain, but it was mainly for the Era score.

I managed to get a Golden Age in Classical but then the Medieval I was 10 Era score from the Golden Age. I'm on a good progress for Golden Age in Renaissance.

At most I had 4 camps on my small island at the same time but I managed to fight most of them quickly with my few Military Units as they didn't have other things to do (no exploration needed). Also, no barbs managed to get Horsemen.

As I will depend a lot on our Navy in this game it is a very interesting selection of Civs. All of the heavy Navy Civs are in the game: Harald, Victoria, Dido, Suleiman.
The mountain placement on our island is obviously interesting and surprising. Combined with Geothermal Fissures it gave plenty of good Campus spots.I guess it also helped with the high Appeal on our island.
There were also plenty of Tribal Villages and I had good help from them: +1 Pop, Foreign Trade Boost, Experience, +1 Pop, Boost for Masonry

Screenshot Turn 100

Spoiler Turn 100 :

20201117170052_1.jpg

Turn Log first 100 turns
Spoiler Turn 100 :

T1: Settled in place, Warrior discovers Mato Tipila wonder, nice start location :)
T9: +1 Pop from Tribal Village, buys faith tile for 50G to work it together with the 2 Trufles. Barb Camp discovered to the East
T13: Decides to switch to Sailing because I have a feeling we are alone on our continent and I will need a Galley quickly
T15: Barb Camp destroyed
T17: Slinger kills Spearman for Archery boost. Meet England and sends her a delegation. We have mountains between us so we should be safe for a while.
T20: First Settler finished, starts on Monument to boost my Culture
T22: Eyfjallajökull discovered, New Barb camp to the far east and a barb scout pops up from the southeast.
T24: Scout killed as Eyfjallajökull explodes
T25: Kills a barb scout for Bronze Working boost. Settles Rotterdam to the East, next to the river. Buys a Builder for 200g. Rotterdam starts on Monument
T27: Foreign Trade finished, slots in Maritime Industries
T28: Barb Warrior approaches from the South
T29: Meets Kabul and gets an Envoy. Declares Friendship with England
T31: First Galley created, sails West
T32: Buys 2/2 tile in Rotterdam
T33: Found the Barbcamp to the south with my Slinger. Meets Auckland and gets an Envoy. England sends a delegation
T34: Kills barb camp to the Far East with my Warrior. Second Galley created for Shipbuilding boost. Switches out Maritime Industries Policy for Discipline. Selects Earth Goddess as Pantheon as I have tons of Breathtaking tiles on my island, inlcuding several tiles that I'm already using. Boost my faith to +13/turn immediately
T37: 10 Turns left of Ancient Era, I have 20 era score and need 5 more. Campus would be +3, then a Barb camp or meeting some civs with my Galleys.
T38: Sells 20 horses to England for 3 gpt and 8 gold.
T40: New Barb camp shows up Southwest of Amsterdam. That's the 4th in total on my "island" so far. Meets Geneva, no envoy. Monument completed in Rotterdam, starts Builder
T42: Slots in Ilkum Policy, Appoints Magnus in Amsterdam
T44: The Hague settled next to Mato Tipila for +3 Era score. Met Yerevan, no envoy
T45: Meets Pedro, sends delegation
T46: Meets Lisbon, no envoy. Completes +6 Campus (!!) in Amsterdam for +3 Era score
T47: Enters the Classical era in Golden Age (27 Era Score). Choses Monumentality because of my massive Faith income. I might have went for a Religion but feel I will not need it for a Domination victory. Upgrades Magnus with Provision. Slots in Colonziation. Buys a Trader in Rotterdam and a Builder in The Hague for my faith.
T48: Meets Harald, sends delegation. Sells 20 horses to Pedro for 3 gpt, 8 gold. Barbs showing up from the far south east - I have 3 active Barb camps on the island, it's starting to become a problem and I need some more military.
T52: England offers 2gpt, 2 gold, 17 favor and open borders for open borders with me. Sure thing! Now that's what I call a good friend
T53: Destroys two of the barb camp in the same turn. Only one south of Eyfjallajökull remains. My Warrior is close to it
T54: Political Philosophy finished, switches to Classical Republic: Charismatic Leader, Colonization, Ilkum and Agoge policy cards slotted in as I'm building Settlers, Builders and Military Units (Warriors & Slingers) at the moment
T60: Renewed Friendship with England
T62: Ancestral Hall finished in Amsterdam, Settler pumping can start
T69: Suzerainity of Lisbon, meets Mohenjo-Daro
T72: Meets Indonesia, sends delegation and Nan Madol
T75: Meets Suleiman, sends delegation
T77: 10 turns left of Classical Era. I need 7 more Era Score to avoid a Dark Age
T78: First Harbor completed in Rotterdam for +3 Era score
T82: First Holy Site completed in Utrecht for +3 Era score. Upgrades a Warrior to Swordsman for +1 Era Score. Meets Tamar. Loses Suzerainity of Lisbon
T84: Becomes Suzerain of Mohenjo-Daro
T87: Enters Medieval Era in Normal Age (52/62 Era Score): Free inquiry selected
T88: First vote - Culture Bombs for my districts and Melee units +5 Strength, I get 2 Diplo points. Friends with Pedro
T89: Friends with Indonesia
T99: +6 Industrial Zone (!) finished in Amsterdam
T100: Finally destroys last Barb Camp south of Eyfjallajökull. 3 Niter discovered in my cities.

At Turn 100 I have:
9 Cities settled
Score 271
49 science per turn (last place)
40 culture per turn (second to last place)
126 gold per turn
53 faith per turn
I have met all civs but one - I know from the Gossip that it is Phoenecia.

Last edited:
Welcome to the 6otM99 Opening Actions thread.

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Actions thread once you have completed your game.

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Near to 80... interesting to read

Top Bottom