A viable solution to modular difficulties

steevo

Chieftain
Hello,
First I'd like to say, this being my first post (under this account, I had one with civfanatics years ago but lost the password and no longer use the email I signed up for it with), I would like to make a statement which, in light of evidence obtained by playing this mod, is possessed of an undeniable nature:
Afforess, you're freaking brilliant-a truly genius developer- seriously, A New Dawn is WAY more awesome than either vanilla civ or Rise of Mankind, although the latter is still cool. I really hope AND for Civ 5 will be developed, that game needs it and has so much potential.
I just wanted to state that for the record, I've been playing AND for months now and referring to this forum any time I needed help or wanted information.

...However, I just signed up with a new account because I feel I've stumbled upon a solution to a problem (two problems really although I'm not sure if the first has the solution posted somewhere) that's been troubling me and which I could find no more than a passing reference to the solution within these forums, one which was insufficient in detail to describe the way to enact it.

Here goes:
For a very long time playing AND I had no idea that additional modules existed which were disabled by default until recently when I was browsing the Sevopedia in-game to find some other info. Naturally, I was excited to discover these modules, but after following the instructions I came across the first problem:
There was no Unloaded Modules folder in my Assets directory. Soon, I discovered that a copy of the older mod, the second most recent version, had the unloaded modules folder so I copied the modules into the active Modules folder and for good measure re-copied them all within the unloaded folder into the Assets directory.

It was at this point that I came across the second problem:
None of the new modules took effect when I ran the game.
I tried running WoC just in case, but to no avail. After hours of trying to find a solution online I ran across a breif mention someone made of having to change an XML file, but not sure which one I didn't immediately follow up on the lead. However, I did notice that the process worked fine when I ran the older version with the modules active.
Then, I decided to look for the enigmatic XML file, starting with the two in the modules folder and located the answer within the MLF_CIV4ModularLoadingControls.xml file: the default active modules were named but none of the new ones were. I knew how to solve the problem since text-based files like these are something I routinely fiddle with using Notepad ++ when playing Paradox games like Europa Universalis or Hearts of Iron, and so I copied the code and inserted the names of the new mods, which went like this:

<Module>
<Directory>Custom Buildings</Directory>
<bLoad>1</bLoad>
</Module>
<Module>
<Directory>Static</Directory>
<bLoad>1</bLoad>
</Module>
<Module>
<Directory>Holy Wars</Directory>
<bLoad>1</bLoad>
</Module>

Bingo. Worked like a charm, although my pre-existing saved games were incompatible, though I don't mind.

I realize this may be more appropriate for the Bugs and Feedback thread, and many of you may already know how to implement this fix, but I feel its an important issue for which no solution is fully spelled out anywhere in the forum (at least not that I could find), so if this thread is deemed redundant on its, own then my bad, sorry for being responsible for cluttering. I'll also make a reference to this in the Bugs and Feedback thread.

Cheers,
-Steevo

Top Bottom