A Pre-Order Question

Dactyl

Warlord
I have a relatively slow internet connection, so I have pre-ordered a physical copy of Civ BE from Gamestop, and I can pick it up on the day it's released. The question I have is, how do I get the bonus pack for pre-ordering? The physical copies obviously aren't going to contain the pack, since physical copies can be sold to anyone, whether or not they pre-ordered. Likewise, I don't see how I could download the bonus pack from Steam, since they have no way of knowing that I have pre-ordered from Gametop. So, does anyone know how I can be sure that I get the bonus pack?

You can register the non-Steam BE game purchase on Steam and get all the benefits of a Steam purchase, including bonus DLC and updates. The purchase date (before release) should trigger the free DLC bonus eligibility. Keep all your store receipts just to be safe, though.

You can register the non-Steam BE game purchase on Steam and get all the benefits of a Steam purchase, including bonus DLC and updates. The purchase date (before release) should trigger the free DLC bonus eligibility. Keep all your store receipts just to be safe, though.

If I buy a boxed BE from Amazon when I install it STEAM HAS NO IDEA WHEN IT WAS PURCHASED.

I can't call up Steam and say 'but my paper receipt says this'.

You do not get the pre-order bonus when buying a boxed version, just the digital download version.

If I buy a boxed BE from Amazon when I install it STEAM HAS NO IDEA WHEN IT WAS PURCHASED.

You do not get the pre-order bonus when buying a boxed version, just the digital download version.

Sorry, I had assumed (apparently incorrectly) that your purchase was pre ordered from Amazon and AFAIK that should include the DLC bonus. Now that I have actually looked at the Amazon page, it does indeed say that the pre-order DLC bonus is only for digital downloads, not the boxed PC version (which includes a poster, perhaps instead of the DLC?)

So yes, it looks like even early purchase of the boxed version is going to force one to buy the DLC later, unless the vendor provides for it in some way. One more reason not to pre order boxed games from Amazon, I suppose...read the fine print. :sad:

Usually a seperate code that unlocks the preorder bonus is included, given alongside or e-mailed to you after you get the game. This could take a few days. I had preordered Civ5 from Amazon and had to wait around a week for them to e-mail me the preorder bonus code. You'll definitly get one, if advertised so. I can't answer to how and when you'll get it though.

That's part of Sherlock's gripe, I now realize...the Amazon page for the BE boxed copy does not include any mention of the pre-order DLC pack as being included. A poster is included "while supplies last." That would gripe me too if I only noticed it later.

This has been a question asked a lot of international players. To my knowledge, physical copies will have an insert within the box that has a code for the Exoplanets map pack.

As for GameStop, I gotta imagine they'll likely print it on the receipt - it's how they handle that stuff. If you purchased a physical copy through Amazon, they'll likely email you a code separately at launch or beforehand.

If you look at the Amazon UK page for the physical copies there is a section that says: "Pre-order Civilization: Beyond Earth on PC at Amazon.co.uk before the release date of 24 October 2014 and you'll receive a code for access to the Exoplanets Map Pack. Your code will be included in your game box received when dispatched." The wording seems to quite explicitly refer to a physical copy. I hope this helps some people.

Retrieved October 8th from: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Civilization-Beyond-Earth-PC-DVD/dp/B00JQ04O5M/

In Toronto, EB Games (GameStop), Future Shop, and Best Buy, are all advertising the free bonus, if you pre-order by Oct 23. (Most cost $10 to hold, 39.99+tax = $46.49, due on release day)

As a Mac user, my gripe is that I cannot pre-order the Mac version to get the exo-planet maps for free, since the Mac version is coming "Soon" (TM), and cannot be pre-ordered on Steam yet. I hope Firaxis makes a similar offer pre-order bonus for the Mac version, whenever it comes out..... I'd hate to miss the opportunity just because of the platform difference.

As a Mac user, my gripe is that I cannot pre-order the Mac version to get the exo-planet maps for free, since the Mac version is coming "Soon" (TM), and cannot be pre-ordered on Steam yet. I hope Firaxis makes a similar offer pre-order bonus for the Mac version, whenever it comes out..... I'd hate to miss the opportunity just because of the platform difference.

First, I'd assume Aspyr would make it available.

