A Guide to City Improvements and Wonders

Great analysis guys! I'm still in the process of adding info and not sure how I'm going to structure any additional info but I'll keep updating.

LoneWolf5050, I've corrected some of the info about "religious buildings," thanks for pointing that out. I do have the minimum # of buildings required listed for those you mentioned though, as it was stated in the civilopedia. It only listed 2 temples to build a cathedral though.

Stuporstar said:
7. Religion:

Buddhist Stupa (Meditation)
Hindu Mandir (Polytheism)
Jewish Synagogue (Montheism)
Confucian Academy (Code of Laws)
Christian Cathedral (Theology)
Taoist Pagoda (Philosophy)
Islamic Mosque (Divine Right)
+50% culture
+2 happy if state religion is same as building
can turn 2 citizens into Priest
+1 happy from Incense
requires Temple (2 total)
300H (double production speed with copper)
This might have been an area which underwent some last minute adjustments for game balance. The printed manual notes 3 temples/cathedral (for each of the variants) and this was also noted within my present game. The manual (and in-game play) also notes different strategic resources to double production speed for some of these improvements.

Buddhist Stupa (Meditation) - copper
Hindu Mandir (Polytheism) - marble
Jewish Synagogue (Montheism) - stone
Confucian Academy (Code of Laws) - copper
Christian Cathedral (Theology) - stone
Taoist Pagoda (Philosophy) - copper
Islamic Mosque (Divine Right) - marble

These can be extremely effective culture builders so it is possible there was some adjustment on their availability for game balance.

Thanks for the master listing as there is a lot of information to contemplate and often some uncertain implications which require careful scrutiny by the community to evaluate clearly.

Thanks for the corrections guys, it's all been adjusted in the guide. Sometimes all these changes between the civilopedia, manual and actual game just drive me crazy. :crazyeye:

Btw, welcome to the forums Aminor!

A question on walls:

Walls are said to defend against anything but gunpowder-based units. Does this mean walls are only ignored by units in the Gunpowder family? Do walls protect against tanks, which are Armor and not Gunpowder?

Excellent work, Stuporstar, and the additions and corrections have been very helpful, as well.

I may have learned as much about the game reading this thread as I have in the previous 3 weeks of playing and reading the forums.

Thanks.

Stuporstar said:
Harbor
+50% trade route yeild
+1 health from Clam, Crab, Fish
tech required: Compass
80H

Pfeffersack said:
2. If the percentage is 50%, all your trade routes in the city increase their output by 50%.A trade route which had 4 has now 6.Not sure about if fractions are rounded up or down, though.

In my (limitid) observations I think it works as follows:

All your income from trade routes is added together, and You gain a 50% bonus to the total amount of trade income.

For example: You gain 14 GPT in a coastal city with 4 trade routes (1 normal, 1 currency, 2 from great lighthouse) like
4 moskau
4 berlin
3 london
3 paris

so you gain additional 7 GPT (50% of 14) from your harbor, wich shows
6 moskau
6 berlin
5 london
4 paris

the trade route to london gets You 2 extra GPT, but the route to paris only 1 GPT, if each trade route would get the bonus for their own, both would get only 1 extra GPT.

You only lose 1 GPT from rounding max!

With the +10 % Science rate, it might be worthwhile to classify the monastaries as science buildings also. I'm working on a thread about science production right now, and I've found that early in the game they can be valuable increasing science output while you're going through some growing pains with early expansion.

It would be good to clarify the production bonus Power gives (+50%). Many people confuse this with thinking that it increases the output of Factories to 50%, while in actuality it increases it by 50%, to a total of 75%.

Drydocks are a military building (Barracks for sea units).

