A Iceland map for Civ 5!

This is my first attempt at mapping for Civ 5, and I decided to create a map of my own homeland: Iceland!

Here is a map of Iceland itself and then the map from the editor:

EDIT: Note that editor screenshot is outdated and that all of the plains in the middle have been replaced with tundra.

I know it isn't perfect, but I am not very good at copying real and complex geography into game editors so bear with me!

Still, I did put (as far as I know) all of the major mountains, as well as all of the rivers mostly correctly into the game. Also, the glaciers are there as well. :D

I haven't put any resources or starting positions into the map yet by the way. Also, speaking of which, how do I play the map after it is finished and upload it so that other can download it from the game's internal mod browser? :confused:

Features:

-A new playable map for 3-4 players.
-A fairly detailed and a accurate map of Iceland.
-Natural resources located on places that are sort of realistic and also adds some strategy and challenge into the map.

EDIT: Central plains replaced with tundra.
EDIT: Forests added.

EDIT: Here is a new in-game screenshot!

Map looks pretty good. Very accurate in terms of coastline and terrain types. However, I would suggest making the terrain more diverse and interesting, even at the risk of losing realism. An easy way to make the mod available would be to upload it to the database here on the site. If you are looking to upload it to the ingame browser, you can probably find a way how to do it here - http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=9682679#post9682679 . Good luck, this map seems like one that would be interesting to play.

Map looks pretty good. Very accurate in terms of coastline and terrain types. However, I would suggest making the terrain more diverse and interesting, even at the risk of losing realism. An easy way to make the mod available would be to upload it to the database here on the site. If you are looking to upload it to the ingame browser, you can probably find a way how to do it here - http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=9682679#post9682679 . Good luck, this map seems like one that would be interesting to play.

Yea, I will add some more things into the map to make it look more interesting. As of right now it looks way too plain. The problem is that Iceland doesn't really have many forests or things like that so it would not really be possible to add any of those if I wanted this to be 100% realistic. But then again, I have no intentions of going for super realism, so I will probably add those anyways as well as some other things for the sake of gameplay and also to make the actual map a little more interesting to look at.

As for uploading the map itself, I probably won't do that until it is good enough. I post more screenshots in the future.

On a side note, what will make the map fun in my opinion is that all of the (real world) mountains, glaciers and tundra means that there are a lot of very strategic choke points in the map. It should make the gameplay pretty interesting as well as the Civilization build itself since not every place on the map is suitable for settlement. ;)

Meh I would of just made the big glaciar a combination of Ice Terrain and Tundra, that way you could at least add some sort of strategic resource or even just something to move across, I mean kudos for accuracy and everything but ultimately it's a map to PLAY on not marvel at the geography of Iceland, lol.

Meh I would of just made the big glaciar a combination of Ice Terrain and Tundra, that way you could at least add some sort of strategic resource or even just something to move across, I mean kudos for accuracy and everything but ultimately it's a map to PLAY on not marvel at the geography of Iceland, lol.

It would have made even less sense to to what you describe. Have you ever seen images of Iceland's glaciers? Well being Icelandic I have actually been there in person, and its not possible to move armies on that thing. Never mind founding cities! And thus I had to use terrain that can not be traversed.

The only thing missing now would be either an Icelandic / Viking kind of civ, or even better a scenario where you have 3 to 4 tribes of vikings that just founded their first settlement on Iceland each and compete to dominate it.
The diplomatic victory would, of course, be to be elected Chief(?) at the Althing. ;)

The only thing missing now would be either an Icelandic / Viking kind of civ, or even better a scenario where you have 3 to 4 tribes of vikings that just founded their first settlement on Iceland each and compete to dominate it.
The diplomatic victory would, of course, be to be elected Chief(?) at the Althing. ;)

Sounds like a nice idea.

Anyways, I have just played through a game on the map to see how well it works and its fairly decent. I will probably upload the map soon ;)

Iceland was originally mostly covered with boreal forest (obviously not where a glacier is). The settlers cut down the trees and caused the thin soil to erode away. I remember reading this somewhere. So you may want to consider adding forest in the warm sections.

Hey nice map, I am in love with Iceland, would you be kind enough to share that map?

instead of a lake with ice perhaps the snow terrain type for the glacier, i've always thought it better represented land based ice sheets and glaciers, and you wouldn't get the weird kinda lakeish thing going on. Snow is as worthless as desert (worse in fact as it can't have oasis on it).

Hey nice map, I am in love with Iceland, would you be kind enough to share that map?

Sure! I am planning on uploading it soon, though I will have to wait until the end of the year first since I am away from home and only have my laptop.

Expect to see it during the first week of the next year! :D

Ok, I finally bothered to upload it.

I haven't uploaded it to the actual in-game mod browser thought.

Attachments

• Iceland.zip
    3.5 KB · Views: 328
Thinking of creating a scenerio based of of this. If I credit you, can I do it?

Sorry for not responding earlier.

Anyways....

Why not, I probably won't make any Mods using this map myself. :D

What kind of a scenario are you thinking of? :confused:

Perhaps creating a mod that recreates the Age of the Sturlungs would be good idea. In fact that would actually make a fairly good name for a Mod.

Top Bottom