A few q's on CS's...

Walter R

Great Engineer
Some things I've been meaning to ask for a while:

1. Noticed that in late game I usually get offered poorer deals than earlier for cash (i.e. amount of influence that 1000 gp buys, not duration of influence) - is this the norm?

2. Sometimes the requests seem physically impossible. In current game my on-island neighbour CS is on a 1-tile wide isthmus with a lake in the middle, but asked for a road. If I tried to build a road (missing out the lake tile) would I find that the CS accepted that? Or would somehow the game provide a suspension bridge? Or is it as I suspect just a random quest that can't be fulfilled...:confused:

3. Is there a way to tell when I can next expect a military CS to gift a unit? (like mousing over some target or other).

4. Is the rule concerning proximity of cities different for CS proximity? At the end of my last game I had a mad settling frenzy (just messing about, game long since won) and found to my surprise that I could settle on an island 2 tiles from a CS - bug or legitimate mechanic?

thanks for any answers.

I can answer the last one... there is a bug that will allow you to settle close to another city on another continent. Other than that, I don't know.

1. Not sure about this
2. Build a harbor and it will count as a road.
3. no, it is random with in certain bounds
4. not a bug, you are settling a different landmass and the 4 tile space does not count.

1. Yes, it's normal. Since you make more money in the more modern eras than you did in the past, you can pay a little more for influence. Like, if you are making +300 GPT in the modern era, it'd be too easy to ally CSs. So they made it more costly as you go. Each time you enter a new era there is usually a notification saying CS gifts changed value or something along those lines.

I think all the other questions were answered good enough for you, so I'll just leave my two cents at 1.

1. Yes, it's normal. Since you make more money in the more modern eras than you did in the past, you can pay a little more for influence. Like, if you are making +300 GPT in the modern era, it'd be too easy to ally CSs. So they made it more costly as you go. Each time you enter a new era there is usually a notification saying CS gifts changed value or something along those lines.

I think all the other questions were answered good enough for you, so I'll just leave my two cents at 1.

I wish they scaled the dollar amounts instead - since early gold gifting is basically prohibitive. Of course, cheaper early influence would be a good bonus but that bonus already happens some of the time by luck anyway - a lucky string of early CS alliances being a total random game-changer as is.

Regarding the OP, I've never seen an isthmus with a lake - guess you better get started on the Mackinac Bridge wonder haha

Regarding the OP, I've never seen an isthmus with a lake - guess you better get started on the Mackinac Bridge wonder haha

You'd be right - blind boy here mistook an oasis! How dumb do I feel now?!:hammer2:

4. Is the rule concerning proximity of cities different for CS proximity? At the end of my last game I had a mad settling frenzy (just messing about, game long since won) and found to my surprise that I could settle on an island 2 tiles from a CS - bug or legitimate mechanic?
Map size plays a role here. I believe on large and larger maps the 3-tiles inbetween distance always needs to be respected, regardless of whether it's a different landmass or not. CS or not does not make any difference (although for diplomatic reasons I wouldn't easily settle extremely close to a real civ).

Top Bottom