A Question on Variants.

Gnarfflinger

Wiseguy in Training
Have any of you played any Variants that were really interesting or fun?

If I get through Dancing with the Devil, I'll probably try to start a game of my own, and I wonder about maybe an alternative.

I am playing one in the Crowded Variant (11 nations) and really Enjoying it. It's on hold until we get a replacement Russia. The Game is called "Malthusian Nightmare" if those of you on Redscape want to check it out...

There are a couple other ones that I read about on the Internet that I'd like to try sometime.

For example:

Everyone Plays: Everyone is assigned their own nation. At the orders phase, you submit orders for all nations, and the orders used are selected at random (Since I have access to 8 sided dice, on an 8, the player who actually controls the nation gets their order through, so you have a 1 in 4 chance for your own and a 1 in 8 chance for other nations). The strategy there would be to get as many nations to support your agenda as you can...

Crystal ball: Basically, you submit your spring orders. You then submit fall orders before spring orders are revealed. Then you resolve the spring orders (complete with retreats). Then you post the next spring orders. Probably harder than hell to play. The site I looked at described regular diplomacy as a knife fight in a dark room. This variant is like that Knife fight in a dark room, with the floor coated in Cough syrop, conducted in Aramaic with ear plugs...

Anyone else have any ideas?

The crowded variant is fun, so that we could use. The 'Everyone Plays' sounds ok, and the crystal ball varients sounds nice, but it would be difficult.

I think that the Crystal Ball variant would be harder to play than to run. And I have Austria in the Crowded variant. Diplomatically, My luck has been the usual, but had I totally followed some advice read from Kitten of Chaos, I'd have a huge lead right now...

One you have not suggested (but works) is to make all 'neutral' SC's have armies on them. This makes the taking of those centers much more difficult.

Gnarfflinger said:
I think that the Crystal Ball variant would be harder to play than to run. And I have Austria in the Crowded variant. Diplomatically, My luck has been the usual, but had I totally followed some advice read from Kitten of Chaos, I'd have a huge lead right now...

Ooh, which game was that?

What advice did I give? I can't remember in the least :lol:

The advice you gave was during the one where I was Turkey and embarrassed myself horribly. Your counsel was to be ruthless. Had I done that, I'd have dealt with Russia and Turkey quicker and been ready to defend against Spanish and English knives...

The Crowded one is on Redscape, It recently finished with a four player draw--Miraculously, I had one centre left and got to share in the draw. The name there is Malthusian Nightmare.

Gnarfflinger said:
Your counsel was to be ruthless.

Indeed, most my problems come from not being ruthless enough. I'm just kind...

Which would surprise those who were tortured to death online last night by my Mongol Horse Archers bwahahahahah :yeah:

:king:

NB - whilst playing MP Civ IV, marvellous.

Since I'm just on Dial up, I only play via E-mail. So far the one has moved to a third turn, but the others I', still waiting on a second turn...

Yeah, I know. I wish I knew people that had played it to see if it's reallyu that complicated...

Top Bottom