A question about AI attacking protocol

FM_Freyland

Vote with your wallets!
Hi

We all know that the AI knows where all your troops are at all times. We all know that the AI bases part of its decision to attack you based on your strength relative to it's. Finally, we know the AI tends to gravitate towards less protected cities, which both makes sense and yet allows us to trap it if we are careful.

My question is this: Assume I have the same military might in both of the following scenarios, and no ROP. Is the Ai more likely to declare war on me if I have all of my troops on border cities and none in the large majority of my core cities (lots)? Can I make this less likely by having at least one troop in my core cities?

My reason for asking is this: In my present game, my only true rival is Babylon. I am bigger, have more points, more wonders, etc. However, my military advisor says my military is 'weak' compared to them. I couldnt believe that until I spotted two SOD numbering well above 50, and these were not its only attack force. I have a good relationship with them right now, but I know it will end in blood sooner or later, and I will lose. So, do I have to keep units in my core cities to make it 'later', or does that not make a difference?

Thanks

Jonathan

As for your question I dont think if you put one more troop in all your cities it would matter anyways because he knows he is stronger. Although if NO ONE is guarding those cities at all it sure gives him a incentive.

Cant you make a GPT deal with them to give you some time to get straight. Even if you have to just GIFT them gold per turn. But best would be to try and trade GPT for a RoP. Move a ton of cheap troops all over his resources and capital. This way if he breaks the deal you are all in his territory to keep his Sod's from wanting to go to your side. Cut all his resources/Luxurys/ and all roads around his capital in one move. You should have so many troops in and around his territory he may never get to invade you by the time you make peace. Then you will pass him up.

In my experince, the AI doesn't go after the core cities until after it's taken your border ones. I always leave any cities other than the ones on the frontier lightly defended, sometimes with only one unit, and I've never seen it go for anything further than two rows into my border.

FM_F, don't be a fool.
Your best long-term move would be to increase your military (and tech)!

In my experience, the AI will target your resource cities, the cities with culture conflict, the worker stacks, and the border/coastal cities with their sneak attacks, so cover those cases well. The normal, not-on-the-border, no-resource-within-native-21-tiles, core cities don't have to be defended.

For example, if you have a border city with Iron, then defend it well. If you are engaged in a culture war at a city and you're winning, then defend that city well. If you're sending a stack of 6 workers to mine a mountain on the border, then spend a unit to cover those workers.

but I know it will end in blood sooner or later, and I will lose.
You won't lose, not if you take advantage of all the tools at your disposal, such as alliances, cash-rushing, mobilization, etc.

Jaybe said:
FM_F, don't be a fool.
Your best long-term move would be to increase your military (and tech)!

Hey, now that's an idea! I probably should stop building just explorers, don't ya think? :rolleyes:

SJ Frank, I will pursue your recommendations about which cities the AI targets. It will probably be a week before I can comment, because each turn is taking forever to organize now, and Babylon is still my 'buddy' because we haven't wiped out Zulu yet. Will likely be another 7 turns before they can, but then two of their SOD will be deep into my 'frontier territory'. Should be interesting, if I can stay awake to get there!

Jonathan

Top Bottom