Adding more Yields? [IMPLEMENTED]

Would you like to have these additional Yields?

• Total voters
Vanilla is a plant that is difficult to harvest. Attempts to grow it in Europe failed as the insect that pollinated the american plant originating in Yucatan did not exist in Europe. And only 1841 on Reunion the manual method to handpollinate the plant was developed that allowed the farmers to "help" the insects to make sure that all flowers were pollinated and increased the yield.

Would it be possible to start with a low yield and only in later ages/eras/tech levels raise it when the manual method is developed after it had been brought to Europe and failed to be pollinated there?

Attempts to grow it in Europe failed ...

Why grow it in Europe? :confused:
It is a plant native to Southern America and was discovered by the first conquistadors.

Vanilla is supposed to become a rare and highly expensive "Luxury Yield" almost like Silver.
I will introduce a few of these "super expensive" plant yields - as that is a bit different as those "super expensive" mineral yields.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/bittersweet-story-vanilla-180962757/

"The Spanish conquest of the Aztecs in 1519 brought the fragrant flower—and its companion, cacao—to Europe. Vanilla was cultivated in botanical gardens in France and England, but never offered up its glorious seeds. Growers couldn’t understand why until centuries later when, in 1836, Belgian horticulturist Charles Morren reported that vanilla’s natural pollinator was the Melipona bee, an insect that didn’t live in Europe. (A recent study, however, suggests that Euglossine bees may actually be the orchid’s primary pollinator.)

Five years later, on the island of Réunion, a 39-mile long volcanic hotspot in the Indian Ocean, everything changed. In 1841, an enslaved boy on the island named Edmond Albius developed the painstaking yet effective hand-pollination method for vanilla that is still in use today, which involves exposing and mating the flower’s male and female parts. His technique spread from Réunion to Madagascar and other neighboring islands, and eventually worked its way back to Mexico as a way to augment the vanilla harvest pollinated by bees."

So in short: The plant originated in Yucatan with the Toltecs, when the Aztecs conquered the Toltecs they started to use vanilla in their chocolatl and when the spanish conquered the Aztecs they first brought vanilla to Europe, but for more than a decade just as one ingredient to chocholatl. The harvest was always small because the natural pollination is a lottery - the plants flowers opens only a very limited time and if that time passes without the right insect passing by at the right time it closes and falls off without being pollinated - no harvest. There still woulde be *some* harvest as the insects sometimes get lucky and get the flower before closing but only after the manual method was developed it ensured that *most* flowers were pollinated and raised harvests significantly.

Last edited:
I think it's about time that we consider a general mechanism to allow us to support (in principle!) an arbitrary amount of yields. It all boils down to how to display the yields in the city view without excessive clutter.

Here's a proposal: Let's have a fixed top row that consists of the "important" yields like food, lumber, tools etc. This row will always be visible.

Then we need to find a way to dynamically show the rest of the yields, should they be present

We could consider:

a) Replacing the existing yield view with a panel with a scrollbar (which I think is feasible)
b) Generate another row (or two..n) if those yields are present. Note that the position of yields would not be fixed. However, they would be arranged by their index in YieldTypes so it should be systematic enough
c) Implement a way to toggle\swap which yields are displayed in the second row.
d) Like c) but with a filter button that selects a subset of yields ("raw" cash yields, manufactures cash yields, etc) Only two rows would ever be visible at any given time.

If we come up with a decent system it should be trivial to add new yields without worrying about layout issues and this could hopefully make it far easier to make crazy mod-mods!

Last edited:
in my humble opinion, option A (Replacing the existing yield view with a panel with a scrollbar (which I think is feasible)) is the most preferable. when implementing it, you do not need to spend a lot of time on tuning and so on - just scrolling.
the question is whether to scroll horizontally or vertically. I think vertical will be better since you can use the mouse wheel anywhere in the yield bar.

If we come up with a decent system it should be trivial to add new yields without worrying about layout issues and this could hopefully make it far easier to make crazy mod-mods!
I would like to add that I created the branch "YieldCategory", which removes a lot of the yield hardcoding and it even allows adding yields in pure xml (excluding yields with custom coding, such as crosses). I think it should be merged before anybody adds more yields.

