[Database] (7-NS) Ironclad and later naval melee require Iron + Iron buildings buff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yngwie

Chieftain
Problems:
We have long-standing logical contradiction – ironclad and later melee naval Units don’t require resources (Iron) to be built. It’s mainly because iron is limited and already used by Siege and Naval ranged Units and also by Minefields.

Therefore, to allow iron requirements for naval melee there should be another source of Iron in middle and late game. For this purpose we have 2 buildings which provide Iron resources:
Ironworks provide 2 Iron (can be built in 1 City)
Refinery +1 Coal, +1 Iron, +1 Oil (can be built in 5 Cities)

Proposal:
Ironclad and later melee naval Units require Iron resource to be built
Ironworks provide 4 Iron
Rafinery provide 2 Iron, 1 Coal, 1 Oil

Rationale: With this change we have +7 additional Iron recources from buildings - that's more than enough. I guess it's a rare situation when a player have more than 7 melee naval Units in total, cause there only a couple of them is needed for naval invasion.
Now a player can choose what to prioritize - a naval defense or a land defense against naval invasion (artillery and minefields also require Iron)
These changes solve a logical contradiction. Also Rafinery now is really worth to be built.

I guess you're playing on a lower difficulty? 7 naval units is nowhere enough for any invasion. It's not much different from using 7 land units to try to take a non-coastal city in Industrial.

I guess you're playing on a lower difficulty? 7 naval units is nowhere enough for any invasion. It's not much different from using 7 land units to try to take a non-coastal city in Industrial.
Probabaly you got it wrong. I talk about melee naval Units - 7 of them is more than enough even on Deity. Their role is to protect emabked land and ranged naval, so there is no need for more

This would mean both naval melee and ranged would have a unit with a SR requirement. I don't think that is a good idea.

This would mean both naval melee and ranged would have a unit with a SR requirement. I don't think that is a good idea.
Anyway, naval power is a very specific field. Not every country have a massive fleet, even though most of them have access to water. Probably this change will better reflect the reality and the high cost of military ships in last century

Sounds like you should just retire if you don't have Iron but start coastal, as every naval defense (Siege, Ships, Mine Fields) requires Iron while you only have 4 of them before Refineries.

Sounds like you should just retire if you don't have Iron but start coastal, as every naval defense (Siege, Ships, Mine Fields) requires Iron while you only have 4 of them before Refineries.
it will just give you a hardtime between industrialization (Ironclads) and Plastics (Rafineries). Some kind of dark ages. Nevertheless, we have trade deals, City-States etc.; their role will just increase in situations of deficit

Right now I play on Huge Planet Simulator - have 58 ironclads and build more, because I got DoW from 2 AI and 2 others are might start a war. Started with 16 AI and 36 CS.
I think that proposal should take in consideration map sizes. May be 15+ for large and 25+ for Huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom