Abandoned Palace

Eridu

Chieftain
Hello,

what triggers that people don't improve you Palace anymore?

I thought it was because you build a Palace (the Improvement),
but I just played as Zulu without ever building a Palace (Improvement)
so that I could design the weirdest Palace I could (example, by leaving
the middle façade untouched). But still, at some point, the "People
wanting to improve your Palace" stopped coming back, and I couldn't
finish as I planned.

Lost to the Russians, but I was over-confident and sent too few
Units to combat my last enemy on their continent. I kept building
Improvements instead. By the time I was loosing on the foreign
land, I tried to send other Units but the Russians had come strong.
I retired in 2200 because it sounded like it would take a while to
prepare for a decent war.

Eridu

I said "I lost"... I guess it's pretty barbarian that concept that you "loose" Civilization unless you Conquer The World. ;-)

Eridu

I think a reason to improvements of palace is growing civilization :)
The most important seems to be the rising number of citizens. Perhaps also development of Advances - but i'm not sure of that.

1. Menu: GAME > OPTIONS > PALACE (checked or unchecked?)
2. Sciences (not sure about if and how this...)
3. Wonders (100%, build a Wonder and you'll get an improvement)
4. Growth of Population (not sure about this, but i guess...)

here's the manual:
Palace:
As your population grows, the people spontaneously expand and improve your palace to reflect the glory your leadership has achieved. When the total population of your civilization reaches certain milestones, you may increase the size or quality of your palace.
Clear the screen (press Return, the Spacebar, or either mouse button for the IBM) after the people offer to improve your palace. When a picture of the current palace appears, select whether you want an existing part improved or a new part added. Click on a button below a part of the palace to improve it or click on a button just off the edge of the palace to add to it.
From the available parts then displayed, select the one you wish to have built. Palaces can be built in three styles: classical, medieval, or Middle Eastern. A miniature rendition of your palace is shown in the palace window of the map display.

1. Menu: GAME > OPTIONS > PALACE (checked or unchecked?)
2. Sciences (not sure about if and how this...)
3. Wonders (100%, build a Wonder and you'll get an improvement)
4. Growth of Population (not sure about this, but i guess...)

yannow, ya play this game for 15 years and think ya know everyhting? Hah!!

Thanks for the tip, the interruption for the people to build my palace has annoyed me for ages. Had no idea I could turn it off, LOL

4. you get one for your first city going from 1>2 population, but that's it AFAIK
5. BTW, AFAIK, you'll also get a new addition for meeting and making peace with a new AI civ.
6. Build first new city, you'll get an addition

One fun trick I used to do was "hut hunt" with the original settler until I got a mercenary, then found an undefended size 2 (or 1-defended size 3) city to take over as my "first" city. This way you get no automatic palace of your own, and the corruption is a nightmare. Made the game very tough.

Sometime later, when I got tired of the corruption, I would build the palace improvement, and ALL the stored additions would come in at once. Kind of like a "presidents day sale" for the castle.

Top Bottom