I haven't quite worked out what to do with the yield bar, but I once stated that I want it to be in a unique python file rather than being part of the main interface. That will help with clean code, which in turn helps if we want to add code to control what goes where in any way other than following yield indexes. Placement only matters while setting up the widgets as everything done after that will rely on widget ID and/or iData1 and iData2.

One approach could be to have a yield tag in CvYieldInfo, which tells the name of the yield on top of the yield in question. That way we can place finished goods under the raw material and once we have done that, the rest of the slots can be filled out. That will ensure a decent layout even if some yields are hidden, either by display settings or locked by CivEffects.

One thing I would like to add is that the yield bar can be made to consider screen resolution. We can make it display differently on stuff like 4:3, 16:9 or ultra wide.

This is a brief list of "other stuff" that is related to how yields are processed and needs to be cleaned up:

- The special cases for food, lumber etc in the code that ensures that these cannot "spoil" / does not take up storage. These checks are scattered throughout the code, including the Main interface
- "Breedable" yields (horses, sheep, cattle) that requires an initial stock
- Future yields that would be unlocked by tech/advances

Having some form of XML support for indicating these special attributes would be nice!

One more thing though, I am opposed to the proliferation of yield rows. I think that we should think very careful about adding a third row since it really doesn't solve any problems IMO.
At some point the entire city screen may be covered by those darn yield boxes LOL.

- The special cases for food, lumber etc in the code that ensures that these cannot "spoil" / does not take up storage. These checks are scattered throughout the code, including the Main interface
- "Breedable" yields (horses, sheep, cattle) that requires an initial stock
I added bools in xml for that in YieldCategory. I think I called Breedable for "bLivestock", but I would have to look it up to be sure.

- Future yields that would be unlocked by tech/advances
There is an InfoArray for that in CivEffects. If I recall correctly, it's not fully implemented in the DLL since at the time there was no gameplay need for it and it ended up with a lower priority. At some point I considered adding one for "can produce" as Colonization 2071 has the concept of unlocking yields in two steps. First is the ability to trade and store and the second is to also produce it. Just like the tag for unlocking unit classes on the dock, it requires both allowed and production to be true to produce the yield in question. This means unlocking a yield will also unlock production unless a CivEffect explicitly unlocks production. This means added flexibility in xml without making xml more complex to set up unless this feature is explicitly required.

EDIT: I have also considered the option of caches of caches. For instance a build would require unlocking the build in question and the improvement. We can make such logical implicits be used all over without a performance hit if it's cached in the CvPlayer part of CivEffects.

Having some form of XML support for indicating these special attributes would be nice!
100% agree in general. :thumbsup:
But who is doing it and when.

I am busy as hell with all the stuff I want to implement.
And at the moment I can only work with that I have. :dunno:

----

I will simply not wait for 1 more year until I start adding more Yields. :dunno:
And when I start adding more Yields I will simply use the technical possibilities I have.

Afterwards if somebody would improve it, that would be awesome of course. :thumbsup:
But to be honest I will focus on gameplay first when I start implementing this and not nice adaptability for the future.

----

Summary:

I am also quite busy and I am currently working on all of this alone.
My solution may not be perfect but it will work for gameplay - at least for the modmod I create.

Please lower your expectations a bit.
A single private modder can not do all of that in perfection.

----

Once my solution is implemented it can be improved in any way. :)
And I am happy for all improvements somebody may do. :thumbsup:

----

If one of you guys will implement these nice improvements for Yields before I start adding new Yields, I will of course happily use them. :thumbsup:
(But my focus is and will stay to implement the gameplay I want. Once that is done I might invest effort in other stuff.)

Last edited:
Then we need to find a way to dynamically show the rest of the yields, should they be present
As already proposed earlier to @raystuttgart, we should consider adding the demands of the domestic market as actual demand of the colony to be shown as usual below the yield icons themselves. Thus having the yield rows filled dynamically would save us some needless clicking and give us a better overview of transport needs.

b) Generate another row (or two..n) if those yields are present. Note that the position of yields would not be fixed. However, they would be arranged by their index in YieldTypes so it should be systematic enough

Probably I have the lowest expectation.

A simple button to click on -> at the left and right the end of the present yields.
Which leads to another two rows for all the new yields.
So all stays the same, and even double of the present ammount have space.

