A few questions...

Hmmm. Maybe it requires you edit the events.txt with notepad. But that could be risky, if you've stuck to the editor so far. Be careful anyway, because if you edit the events with the editor AFTER you've been editing it with notepad, you could end up losing your work. I've personally never used the editor, I just stick with notepad.

How come the quarters don't work? -if you set the turn interval to -3, the game should pick 4 particular months that it cycles through every year. [notice which ones] These months you change in the labels.txt, to the relevant seasons. Done. :D
Do this as the last last thing, or playtesting or something else might f**k up the turns.

This should work. It is not uncommon to see scenarios that starts with, say, turn 1 being Jan 1850, turn 2 being Apr 1850, turn 3 being July 1850, and turn 4 being Oct 1850, etc. In this case, you'd just change Jan to Winter, Apr to Spring, July to Summer, and Oct to Autumn, in the labels.txt.

*incredulous voice* Really!!!

I never could get it to work, as when I change it to ANY negative number, it just recognizes it as twelve. And then counts it off as monthly. But changing the labels won't work then, as the years get all screwed up (as I learned very painstakingly)

You are dead on about the screwing stuff up part, I have a whole laundry list of stuff I have managed to screw up already, (Many hours of repairing damage done by an errant click on the next turn button:)), but I am now finally happy with what I've done...

Except with the Events file...

I've only used the editor so far, and it seems that not too many of the pros use that option... But I'll look around and see what I can find out...

Which scenario did the quarterly thing? Do you remember it by chance... Then I can just see how the creator did it and go from there...

I am a horrible thief!:D

Another minor, yet vital version divergence discovered here, it seems. A -3 correctly causes straight monthly intervals with MGE, while with civ2 classic it provides bimonthly intervals (Oct-Dec-Feb...etc)... so does -4 and -6 it seems...

Yipppeeee!!! IT WORKS! I got it :king:

What you gotta do, is very carefully, literally do as you're told :D
1) change the turn interval to -3
2) change the starting year, and multiply that year with 4 (very important)
3) save as scenario
4) quit and begin scenario to test

This procedure guaranteed works with civ2 classic. And I'll be damned if it shouldn't work with MGE as well. It damn right ought too. :cool:

nope, we're talking about the cheat menu here, so these things can't be done outside the cheat menu really [well some things in the cheat menu can in the rules.txt, but the cheat menu overrides them in any case]...

please could you be so kind to report back if it works with MGE? -now I've tested it with civ2 classic I'm pretty confident it works with MGE as well, but you never know... anyway, just changing the turn interval caused similar dumb results, the key is really calculating the starting year correctly, so I suppose this is the case with MGE too... :king:

Originally posted by Case

In cheat mode you can disband cities the same way that you disband units (i.e. move the curser over the city in view mode, then hit Shift+D). This is an undocumented (and very handy) feature. :king:

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT... BUT THAT'S TRUE !!!!

Morten, I will test that stuff out later today, and report back my findings.

The disband city function mentioned above was truly a lifesaver (several times!).

O.k. It does skip into four month intervals now (YAAAAYYY)!!!

But the math is, as my president would put it, fuzzy!:D

Multiplying it by four only brought my game year to 949, when it should be 1874...

I will continue to test, but thanks for the knowledge so far...

My current turn is 1305 (949A.D.)

When I double that, it only goes to (2610) 1275 A.D.

When I double that, (5220) it goes to 1928.

Subtracting 40, (5180) puts me back ten years 1918.

Testing as I go here :D...

So in order to get back to 1874, I would need to subtract 176...

And it worked...:D

Now, if my calculations are correct, every year counts as four, and the Start year in Scenario parameters is ignored completely... I can enter any value, restart and it only looks at the "Set game year value"

So the only thing that matters is the set game year where you save at...

So my time problems are now worked out...

I will test the half year stuff too, and see if I can come up with a working formula for that...

BTW The months to change are April, July, October, and January, with April being the year changer.

Now I must move on to the events stuff!

The disband city function is huge... but I also got the feeling that it is a little less clean way of removing those cities than actually destroying them. Loading in my saves with civcity, I discovered that it reads those disbanded cities as if they still existed (probably because the "destroyed flag" isn't set right when disbanding them). Anyway, so long as it works, noone will know. :D

Good to hear you've got the calendar reform working now!

I posted it in another thread, but how do I make, then post screenshots on this site?

Silly story about calender reform; I played the scenario for quite a while, then discovered that seasonal stuff took entirely too long (unless I set the paradigm through the roof).

So I shortened it considerably by making it yearly... The less is more stuff wore off on me I guess...

My next scenario will be seasonal though, so it still helped out...

Originally posted by JValdezToo
Hey Patrick! Long time no see buddy.

Sorry I missed your post on my first pass. A belated Hi to you too.

Flatlander,

as for the screenshots, you need to get a freeware program called Hypersnap Dx. You can find it easily by searching for it using any search engine like lycos or google.

To attach the screenshots, there is a browse button at the bottom of the input window when you are making a post.

As I multi-play test it, there will be more questions probably:).

As for the print screen, it doesn't work for me.

I blame it on Microsoft:).

To elaborate : simply press "print screen" once, when you've got the screen you'd like in the game. Start paintshop or other graphics application, or just keep it running while you run civ2, then paste. You don't need to exit civ2 or anything.

Anyway, if that doesn't work for you, you'll have to do with a snapshot util like the one Koby recommended.

All I can say is that you are the man Morten...:)

The first part worked, now on to the second...

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17725

Nothing too exciting, but since it's really specifically for Multiplayer (Diplogaming), it's kinda special.

And I worked a long friggin time on it...

:crazyeyes:

Originally posted by Morten Blaabjerg
To elaborate : simply press "print screen" once, when you've got the screen you'd like in the game. Start paintshop or other graphics application, or just keep it running while you run civ2, then paste. You don't need to exit civ2 or anything.

WTF! Why didn't you say so earlier (like 2 years ago).

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't you master scenario creators EVER talk to each other?

And I mean the master stuff seriously!

Thanks for all the help, and the handy tips!

Originally posted by kobayashi

WTF! Why didn't you say so earlier (like 2 years ago).

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

This makes me appreciate your work even more, you went through so much trouble to make screenshots....

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Top Bottom