Adding Mods to Current Saved Game

LFRANK

Semper Fidelis!
So I started a new game and was nearly 100 turns into it when I suddenly realized that one of the MODs I typically use (Better Trade Screen in this example) wasn't available in the game. Not sure why as I tend to use the same set of mods for all my games, adjusting when necessary, but it was missing and I wanted to access it's convenient features.

So I'm wondering if its possible to add the mod somehow mid-game? I suspect the answer is no, but I've been known to be wrong before.

Thx for all comments and suggestions.

Can't add a mod to an existing game. Not without playing around with the save file, but I dont think anyone has figured out (or tried to figure out) how it's encoded. You do have a few options however, provided it makes sense to add this mod to an ongoing game (ie, completely revamping the tech tree halfway though a game is clearly impossible):
1) Combine the mod you want to add to a mod already attached to that save. This requires merging the folders of the two games together, and merging the .modinfo. This is easier to do than it sounds.
2) Overwrite the base game files with the mod you want to run. As well as bad practice, this will be time consuming for mods that use sql. For better trade info however, I'm guessing that this should work fine.

I recommend 1 however.

1) Combine the mod you want to add to a mod already attached to that save. This requires merging the folders of the two games together, and merging the .modinfo. This is easier to do than it sounds.
That's a great idea. I've made one big .modinfo file for all of my mods now, let's see how that works out.

I love the idea of a universal personal mod. Combine all my favs into one big mod collection and Bob's your uncle.

Thx for the great idea.

That's a great idea. I've made one big .modinfo file for all of my mods now, let's see how that works out.

Could you explain how to do this a bit? I've tried merging two simple mods by taking the <components> and <localized texts> sections from one .modinfo and adding it to another .modinfo

I also merged the Rules.sql

No effect =/

More than likely you need to modify the .modinfo file to ensure it includes all the file names used by your combined mods. There's some great discussions in the Mods forum (civ6 modinfo scheme) on required format and editing that should help.

1. Go to the mod in your mod folder (steam/steamapps/workshop/content/xxxx/xxxx/ for workshop content).

2. Open the modinfo file with any text editor.

3. Add this line to the mod properties and save the file: <AffectsSavedGames>0</AffectsSavedGames>

4. Start game and load save.

DISCLAIMER: Keep in mind that there are usually bugs when you continue a saved game with a new mod. For example, if you do this for the Production Queue mod, you cannot change production/buy units in a city that is currently producing something until it finishes production. After it finishes the production selected before you applied the mod, you can use the Production Queue and change production as normal.

.modinfo file for the Production Queue mod should look like this (minus my annotations):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Mod id="2027E5A2-A48D-E606-031F-141E1196975A" version="0.1.9">

<Properties> <------ Find the properties section

<Name>Production Queue</Name>
<Description>Adds production queues to cities.</Description>
<Teaser>Add production queues to cities.</Teaser>
<Authors>Lozenged</Authors>

<AffectsSavedGames>0</AffectsSavedGames> <----- Added line here!

</Properties>

** other stuff **

</Mod>

Last edited:
Top Bottom