No scrolling so laptop friendly no mouse scroll needs.
Nice separation between the traditonal and new yields.
Can keep the layout where raw and finished goods are paired in the rows.
Minimal extra space used in UI (opposed with 3 rows) while adds more space.
Nothing forces to add certain number of new yields (for graphical/ resolution reasons)
Some semi-opaque graphic can fill the parts where no new yields presented yet.

What you guys mean by "filled dynamically"?
Because if it changes the layout based on actual production vs. the present raw - finished pairs then I like more the present one.

@devolution

I "only" want to add Yields (and Professions) for these reasons.

1. Balance: I have lots of new Terrains / Terrain Features that I want to balance and still make distinct.
2. Balance: There are Buildings / Experts (e.g. for Furniture) that need to be improved considering gameplay value.
3. Balance: I feel that this game needs more challenge. Some Yields may help me to do that. (see below Ammunition / Ship Lumber)
4. Immersion: I e.g. added Birds but I want Birds to be hunted just like Fur Animals. (So they will give "Feathers" + "Food")
5. Immersion: I will add new Plants that realistically fit into new World (e.g. Logwood, ...) but they simply do not match exisiting Yields.
6. Immersion: Sometimes I feel that Yields should be depicted historically correct (e.g. Rice, which was both "food crop" and "cash crop")
7. Game Mechanics: For game concept "Health Overhaul Concept" I simply also use Fruits and I need to make them a bit different.
8. Game Mechanics: For game concept like "Military Overhaul" I simply want to add "Coal", "Salpeter", "Ammunition", ...
9. Game Mechanics: For game concept like "Construction Overhaul" I simply want to add "Ship Lumber", "Tar", "Clay", ...
10. I also experiment: e.g. with "Vanilla" (as valuable as "Silver" but simply a very rare plant instead of a rare mineral)

----

And I will do most of that without adding new Buildings or Experts - because my goal is not to do so.
(I mostly only need new Yields and new Professions and make better usage of existing Buildings and Experts.)

----

See, we could be discussing here to death and would never find a consense.
Mostly because people simply do not even know how my final vision looks like or do not want to wait for it.

I often plan and create content 3 Releases ahead.
So at the point of time when the first part is finished it may seem pointless and stupid.

But I am simply not modding "short sighted" for the next month or next release.
I am modding by a "big master plan" - which I call my "vision".

----

I will not discuss which Yields I will add or not anymore, because it really wastes my time.
I will simply create it, show you guys what I did and offer it for integration into WTP.

It may not be perfect in the first version considering graphics, texts, screens, ... if I do it all alone.
But at least I can create and show something that might or might not convince the team and community.

If WTP and community like what I did that is great and I will love to see it published.
If WTP and community do not like, well I will still like it myself and simply play with it in my private WTP modmod.

----

Summary:

I am really fed up discussing what I may mod or may not mod.
I do have "my vision". (And I will follow it even if have to do so alone.)

In the end there is no "failure" or "success" in modding.
There is only "fun" or "frustration" - and I clearly chose fun.

Last edited:
ok, ray. Calm down :).
Ok sorry. :hug:

Spoiler :
I really react allergic when this specific concept is generally questioned.
I even left WTP core mod team so I may be able to implement this without arguing all the time.

I have invested months of effort already in it and it is extremely closely tied in other concepts.
Many of my improvements for Terrain, Health, Construction, Happiness, Military, ... depend on the assumption that this here will be implemented.

I shall patiently await the result :crazyeye:
Thanks. :thumbsup:

I would at least like to get a chance to show team and community a "prototype".
Then my work shall be judged if it is interesting / good enough to become part of WTP core mod.

----

Otherwise

Spoiler :
I am currently having a blast working on it.
But it is not yet set in stone.

Details still change daily whenever I add another piece to the puzzle or have a new idea.
The concepts and prototypes of the concepts above also still heavily change almost every day.

Last edited:
@Schmiddie

Quite some time ago you created these Building graphics for "Roasteries" here:
(I still have them in my archive.)

I am currently considering to make use of them for my "new Yields". :think:
(I know I originally said that I do not want to add new Buildings / Indoor Experts but it would be a pitty to waste those great graphics.)

But before I do integrate (in my "prototype build") I would like to discuss with you if you already have other plans to use them.
I want to avoid causing a conflict for your own work.

