1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Accurate Earth Map in development

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by kevinman4404, Jul 26, 2007.

1. mourndraken

mourndraken King

what a timely idea.
    what a ton of work.
    impressive effort
    and the dates look great

2. kevinman4404

kevinman4404 Lightning Warrior

@ Mourndraken- thanks for the feedback

Wow, am I ever tired.

Progress-wise I am just about done Europe. I do still have to shift the North arm of the carpathians south 1 tile, and I'll have to move everything in the area. As well I'd like to fix the river Volga.

South America is being put aside for the moment due to massive graphic problems. Perhaps it's those 3rd party graphic card drivers I'm trying.

I have finished the next resource, sunflowers:

These are currently at work in Italy, Moldova, Ukraine, and Russia just north of the Caucasus mountains. Will be present in South America and Asia too.

3. mourndraken

mourndraken King

canada crops these as well

4. RPG

RPG King

What other new resources are you planning to include?

5. frekk

frekk Scourge of St. Lawrence

True, and actually, sunflowers are native to North America. Pre-contact they did not exist in Eurasia.

6. kevinman4404

@mourndraken -> My source for resource placement isn't incredibly consistent. I'll have to do some research. (Anyways I haven't worked much on N.A. yet)

@RPG: I'm not totally sure, obviously some are stronger resources and some are more debatable ones. Plus I have a lot of stuff being worked on at once, I'll have the final list when I put up the thread for my mod- all the ones originally in the game, the ones added by res-mod and others, and the ones added by me.

Personally, I am currently adding:

Fodder (Sweden, Belarus, a bit in Russia, etc.)
    Peanuts
    Legumes (was originally going to be soybeans)
    Tea (unfortunately master lexx removed it from his mod?)
    Jute
    Dates
    Goats
    Coconuts
    Seal
    Poultry
    Sunflowers
    Roses (Bulgaria)
    Bison
    Camel
    N Ivory (the Northern variation of ivory, via walrus)

Here are the questions I am considering:

Can I combine potato and root crops?
    Can I combine Sugar Cane and Sugar Beats?
    Can I combine Jute, Hemp and Flax?
    Can I combine Soybeans and Legumes (which I was going to do anyways)?
    Should I add maple syrup?
    Should I add timber (eek, gameplay issues here)?

And finally, I plan on making it so resources only get their food or production bonus once the improvement is added. That would probably be the more realistic way. I want the city sizes and strengths not to be based around resources so much, so in a good spot you can grow without resources. Resources to me are there to indicate the capabilities and the richness of a civilization, among other things.

I'll provide a link once the thread is made and I'll have a photo with each resource.

Hope that provides some insight

7. mourndraken

mourndraken King

Statistics Canada studies crop dispersions in agriculture. Seperate studies on fruits and vegtables, seed crops, and ranching. I'm not sure if this data is available for other countries. Possible alternative sources on the net. I think that I can check this out for you. Some people used to call me a farmer ..

8. kevinman4404

Don't worry about getting the Canada version- I'll get that tommorow and print it off in case I need it. It would be used to know where to place the stuff (the question is if).

What I most need is a universal (worldscale) reference, because my resource map omits sunflowers in North and South America. So a continental reference wouldn't work there. I need to know if the N.A. sunflower sources are major enough to be included at the level of other sources (the ones I mentioned, ie in Ukraine).

If when I check the stuff tommorow it's very condensedly cultivated, I'll include it on the map anyways. But let me know if you find anything.

