A General Strategy for Lady Six Sky of Maya

megabearsfan

Prince
I've posted a new strategy guide to my blog. This one is for Lady Six Sky of the Maya:
http://www.megabearsfan.net/post/2020/09/13/Civilization-VI-strategy-Lady-Six-Sky-of-the-Maya.aspx
I apologize for this one being late. I was hoping to have it done it before the 2nd DLC had been released, but once Ethiopia released, I decided to do them first and come back to Maya.

Maya is intended to construct a tightly-packed core of cities that do not require fresh water to provide housing. Instead, farms provide bonus housing, and you'll get housing from granaries, aqueducts, neighborhoods, etc. Maya also gets free amenity for each luxury resource adjacent to the city center. This allows you to trade away early luxuries for extra gold, since you already get the amenity from the city being adjacent to it.

Once you've explored the area around your capital, I advise using the game's map pin feature to plan out the location of your cities and districts. There will be lots of overlap between the workable radius of cities, which makes careful planning more important. You can fit at most 12 cities within the 6-tile radius that grants bonus yield. In actual practice, however, you should assume you won't be able to build that many. Bodies of water, mountain ranges, foreign cities, and other features of the landscape will likely block optimal city placement.

Don't be afraid to settle or conquer cities beyond 6 tiles from the capital. The yield penalty is noticeable, but it's not a deal-breaker. You can offset the yield penalty with high amenities or by adopting certain policies. Even a penalized city can still be a productive or valuable part of your economy if it has good district adjacencies, access to luxury or strategic resources, or some other strategic value.

The linked guide goes into more detail, and also includes some tips on how to play against Lady Six Sky. As always, I'm eager to hear your strategies and get feedback. No matter how many of these I write, there's always tips, tricks, and strategies that I just don't think of. I also almost exclusively play single-player, so I'm always interested to hear multiplayer-specific strategies. Thanks for reading!

Top Bottom