Attachments

• roesterei_1.jpg
    roesterei_1.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 233
  • roesterei_2.jpg
    roesterei_2.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 231
  • roesterei_3.jpg
    roesterei_3.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 224
So ok guys, I will introduce and discuss my concept about new Yields.
I am open for questions, improvements and suggestions considering specific details.

Please read:
Spoiler :
I will only discuss in a "constructive way" - meaning that we try to make it better and not to prevent it.
I will not answer to things that generally or outright question the whole concept.

There is no voting on this considering if I implement it or not for my private version. I will definitely implement it one way or another.
Later once it is done the active modders contributing to WTP core mod may decide if it should be integrated or not.

This concept is not yet set in stone. A lot of things may and will still change. In fact I have been changing / improving this concepts several times already.
The dependencies considering the other "work in progress concepts" like "Terrain Overhaul", "Health Overhaul", "Construction Overhaul", "Military Overhaul", ... require this to stay flexible.

So ok, as a first trial I will start with this.
Let us see how team and communtiy react.

A) Stuff with Feathers: 4 new Yields (Feathers, Pillows, Padded Leather Coats, Padded Furniture)
(Changes are unlikely or will be minimal.)
Spoiler :

1) Bird Hunting (giving Feathers)

In Terrain Overhaul I have already introduced lots of Bonus Ressources for Birds that are supposed to give Feathers.
Also Terrain Overhaul will introduce Terrain Features for that give Feathers instead of Fur. (e.g. Bushes)
  • Currently Fur Animals / Forrests give Fur + Food.
  • These Birds / Bushes will also give Feathers + Food.
  • (new) Professions: Bird Hunter (Land) / Sea Bird Hunter (Water)
  • (old) Experts: Expert Seal Hunter (both Land and Water) --> To be renamed to "Expert Seal and Bird Hunter".
  • (old) Improvement on Land: Trapper Hut / Trapper Camp for both Fur and Feathers
  • (old in Plains) Improvement on Water: Hunters Stage for both Fur and Feathers
Result:
  • 1 new Yield: Feathers
  • lots of new Bonus Ressources (all already integrated in "Plains")
  • 2 new Profession: Bird Hunter, Sea Bird Hunter
  • no new Building, no new Expert, no new Improvements
--------------------------------------

2) Manufacturing Feathers (+Hides) to Pillows

So now that we have Feathers we should also do something with it:
We will turn the Feathers into Pillows.
  • 1 new Yield: Pillows
  • 1 new Profession: Pillow Maker
  • 1 new Expert: Master Padder
  • 1 new Special Building: Padder's House (+ Upgrades)

3) Manufacturing Feathers (+ Leather) to Padded Leather Coats

But hey, let us do more with those Feathers and combine them with Leather for Padded Leather Coats.
  • 1 new Yield: Padded Leather Coats
  • 1 new Profession: Leather Padder
  • 1 new Expert: Master Padder (see above, so no extra)
  • 1 new Special Building: Padder's House (+ Upgrades) (see above, so no extra)

4) Manufacturing Pillows (+ Furniture) to Padded Furniture

Why not also combine those Pillows we just produced with Furniture to produce a more interesting Yield Padded Furniture ?
  • 1 new Yield: Padded Furniture
  • 1 new Profession: Furntiture Padder
  • (old) Expert: Cabinet Maker
  • (old) Special Building: Cabinet Maker's House (+ Upgrades)

Total Summary "Crazy Stuff with Feathers":

New Yields:

• Feathers --> Base Yield (from Plot)
  • Pillows (Feathers + Hides) --> Combined Yield (of 2 Base Yields)
  • Padded Leather Coats (Feathers + Leather) --> Combined Yield (of 1 Base Yield and 1 Produced Yield)
  • Padded Furniture (Pillows + Furniture) --> Double Combined Yield (of 2 Produced Yields)
Otherwise:
  • 5 new Professions
  • Many new Bonus Ressources
  • No new Improvement.
  • 1 new Expert: Master Padder
  • 1 new Special Building: Padder's House (+ Upgrades)
Balancing Effects:
  • We have a complete and diverse production chain involving Feathers.
  • Expert Seal Hunters got more valuable (and they really needed to)
  • Master Cabinet Maker got more valuable (and they really needed to)

B) Breeding Pigs: 3 new Yields (Pigs, Cheap Skin, Cheap Leather)
Spoiler :

1) Pig Breeding (using Livestock Breeding Feature)

On Flatlands of Wetlands and Marsh you are not able to breed Horses and Cattle. (since RaR)
Instead you can now however breed Pigs there, which can not be bred anywhere else.

