A few reminders for testers

Rhye

's and Fall creator
I would like to remind you a few things that I need feedback on.

1. The new map! It's a huge change, that required a lot of effort but I think that it was worth it. Not only loading times but also the world stage dynamics seems to be greatly different now. Starting locations might also need some adjustments.

2. The late (Industrial and Contemporary) tech tree

3. The unit class cap, with associated possible exploits of upgrades. Only playing through the various upgrade chains we can have a clear view.

4. Unit movement (they are all increased since a few versions)

5. Historical Victories, at least the ones that are implemented.

Now that crashes are more rare, there are no more excuses! XD
Have fun!

Played a game as France so
1. Before the unit caps I could make 1600 without turns taking forever on my terrible computer. After that but before the new map I could make 1700 and now I made 1825 and might have been able to push further if I had the patience. So in conclusion much better performance
2. I've only made it to the mid to late industrial era but it seems alright. Does feel like too much content per tech and most of it is military focused.
3. With the Unit cap the pressure in war is no longer to keep on par with your enemies but if you want to not stalemate you need to have the next round of military techs(like having gunpowder and chemistry vs medieval units.
other than that its good.

Personally, I think I'd keep all the units but add more techs, reduce the current cost of techs to balance tech speed and space out the content. Other than that I'd say that I don't use the airship or land-ironclad. With the extra mobility in the later eras tanks aren't a nessacity to win anymore since infantry, ranged units and planes can do similar damage and are cheaper.

Interesting. The airship is supposed to have kinda unique abilities, right? What if it's anticipated to Steam Power?
Land Ironclad has been out of the mod for quite a long time.

Re-extending the tech tree is out of the scope. Just need to slim a bit what's redundant.

> Now that crashes are more rare, there are no more excuses! XD

One of the things holding me back from playing is that ancient era games often start to occasionally crash after a certain point. I've noticed it with Rome, China, and India (starts happening 500BC-500ADish) I can confirm this is still happening with v85 with at least China. Usually I can load an autosave and play for another 5-20 turns, but it's not easily reproducible without playing for a while waiting for a trigger.

Note that this didn't happen with France, so I'm assuming it's related to ancient era starts.

Are there any logs I could send that would be helpful?

Lua.log and net_message_debug.log
which are inside
C:\Users\...\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\Logs
immediately after the crash (do not restart the game).

Also if you have a savegame that reproduces it, that would be the best

I've been playing a lot of ancient/classical starts recently and no crashes for me.

I'm not understanding how unit caps work. I was able to build like 5 ships of the line while having at least double the number of privateers. Are there different caps for different unit classes?

these should be the caps:

UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '5' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_WORKER';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '7' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_WARRIOR';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '7' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_SCOUT';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '7' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_ARCHER';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '7' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_SPEARMAN';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '7' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_CHARIOT_ARCHER';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '7' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_SWORDSMAN';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '7' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_HORSEMAN';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '7' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_CATAPULT';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '7' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_KNIGHT';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '7' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_CROSSBOWMAN';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '7' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_PIKEMAN';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '7' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_TREBUCHET';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '7' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_LONGSWORDSMAN';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '7' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_MUSKETMAN';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '7' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_CANNON';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '7' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_LANCER';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '7' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_RIFLEMAN';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '7' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_CAVALRY';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '6' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_INFANTRY';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '6' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_ARTILLERY';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '6' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_TANK';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '6' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_ANTI_TANK_GUN';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '3' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_ANTI_AIRCRAFT_GUN';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '3' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_PARATROOPER';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '4' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_FIGHTER';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '4' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_BOMBER';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '3' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_ATOMIC_BOMB';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '5' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_ROCKET_ARTILLERY';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '5' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_MECHANIZED_INFANTRY';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '5' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_MODERN_ARMOR';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '4' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_HELICOPTER_GUNSHIP';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '3' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_MOBILE_SAM';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '4' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_GUIDED_MISSILE';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '4' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_JET_FIGHTER';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '4' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_STEALTH_BOMBER';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '3' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_NUCLEAR_MISSILE';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '6' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_GALLEY';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '6' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_TRIREME';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '6' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_CARAVEL';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '4' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_FRIGATE';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '5' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_IRONCLAD';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '4' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_DESTROYER';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '3' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_BATTLESHIP';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '5' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_SUBMARINE';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '3' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_CARRIER';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '4' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_NUCLEAR_SUBMARINE';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '3' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_MISSILE_CRUISER';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '2' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_MISSIONARY';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '7' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_COMPOSITE_BOWMAN';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '6' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_GATLINGGUN';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '5' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_GALLEASS';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '6' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_GREAT_WAR_INFANTRY';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '3' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_MARINE';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '4' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_TRIPLANE';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '4' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_WWI_BOMBER';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '6' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_WWI_TANK';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '6' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_MACHINE_GUN';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '6' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_PRIVATEER';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '2' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_INQUISITOR';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '5' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_BAZOOKA';
UPDATE UnitClasses SET MaxPlayerInstances = '4' WHERE Type = 'UNITCLASS_AIRSHIP';

Oh I was just recalling by memory so I've evidently exaggerated :p
I was thinking, would it be difficult to show a counter like "nbuilt/max" in the city screen when you hover on the unit list? Would allow for better informed decision making,like do I really want to build this tank in New Zealand if it means I cannot build another one in London?

@Rhye just tried again, another crash. Nothing for those files:

Lua
```
[137.875] Initializing Lua 5.1.4
```

net_message_debug
```
[195.781] DBG: Civilization 5: App Version: 403694 FINAL_RELEASE, GameCore: {83F34FF0-3D60-43E7-AEDB-82C79867EE3F}, version 1.0.0
[206.640] DBG: Civilization 5: App Version: 403694 FINAL_RELEASE, GameCore: {83F34FF0-3D60-43E7-AEDB-82C79867EE3F}, version 1.0.0
```

I'll try removing all mods and reinstalling, thanks for the tip @PiR

Removing all the mods and reinstalling has fixed it, it seems! Thanks again.

Reactions: PiR
Top Bottom