Do you like this concept?

• I like it.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • I do not like it.

Votes: 45 68.2%
  • I don't care either way.

Votes: 6 9.1%

• Total voters
I have strong thoughts on the matter, and tackled it in my WWGD AI balance mod. I will split up my thoughts into sub-issues:

Wording: I really dislike mentions of "game" or "winning". If they were replaced by "Competing National Interests" then not only would it be much easier to swallow, it would actually make it a fun mechanic.

Victory Types should be different: I absolutely think Conquest and Science competing AIs should view others going the same route as rivals. HOWEVER, I think Culture and Diplomacy strategies should view those going similar routes as allies. As of right now, this separation is NOT possible through modding.

Those are some good ideas Sneaks, they could be implemented without changing the game too much, so they may be very possible, maybe one of the expansion packs will tackle it if they still are'nt possible through modding, sometime in the future.

I don't like the concept for three reasons.

1. It damages immersion. Yes, I know it's a game, but I'd rather not be reminded so blatantly when I'm trying to immerse myself in the epic unfolding of history.

2. I'm not convinced the AI is intelligent enough to predict how I intend to win the game, especially in the early game. Oddly enough I often don't have a set path to victory for much of the game myself, so if I'm not sure how I'm trying to win, how can the AI know?

3. It damages diplomatic relations, often unnecessarily (see reason 2) and contributes to the overall poor diplomacy model in this Civ iteration.

I still think this mechanic is generally fine... But one thing I will say is brutally, horribly wrong with this mechanic is how soon the AI can start 'detecting' that you're going after the same victory condition against them. Makes you wonder exactly what math is used to figure that out.

Just played a game as Gandhi, and ran into Ramses. In the 3700's BC, Ramses thought I was going culture and started hating me, denouncing me soon thereafter. To that point in the game, I believe I had built a Scout and started working on a Monument, which still wasn't finished. So either the equation was somehow totally misinterpreting things, or the AI was cheating and basing its decision on what I was building in my city, even though it's not supposed to have knowledge of that. Thumbs up.

Top Bottom