See currently:
(which I want to change)
Spoiler :

• 1 new Yield: Pig (Plot Yield, using Livestock Breeding.)
  • (old) Bonus Ressource: Pig (I already integrated in "Plains")
  • 1 new Profession: Pig Breeder
  • (old) Expert: Master Rancher
  • 1 new Improvement: Pen
2) Butchering Pigs for Cheap Skins (+Food)

Similar to butchering Cattle for Hides (+Food), you now also butcher Pigs for Cheap Skins (+Food).
(Butcher's House can thus butcher Cattle, Sheep and Pigs)
  • 1 new Yield: Cheap Skins
  • 1 new Profession: Pig Butcher
  • (old) Expert: Master Butcher
  • (old) Special Building: Butcher's House + Upgrades
3) Producing Cheap Leather (from Cheap Skins)

Similar to producing Leather from Hides, you now also produce Cheap Leather from Cheap Skins.
(Tanner and Tanner's House thus become "Multiple Yields Per Building.)
  • 1 new Yield: Cheap Skin
  • 1 new Profession: Pig Tanner (old Profession renamed as "Cattle Tanner")
  • (old) Expert: Master Tanner
  • (old) Special Building: Tanner's House + Upgrades

Total Summary "Breeding Pigs":

New Yields:

• Pigs --> Livestock Breeding
  • Cheap Skins --> Produced Yield (Level 1)
  • Cheap Leather --> Produced Yield (Level 2)
Otherwise:
  • 3 few new Professions
  • 1 Bonus Ressource
  • no new Improvement
  • no new Expert
  • no new Building
Balancing Effects:
  • We have added Livestock Breeding for Pigs + according Production Chain
  • We have increased value of Wetlands and Marsh
  • Master Rancher got one more Profession (and even more valuable - but that is ok)
  • Master Butcher got one more Profession (and even more valuable - but that is ok)
  • Master Tanner got more valuable (just as "Master Fur Trader")

C) Fruits and Hooch: 2 new Yields (Fruits, Hooch)
Spoiler :

1) Fruit Farming (giving Fruits)

In Terrain Overhaul I have already introduced lots of Bonus Ressources for Fruits that are supposed to give well you guess it Fruits.

And the Bonus Ressources are the only source for the Yield.
(No Terrain, no Terrain Features gives it by itself.)

The Improvement that is used is also Farm.
(So it generally works like Food so far.)
  • 1 new Yield: Fruit
  • lots of Bonus Ressources (already integrated in "Plains")
  • 1 new Profession: Fruit Farmer
  • (old) Expert: Expert Farmer
  • 1 new Improvement: Orchard
So what is so special about it then?
Well, read the next paragraphs.

2) Selling Fruits on the Market (giving Food and Health)

So ok, we got Fruits now but how do we use them.
First possibility is this here e.g. if we are short on Food or short on Health:
We sell it on the Market: Fruit ---> Food + Health
  • no new Yield
  • 1 new Profession: Fruit Merchant
  • 1 Expert: Master Merchant
  • (old) Special Building: Market (currently not having any Profession Slots)
3) Manufacturing Hooch from Fruits

Well and what if you have enough Food and Health and rather produce some Cash Yield?
Ok, why not. In that case we produce Hooch in the Distillery.
  • 1 new Yield: Hooch (from Fruit)
  • 1 new Profession: Hooch Distiller
  • (old) Expert: Master Distiller
  • (old) Special Building: Distiller's House + Upgrades

Total Summary "Fruits and Hooch":

New Yields:

• Fruits --> Base Yield (from Plot)
  • Hooch --> Produced Yield
Otherwise:
  • 3 new Professions
  • 1 new Expert (Master Merchant)
  • lots of new Bonus Ressources for Fruits (already integrated in "Plains")
  • No new Improvement, no new Building
Balancing Effects:
  • We have a new base Yield and a new Produced Yield
  • Market gets Profession Slots and may help with Food and Health
  • Health can now be balanced by Bonus Ressources for Fruits (indirectly)
  • Distiller / Distiller's House become Multiple Yields per Building and more valuable