@ Frekk. Same for potato! And for some reason, my atlas doesn't have any potatoes or root crops shown in South America :( And I think there are lots of potatos there... anyways it's good that we're finding these inconsistencies... I'll do these with different sources.

~~~

Finished all of South America. May add a few more peaks on the left side of the Andes (the Incas have a lot of hills to do stuff on).

Moving on to Africa tommorow. Will work on a roses resource this weekend too.

9. mourndraken

mourndraken King

If you are considering timber I would suggest using cedar. It's a wood found in Lebonon and on the west coast of Canada and several other places in the world. It's light weight and very resiliant. Boats made from this material resist the effect of water better than other types. Prehaps if a civ has this resource then their boats found get Flanking I as a bonus, that reflects the survivability of these sorts of vessels. Nations that used cedar had a naval tradition.

10. mourndraken

mourndraken King

There are 2 main areas for friuts and vegetables in canada. that being southern ontario and the Okanagan Valley in BC

11. frekk

I would say no ... potatoes were a revolutionary food source compared to things like truffles and carrots.

My opinion: no. It's just not important enough. It's a condiment, and not really a crucial one. It didn't have a huge impact on either food supplies (like potatoes) or trade (like coffee, chocolate, spices). People have fought wars over salt, sugar, and coffee, which gives you an idea of their importance; but I don't think anyone's ever fought a war over maple syrup. It's kind of like blueberries. I guess it depends how many resources you intend to add.

I don't think you can really add timber ... but ... you could add rare woods (things like teak, mahogany, etc) and tall woods, the latter have been quite important at times (especially during the age of sail).

12. mourndraken

mourndraken King

that's a pretty good idea frekk. Don't make timber a prereqisite, rather, this resource makes a superior wooden vessel. Wacha think kevinman ?

13. mourndraken

mourndraken King

sugar cane is not the same a sugar beats. Sugar Beats are related to the potatoe.

14. kevinman4404

I think the rare wood or tall wood is a great idea. We'll have to see which wood(s) it'll be though.

Would I be able to put sugar beets under root crops? And how could I differ the artwork of the potato resource sufficiently?

~~

A random screenshot:

Where the Patagonia and Pampas meets. That is my representation of the patagonia desert. It's not completely barren (between dry land and desert) and has one or two sheep further south. A good display of terrain types (4: grass, fertile plains, arid plains, wasteland)

15. frekk

Wow, that looks really good!

I really like how the different terrains border one another.

The sad thing is, I won't be able to play this map for a year or two at least. Looking at the size of it, I'm afraid I'll need to do a major upgrade first.

16. kevinman4404

Hmm... what are your specs? I don't exactly have the greatest computer...

17. frekk

AMD Sempron 2600, 768 megs Ram, Radeon 9250 (256 megs ram I think). Ram's a bit low. Mind you, I run really clean, no garbage running in background, I can run the 192x120 earth OK ... as long as it's the base game, single unit graphics, etc. But 192x120 seems to be the biggest, anything bigger than that and it bogs right down to a crawl in the late game. 200x150 is almost one third bigger.

18. kevinman4404

Your video card is fine. I know you can run your game fine, but I'd have to say the minimum RAM would be 1 GB. In the making of this map, you have nooo idea how many graphics glitches I get when plopping hills/peaks and resources, some enough to block the whole screen. I used to get both MAF and memory crashes. Just now my progress was somewhat lost by a new error:

"Using the MemorySaver option in your configuration does not allow device loss. Exiting program."

I rarely have crashes right now, just a ton of graphical glitches which I can remove by saving, moving, varying on how bad it is. Worldbuilder IS harder to run than the normal game. There's also the game's size limit- the limit for my computer, or maybe for everyone, is 40000 tiles. If it's based on your computer's performance, the map won't load for you.

When I go in the map, look around, move my settler around, etc. the game runs fine. Same with turn times. But the true test will be having dozens of civs playing their role in history.

~~~

The civs list (no leaders yet) and the resources list (no stats yet) can be viewed at the mod's new dedicated thread. Feel free to debate any inclusions/exclusions in the civs list. Since this map has more civs and resources to balance the longer map and playing speed, as well as other tweaks, I decided long ago to release the map only in conjunction with the mod. But it will be available early on in the mod's life.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=6473712#post6473712

~~~

85% done elevations in Asia. Done everything in the middle east, central asia minus kazahkstan, and southern Asia (nothing of china).

I have 1 gig ram, a worse video card and a better processer, if not a recent one. On the plus side, you have a few months till the map is released with the first phase of my mod. A year and a half till the mod is fully ready.

19. snipperrabbit!!

snipperrabbit!! Deity

kevin : most of the time, legumes (vegetables) are grown close around the cities. IMO, it will be safe if you represent them with a building. And Soy can be an interesting resource to have if you feel the need.

20. kevinman4404

Alrite... I'm guessing you don't feel soy and legumes can be combined? I know soy beans are probably more important but aren't they very similar? Like aren't they both pod bushes? If not, how could I differ their appearance?

Also, guys, how could I differ the look of root crops?

Kevin