A few annoying problems I have with my computer

general_kill

Deity
My ctrl + alt + del screen doesn't appear when I do it. Is the screen an option that I can turn back on? Is there anyway to fix this?

When I print something in MS, it goes to fax instead of my printer. I basically have to goto file and manual change the "Printer name" to my printer to print. As soon as I close MS and then open it again, the printer goes back to "fax" and I have to do the whole thing over again. Is there anyway to set my printer as the default?

My ctrl + alt + del screen doesn't appear when I do it. Is the screen an option that I can turn back on? Is there anyway to fix this?

What does appear?

When I print something in MS, it goes to fax instead of my printer. I basically have to goto file and manual change the "Printer name" to my printer to print. As soon as I close MS and then open it again, the printer goes back to "fax" and I have to do the whole thing over again. Is there anyway to set my printer as the default?

Start>Settings>Printers and Faxes, right click on printer, select "set as default printer."

Nothing at all happens? Are you sure that your Ctrl, Alt and Del keys are all working? The Ctrl-Alt-Del function is an integral part of windows... there's no way to disable it that I know of. Do a thorough check for viruses and spyware ( http://housecall.trendmicro.com ).

There are more than one possible way to press ctrl+alt+del, tried any other combinations? Do you have another keyboard nearby to eliminate the possibility of keyboard malfunction?

Right-click your desktop, select New > Shortcut.
In the first box, put taskmgr.exe
Name it anything you like in the second box.

Double-click your new shortcut. If the Task Manager screen doesn't appear, then it's likely that file is damaged. Do this:
Start > Run > type "sfc /scannow" in the box, without quotes.
This runs the System File Checker which should replace the bad file with a good copy.

If the screen appears, then it's very likely a keyboard problem as the guys said.

Double-click your new shortcut. If the Task Manager screen doesn't appear, then it's likely that file is damaged.

Task manager isn't called until you press the appropriate button on the Ctrl-Alt-Del screen... taskmgr.exe wouldn't have anything to do with that screen showing. To get task manager, you just have to right click on the task bar and select it from the menu.

Speedo said:
Task manager isn't called until you press the appropriate button on the Ctrl-Alt-Del screen... taskmgr.exe wouldn't have anything to do with that screen showing. To get task manager, you just have to right click on the task bar and select it from the menu.
Really? Ctrl-Alt-Del brings up Task Manager immediately for me, no intervening screen. I'm using XP SP2. Perhaps I modified something long ago...

Thanks for the TaskBar tip, hadn't noticed that :)

Apparently so, but I can't find it anywhere. There are Group Policy options to choose what's displayed on the Ctrl-Alt-Del screen, but nothing about sending you straight to task manager. Dunno, every XP/2k box that I can remember brings up a menu screen.

It's the welcome screen vs. traditional logon box (and maybe welcome screen + fast-user switching combined) that determines whether you get the task manager with no intermediary dialog, or you get the old WinNT/2K popup first.

Mike Feury said:
Right-click your desktop, select New > Shortcut.
In the first box, put taskmgr.exe
Name it anything you like in the second box.

Double-click your new shortcut. If the Task Manager screen doesn't appear, then it's likely that file is damaged. Do this:
Start > Run > type "sfc /scannow" in the box, without quotes.
This runs the System File Checker which should replace the bad file with a good copy.

If the screen appears, then it's very likely a keyboard problem as the guys said.

I did it, and the taskmgr.exe icon image actually shows up for the short cut. But when I double click it, it says "Another program is currently using this file."

Top Bottom