D) Wet Logwood: 2 new Yields (Logwood, Coloured Wool Cloth)
(Changes are likely - still trying to work out balance of new Terrains - this is affected.)
Spoiler :

Well, look at this, it is a pitty, and needs to be improved at least a little bit.
There is no reason that "Marsh" is that worthless for all production. (Except Food of course.)
Spoiler :

• Lifestock Breeding has already been clarified in "Breeding Pigs" (see B)
  • Now I however also want to give it a second Plot Yield: Logwood
  • This is basically the "Indigo" of Central America, South America and Caribean Islands
1) Collecting Logwood

Logwood will become the 2nd Base Yield of Marsh.
And of course there will be a Bonus Ressource "Logwood Plants" as well. (I already have it).
  • 1 new Yield: Logwood
  • 1 new Bonus Ressource: Logwood Plants
  • 1 new Profession: Logwood Collector
  • (old) Expert: Expert Coca Planter (will be renamed to "Expert Marsh Planter")
  • (old) Improvement: Collector's Post
2) Dying Wool Cloth using Logwood

And of course we should also do something with Logwood.
So let us use it to colour Wool Cloth and created Coloured Wool Cloth.
(So Coloured Cloth will be split in Coloured Cloth and Coloured Wool Cloth.)
  • 1 new Yield: Coloured Wool Cloth
  • (old) Profession: Wool Cloth Dyer (now using Logwood instead of Indigo)
  • (old) Expert: Master Dyer
  • (old) Special Buidling: Dyer's House + Upgrades

Total Summary "Wet Logwod":

New Yields:

• Logwood --> 2nd Base Yield of Marsh (together with Sugar)
  • Coloured Wool Cloth --> Combined Yield
Otherwise:
  • 2 new Professions
  • 1 Bonus Ressource
  • no new Improvement
  • no new Expert
  • no new Building
Balancing Effects:
  • We massively increased value of Marsh (by a 2nd Yield like most other Terrains
  • We have added a bit more diversity and value to "Dyer's House" / "Dyer"

But be warned, this is just the beginning ... :mischief:
We have just talked about the "crazy birds, dirty pigs, cheap booze and wet wood stuff" yet.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Hi Ray, I'll weigh in on this:

B) Breeding Pigs. I get that this will make wetlands and marsh tiles more valuable and distribute the livestock yields more evenly. Would you consider this idea? Make pigs produced in towns, rather than on pastures outside of town. We could add a worker slot to the stable building where a master rancher might work. Or maybe make a new building such as stockyard or feed lot that produces pigs and provides bonuses to the other livestock yields. My reasoning on this is simply that pigs aren't raised on pastures, but in pens or runs, or whatever. The whole point of raising pigs is that they don't require a pasture per se, but can be fed on corn, peas, acorns, food scraps etc. This may seem overpowered, but because it's a town building it can only be built once in each colony, limiting the total amount of food produced this way.

Butchered pigs produce cheap skins > cheap leather. So I had to look this one up. I'm not really familiar with what pigskin is used for other than that it used to be used for footballs. Apparently it is or was also important in making shoes, hand bags, and other cheap leather stuff. Do we really need this yield? I don't see a problem with making pigs just used for food only. Of course we'd have to bump up the amount of food produced by the butcher from each pig to feed all the workers in the food chain (rancher and butcher) and still keep it economical.

C) Fruits and Hooch. New yield FRUIT, a generic term that covers apples, lemons, bananas, pineapple etc. Yes this is a good idea. I remember in civ4 where you had to collect as many different food types as you could, and the more the variety you had the bigger the boost you would get to health in your cities. I always liked this mechanic and was constantly trying to supply my cities with every food resource. I think a similar mechanic would fit well with this mod. Now you've got me thinking, maybe we need 3 food types: grain, meat and fruits + vegetables. Provide all 3 types in your colony for maximum health boost, fail to provide one and suffer a health penalty.

If you're going to create a new profession for fruit merchant, I'd suggest just making a more generic profession MERCHANT. The merchant works in the town market and sells yields determined by all domestic demand, not just fruit. I don't know if this could be done, just a thought.

FRUIT > HOOCH. :lol: I wasn't happy with this name at first but then I realized I can't think of a better generic term for liquor distilled from fruit. The only other option I can think of is CIDER, but that only works for apples and maybe lemons? I don't know, we've got beer, wine, rum and now hooch, is time to just replace them all with LIQUOR or SPIRITS? There's not much difference between them other than price.

