A general strategy for Kupe's Maori

megabearsfan

Prince
I've put up another civ-specific strategy guide on my blog. This one is for Kupe of the Maori. The full strategy guide can be found at:
http://www.megabearsfan.net/post/2019/06/06/Civilization-VI-strategy-Kupe-of-the-Maori.aspx

In summary, Kupe is one of the more unique leaders in the game, since he actually starts out with his starting Settler and Warrior embarked in the middle of the ocean. You have to sail around for a few turns before finding land on which to settle your capital (which will start with a free Builder and extra point of population). Since embarked Maori units have extra movement, you can actually explore for a few turns to try to find a nice spot for that first city. Ideally, you want fresh water, some sea resources, and a lot of natural features (forests, natural wonders, geothermal fissures, floodplains, etc.).

Kupe gets lots of bonuses towards terrain features. He gets an automatic +1 production on all unimproved woods and rainforest. The Marae unique building grants +1 culture and faith on all passable features. Combine these bonuses with governor Reyna and her Forestry Management promotion, and you'll have woods and rainforest tiles that generate +1 production, +2 gold, +1 faith, +1 culture, on top of any yield from an underlying resource like bananas, deer, dyes, etc. All without needing a single Builder!

All these bonuses on woods and rainforests might give you pause regarding chopping. You'll get hundreds of extra production over the course of the game, compared to the 50 or so from chopping. However, production now is usually better than production later, so don't be afraid to chop if you need to quickly get out a district, finish a wonder, or train some units for an imminent military conflict. This is especially true if you're running a policy that gives a production boost to the respective item. Worst case scenario, you can always re-plant woods after researching the Conservation civic and get those bonuses back late-game!

Being able to cross oceans from the start of the game gives you priority access to any isolated islands or landmasses. Be sure to try to settle in any worthwhile spots before the other civs develop the ability to cross ocean. You'll also need to protect your traders travelling between landmasses, so have a navy ready. Or just suzerain the Lisbon city state, which will make your Traders immune to plunder on water.

You can also send your military across the oceans earlier than any other civ, allowing you to potentially conquer civs on other continents. If you see a steam-rolling civ like Macedon, Aztecs, Mongolians, Nubia, or so forth running amok on another continent, you can actually send your army to fight them back or keep them in check to prevent them from overrunning their entire continent.

The linked guide also includes some tips for playing against Kupe (whether controlled by the A.I. or by a human opponent), so I invite you all to check out the full guide.

What do you think? Do you have any other tips, tricks, or strategies for playing as (or against) Kupe the Navigator of Maori? Did I miss anything good? As always, I welcome any feedback!

Thanks for reading, and happy Civ-ing! :)

Do you have any other tips, tricks,
Builders are useful for quarries and luxe’s early and 1 charge builders help explore.
There are huge golden age points Kupe can pick at will so it is about controlling them for the advantages you want.
Kupe also if he can get landed or find religious CS early often gets a pick of pantheon that can also be well chosen.
God of the sea is in fact quite strong for Kupe and for me personally the sea side of Kupe s cities are as important as the land.
Toas are very strong and their repair ability helps with pillage.

I had forgotten that military units with a build charge are able to repair. That could be useful, especially for repairing improvements damaged by disasters.

Didn't Firaxis patch the game so that you can't repair pillaged improvements in enemy territory? I don't think you could pillage an enemy improvement (such as a farm), then repair it and pillage it again, can you?

Top Bottom