A quick reference of the yield boosters:

Commerce:
+50% from trade - Harbor

Science:
+10% Monestaries
+25% Library
+25% University
+25% Observatory
+25% Laboratory
+50% Academy
+100% Oxford University

Culture:
+50% Cathedrals
+50% Broadcast Tower
+50% Broadway/Hollywood/Rock'n'Roll
+100% Hermatage

Gold:
+25% Market
+25% Grocier
+50% Bank
+100% Wall Street

Hammers:
+25% Forge
+25% Factory
+50% Power
+100% Ironworks (with Coal and Iron)
+100% Heroic Epic (Military only)

Has anyone tested if the Factories are cumulative? E.g., 25% base + Hydro = 75%, but if you then add Coal ... does that help (125%?) or not? Because it seems otherwise that having built Hydro in a city you'd never want Coal or Nuke...

And while I'm thinking of it, why can I build Hydros when I already own Three Gorges Dam? This seems... odd. Unless power stacks, in which case, sign me up for more free hammers! :)

InfoCynic said:
And while I'm thinking of it, why can I build Hydros when I already own Three Gorges Dam? This seems... odd. Unless power stacks, in which case, sign me up for more free hammers! :)

Because 3GD only provides power to one continent. You might still need power on another continent, or a contingency plan if the 3GD is captured.

Contrast this with Stonehenge, or the Eiffel Tower, which put buildings in all of your cities - once the building is there, you are good to go, and don't need to build another one.

Very handy list!!!

I believe the National Epic should be listed under category 8 (Great People), since the 100% Birth Rate is for Great People, not general population.

Thanks for all the work that went into this list.

wenz said:
In my (limitid) observations I think it works as follows:

All your income from trade routes is added together, and You gain a 50% bonus to the total amount of trade income.

For example: You gain 14 GPT in a coastal city with 4 trade routes (1 normal, 1 currency, 2 from great lighthouse) like
4 moskau
4 berlin
3 london
3 paris

so you gain additional 7 GPT (50% of 14) from your harbor, wich shows
6 moskau
6 berlin
5 london
4 paris

the trade route to london gets You 2 extra GPT, but the route to paris only 1 GPT, if each trade route would get the bonus for their own, both would get only 1 extra GPT.

You only lose 1 GPT from rounding max!

That's probably because the "real" value of those trade routes was
4.5 moskau
4.239 berlin
3.7843 london
3.329 paris

That gets rounded down for
4 moskau
4 berlin
3 london
3 paris

However you add the harbor and the "Real" values are
4.5*1.5=6.75 moskau
4.239*1.5=6.3585 berlin
3.7843*1.5=5.67645 london
3.329*1.5=4.9935 paris

Which rounds to
6 moskau
6 berlin
5 london
4 paris

Does the 10% science boost from monastaries continue after they've become obsolete with Scientific Method? I think they remain necessary to crank out missionaries...

Foobarista said:
Does the 10% science boost from monastaries continue after they've become obsolete with Scientific Method? I think they remain necessary to crank out missionaries...

Hmm, I think the science multiplier is what goes obsolete. The culture value stays, as does the functionality for creating missionaries. Let me see if I have a save game...

no luck, I clean up too well :p.

I don't remember whether or not you can still add monasteries to the production queue once they are obsolete either. That might also be part of "obsolete," like with units with newer/better variants introduced. I do know if you put them in the queue they will stay there and get produced when they are come to. been playing too many culture games...

I tend to be focused on radio and broadcasting and forget about the monasteries about the time they go obsolete, so not positively sure of the above.

I have no idea what I am doing. I don't know where this post is going. All I want is to find some info on stategy for Civ IV.

vonsch said:
Hmm, I think the science multiplier is what goes obsolete. The culture value stays, as does the functionality for creating missionaries. Let me see if I have a save game...

no luck, I clean up too well :p.

I don't remember whether or not you can still add monasteries to the production queue once they are obsolete either. That might also be part of "obsolete," like with units with newer/better variants introduced. I do know if you put them in the queue they will stay there and get produced when they are come to. been playing too many culture games...

I tend to be focused on radio and broadcasting and forget about the monasteries about the time they go obsolete, so not positively sure of the above.

Whenever something goe obsolete the ONLY thing that remains is culture

However, the monasteries do not produce missionaries, Missionaries require a monastary (or Organized Religion) to be produced, so you Can still produce missionaries after scientific method if you have monasteries that were build before it.

Top Bottom