A little help for a beginner please

Polonius

Warlord
OK, I lied – what I really need is a LOT of help please! 

I am brand new to Civ and still struggling to understand the complexities of this amazing game.

I am current playing the 8 civ tutorial (Chieftain) and have reached 1580 A.D. For the first section of the game I did well and stayed consistently a little ahead of the best of the visible pack (there are still 2 civs unrevealed, and my neighbours the Russians just wiped out the Zulu).

Somewhere around 700 AD things started to slide and it is now fairly clear that I am going to get wiped. The Babylonians and Russians have now pulled ahead of me in score (I’m the Persians).

The odd thing is that I have the top 3 cities plus the 5th one. I have built 7 Wonders to Babylon’s 1 and everybody else’s 0. And am set to win the race to the next one. I score around 130 culture points per turn, which looks good at this size of map, but also seems way short of what would be needed to ever amass the 100,000 for a Culture win. My 9 cities look well improved with roads, irrigation, mines, temples, libraries etc . Corruption is low, but unhappiness has suddenly started to surge. Babylon, who appears to have a better army than mine is now also expanding its culture graph and pushing mine backwards with every turn (which surprises me, as I expected to be still winning the culture race easily).

I have 90 citizens in my cities – which seems to be higher than everyone else. Yet I’ve clearly failed to recognise the need to do change my tactics (moderate army, good culture and improvements) some while back.

I stayed with the original government (and recently jumped straight to Democracy) and I also failed to locate any iron and build immortals until quite recently. Both of these may have been errors!? I am also penned in a peninsula and I can see that Babylon has a larger land area and slightly more cities (although their total population is smaller).

It looks as if I got too carried away with tactics that worked very nicely at the start but failed badly to recognise the need to change the emphasis as the game developed. Any clues please oh Maestros and Master Strategists?

Hi Polonius,

The best way to tell and learn when and why you started falling behind on the score is to look the the individual parts of the score (the dropdown list on the bottom left of score page).

Its a good way to learn becuase you can see that ok, at around 500ad i started dropping off in culture effecting my overall score..
or that late BC i needed to keep my military bigger.

One reason why the AI civs might be pulling ahead is that part of the score is calculated from landmass you control. If the AI civs are still expanding (as it sounds like with the war you describe) they will be gaining land and therefore score.

I would recommend changing goverments earlier. for more trade production and food.

Lack of iron until late sounds like a real problem, i think identifying where resources are early and making sure you have a supply of each is critical in the early game. Have you been trading/dealing with the AI civilizations?
Maybe you can start a war between your biggest rivals :)

Maybe mobilize for war and take some more land and space for cities for yourself.

You may still have a good chance to win, if you can get some mutual protection pacts, get a lead in the tech race and build a spaceship before the others.

cya
zedar

So what exactly is wrong in your current game?? it doesn't seem like much, just play more and understand your errors so you can fix them next time.

The reason why the Babylonians are gaining on your culture, is because they are a Religous civ and have probably started to build up their culture.

Are you going to make the space race or are you behind in techs?? In cheiftain, you need to be well ahead in techs in order to make the space race.

Make sure you have luxuries!!! Press f1 and change your culture percentage until their are no disorders in your cities... also, build temples, cathedrals and colosseums, as well as happy wonders to make your citizens happier.

Hi Belzedar and jc011

Thanks very much for the help. It's wonderful to discover a game forum where there are not only people who are not only prepared to read a post that is more than a few lines long, but who are also kind enough to take the time to post thoughtful answers.

More power to your Civs, and thanks again for some very handy advice.

:) :)

Top Bottom