1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Adding Global Unit Limit

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Dune Wars' started by Sifaus, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Sifaus

Sifaus Adramelech

Hello.

I want to add global unit limit to the Dune Wars mod. I ask this, they directed me to this thread. But after that, i couldn't do anything with my non-existent python knowledge.

Can anybody help me with this? :)

Thanks.

2. Ahriman

Ahriman Tyrant

I can't be of much help on the technical side, but if your concern is one of performance (basically; having so many units that the game slows dramatically or crashes) then I'd mostly suggest playing smaller maps with fewer factions. A hardcoded cap might make the game play very strangely.

3. Sifaus

Sifaus Adramelech

My concern is stacks of doom. ^^ I love more less units and tactical combat. Yep, it might be strange against AI but i think about this for multiplayer games.

I see Master of Mana using this thing and it was awesome. But i don't know if they coded an AI for this.

4. Ahriman

Ahriman Tyrant

I dunno, for multiplayer it sounds like it would set up really nasty snowballing problems, where I kill a bunch of your units, which reduces the global number of units, then instantly purchase my own through Dune Wars' offworld purchase mechanism, and now you have a smaller army than me and can't build any more units with which to fight off my army.

5. Ahriman

Ahriman Tyrant

I'd have thought that stacks of doom are pretty much inevitable with the Civ4 engine.

6. amorph

amorph Chieftain

Solution (based on 1.9.7):
    1) Edit "Beyond the Sword\Mods\Dune Wars\Assets\Python\DuneWars.py"
    find function cannotTrain (looks as below):
    def cannotTrain(self, pCity, iUnitType):
    self.Initialize()
    if iUnitType == self.iUSpwork:
    pPlay = gc.getPlayer(pCity.getOwner())
    if pPlay.getCivics(self.iCArrak) != self.iCSpind:
    return true

and edit the function body to:
    def cannotTrain(self, pCity, iUnitType):
    self.Initialize()
    if iUnitType == self.iUSpwork:
    pPlay = gc.getPlayer(pCity.getOwner())
    if pPlay.getCivics(self.iCArrak) != self.iCSpind:
    return true

pPlayer = gc.getPlayer(pCity.getOwner())
    iUnitPerCity = 2
    iUnitPerPopulation = 0.25
    iNumMilitaryUnits = pPlayer.getNumMilitaryUnits()
    iPopulationUnitLimit = pPlayer.getNumCities() * iUnitPerCity + int(pPlayer.getTotalPopulation() * iUnitPerPopulation)
    return iNumMilitaryUnits >= iPopulationUnitLimit

2) if you wish to see total units out of total allowed, edit
    "Beyond the Sword\Mods\Dune Wars\Assets\Python\Screens\CvMainInterface.py"
    I've just added it to the clock. Find "def updateTimeText( self ):"
    In the function definition find the g_szTimeText = ""
    Just add these lines right after it:
    bShowGameTurn = false
    pPlayer = gc.getActivePlayer()
    iUnitPerCity = 2
    iUnitPerPopulation = 0.25
    iNumMilitaryUnits = pPlayer.getNumMilitaryUnits()
    iPopulationUnitLimit = pPlayer.getNumCities() * iUnitPerCity + int(pPlayer.getTotalPopulation() * iUnitPerPopulation)
    g_szTimeText += u"(%d" %( pPlayer.getNumMilitaryUnits() )
    g_szTimeText += u"/%d) " %( iPopulationUnitLimit )

Note: limit in the case above is "Number of Cities" * 2 + TotalPopulation*0.25. I was considering early game when population is very low (so just number of cities *2) + late game, when population is 100+. Feel free to play with values as see fit.

Note: you may want to disable something in the updateTimeText, or it won't fit.
    mind the "tabs" in the edited file - the indents are important in python :) For some reason tabs in my post got cleared.

Note: I've been looking for something akin max unit per tile or global unit limit option for dune wars for some time. In the end decided to just see if i can edit it in myself (won't lie, got hints from other posts). Awesome mod, that I haven't played for a few years, but decided to play it again. Got used to 1 UPT in CivV, and, to tell the truth, I always hated stacks of doom in Civ4, but so much more after playing CivV.