Second, we have no reason not to believe that the PC version won't be "Steamworks", i.e. you'll own the Mac version the second its released, same as Civ IV and Civ V - so if you were so inclined you could prepurchase and be sure you have the maps. I'm doing this - but I'm also going into Bootcamp and playing in Win7 while waiting for Aspyr's work to be done. Since we don't have an ETA from Aspyr it could take a while.

Steam lets you preload games a few days before release. You probably could buy the digital version and just let it download for a few days. Although that won't work if you have something really bad like 56kbps.

Steam lets you preload games a few days before release. You probably could buy the digital version and just let it download for a few days. Although that won't work if you have something really bad like 56kbps.

I'm sure it'd *work* but it'd take weeks instead of days. :lol:

First, I'd assume Aspyr would make it available.

Second, we have no reason not to believe that the PC version won't be "Steamworks", i.e. you'll own the Mac version the second its released, same as Civ IV and Civ V - so if you were so inclined you could prepurchase and be sure you have the maps. I'm doing this - but I'm also going into Bootcamp and playing in Win7 while waiting for Aspyr's work to be done. Since we don't have an ETA from Aspyr it could take a while.

You give me some hope. My lingering fear is that main website for Civ has a dropdown menu that only lists the PC Platform--the MAC Platform option was originally grey-out and unselectable, and then a few weeks ago was removed altogether. I've never actually used Steam for downloading games simply because my sucky internet connection is 56K. It's impossible to download something of more than about 900 MB, or I time out before completing it, which is why I've traditionally ordered my games as physical CDs or DVDs whenever possible.

But maybe I should bite the bullet and do what all the cool kids do--use Steam.

I pre-ordered Beyond Earth on GMG in USD. Steam now uses CND for Canadian purchases. When I get the code for Beyond Earth, will it work on the new Steam?

I pre-ordered Beyond Earth on GMG in USD. Steam now uses CND for Canadian purchases. When I get the code for Beyond Earth, will it work on the new Steam?

Steam is Steam, the currency you buy it in shouldn't matter.

My lingering fear is that main website for Civ has a dropdown menu that only lists the PC Platform--the MAC Platform option was originally grey-out and unselectable, and then a few weeks ago was removed altogether.

You're worried it might be cancelled? It's still listing as "coming soon" on the Firaxis system requirements page, and as of last week Indie Mac Games was saying it's still planned for "Fall", which is any time up until about December 21. And there's this dev interview from 3 days ago confirming Mac & Linux and talk about how they've been playing on SteamOS (video queued to appropriate point): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OjWH2CPCk8&feature=youtu.be&t=58m16s

I've never actually used Steam for downloading games simply because my sucky internet connection is 56K. It's impossible to download something of more than about 900 MB, or I time out before completing it.

The Steam downloader is very smart.. it won't need to start over or anything if it times out; it knows what chunks it has and will resume from where it left off. Now, Civ V is about 7GB on disk for me; I can't imagine that BE will be smaller, so.. back of the envelope, optimal conditions, that's a bit over a 12 day download. Is there nothing you can do to improve your internet connection? Tethering to a 3G phone does better than that.

You're worried it might be cancelled? . . .

The Steam downloader is very smart.. it won't need to start over or nything if it times out; it knows what chunks it has and will resume from where it left off. Now, Civ V is about 7GB on disk for me; I can't imagine that BE will be smaller, so.. back of the envelope, optimal conditions, that's a bit over a 12 day download. Is there nothing you can do to improve your internet connection? Tethering to a 3G phone does better than that.

Not so much worried that it might be cancelled as worried that the option to grab the Mac version won't appear from Apsyr website until after the promotion ends. When Aspyr releases the Mac version of 2K games, Apsyr has often had what we might call "complicated" relationship with such promos.

Tethering to a phone download is a good idea though, as my wife does (unlike me) own a decent smartphone. I'm probably just worrying for nothing.

I have another question. My internet currently is not functioning well, and most probably it will not be fixed in a month at least. So I am worried about downloading the game from Steam, where I preordered. It might take very long time (or maybe not managed at all). The game is already in my library (just grayed out). Will it be automatically pre-load when the time for that is or I would have to start it once when it is available?
I did preordered BNW too, but as far as I remember I had to downloaded on the hour of realise, although I remember some got it downloaded earlier. Does location matter?
Anyone mind to explain how it will all work?

Top Bottom