A Guide to Ancient Conquest

Own

Grasshoppah
This article is for demigod and deity levels.

You’ve probably heard them (and probably me) say it. “Attack early, attack often, you can’t outexpand a demigod or above opponent, so you have to kill them off. “ That’s good advice, but how do you attack early? I’ll fill you in here. This is without a UU.

How many cities do I build?
Build a ring of cities, usually 8. Another city should be getting the iron. Build a granary in the capital first of course.

What improvements should be in those cities?
One improvement. Barracks. Every city should build worker (or warrior if the worker would be done before the city gets to size 2) then a barracks, then warriors for sword upgrades. Once iron is hooked, swords. Temples OFF LIMITS. The cost of a temple gives you 2 swords to easily kill the regular defender.

What techs to research?
Bronze working then Iron working. Since this is for no UU civ, you don’t need monarchy. GL can be captured if necessary.

Swords or horses?
Incase you couldn’t tell from previous context, swords.

How many swords?
A main stack of at least 10 as the main assault at the biggest cities. At all others, a stack of 5 each. If there is a small city who doesn’t share a road to the others and borders don’t touch the rest of the civs borders, a stack of 2 is all that’s necessary.

Great Leader?
Use elites as much as possible, attack wondering archers and warriors with elites if at all possible. If you get a leader (no guarantee) if playing C3C make an army of swords, if PTW Great wonder.

Attack until opponent is eliminated. Or if you are behind in techs and the GL is on another landmass, let them have one city and then take all their techs. Worth the continual flip risk. When you get to middle ages, upgrade to MDI and attack another opponent. A big stack of trebs will be necessary due to more city size settlements.

Nice, but if at sid, when you have 8 cities having barracks (when can you achieve this?), it's quite possible that all the other civs are in middle age, and they have much more units, and they have pikeman or ever musketman, and they can easily buy allies against you. So I bet that great lib is extremely helpful to war, because you can use tech to buy allies, and take advantage using you small military force when they are fighting each other.

Top Bottom