D) Wet Logwood. The whole idea is good and realistic. But will you not be able to use it to dye cotton cloth also?

A) Feathers. In short, I'm not sold on this idea at all. For ducks and waterfowl it makes some sense, but I've never heard of hunting seagulls and parrots for feathers. I think the down for pillows and padded clothing usually comes from farm raised birds. I would say, just give tiles with seagulls, parrots and other wilds bird a flat bonus to food production produced by hunters and leave it at that. But all in all, this idea might work out, especially if in the future you further develop the clothing line of goods. For example I can see padded leather coats being required for whalers or seal hunters.

So that's just my opinion of course. All said I would rather see all 4 options implement exactly as you described rather than not over the above disagreements.

Finally I will add that I'm nearly finished with my map. It just needs a few more native tribes placed and some balancing. I'll be out of town next week but when I come back I plan to release ASAP.

B) Breeding Pigs. I get that this will make wetlands and marsh tiles more valuable and distribute the livestock yields more evenly. Would you consider this idea? Make pigs produced in towns, rather than on pastures outside of town. We could add a worker slot to the stable building where a master rancher might work. Or maybe make a new building such as stockyard or feed lot that produces pigs and provides bonuses to the other livestock yields. My reasoning on this is simply that pigs aren't raised on pastures, but in pens or runs, or whatever. The whole point of raising pigs is that they don't require a pasture per se, but can be fed on corn, peas, acorns, food scraps etc. This may seem overpowered, but because it's a town building it can only be built once in each colony, limiting the total amount of food produced this way.

A pig farm stinks. Modern ones far more due to the sheer number of pigs concentrated but smallers ones too.. So I doubt that pigs would be raised in the citycenter but on farms "outside" the city where additionally it would be easier to get them fed (e.g. by having a pigherder have them feast on acorns in a forest)
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eichelmast

C) Fruits and Hooch. New yield FRUIT, a generic term that covers apples, lemons, bananas, pineapple etc. Yes this is a good idea. I remember in civ4 where you had to collect as many different food types as you could, and the more the variety you had the bigger the boost you would get to health in your cities. I always liked this mechanic and was constantly trying to supply my cities with every food resource. I think a similar mechanic would fit well with this mod. Now you've got me thinking, maybe we need 3 food types: grain, meat and fruits + vegetables. Provide all 3 types in your colony for maximum health boost, fail to provide one and suffer a health penalty.

We just have to remember that cooling was not a thing back then so importing e.g. bananas from South America was difficult and even small delays could spoil the whole load. People used to consume locally produced fruits and vegetables before cooling became commonly available on transports.Having an additional fruit add a negligible amount of health is fine but requiring to have all fruits of the continent available in cities of larger sizes, e.g. in the New York of 1700+ is not realistic.

If you're going to create a new profession for fruit merchant, I'd suggest just making a more generic profession MERCHANT. The merchant works in the town market and sells yields determined by all domestic demand, not just fruit. I don't know if this could be done, just a thought.

FRUIT > HOOCH. :lol: I wasn't happy with this name at first but then I realized I can't think of a better generic term for liquor distilled from fruit. The only other option I can think of is CIDER, but that only works for apples and maybe lemons? I don't know, we've got beer, wine, rum and now hooch, is time to just replace them all with LIQUOR or SPIRITS? There's not much difference between them other than price.

The major difference is who drinks what. Different settlers drink different beverages according to their social status and demand that beverage on the local market. Mixing all beverages to "liquor" blurishes that distinction.

D) Wet Logwood. The whole idea is good and realistic. But will you not be able to use it to dye cotton cloth also?

A) Feathers. In short, I'm not sold on this idea at all. For ducks and waterfowl it makes some sense, but I've never heard of hunting seagulls and parrots for feathers. I think the down for pillows and padded clothing usually comes from farm raised birds. I would say, just give tiles with seagulls, parrots and other wilds bird a flat bonus to food production produced by hunters and leave it at that. But all in all, this idea might work out, especially if in the future you further develop the clothing line of goods. For example I can see padded leather coats being required for whalers or seal hunters.

All feathers of all available coloured birds were used, e.g. by the Aztecs to create colourful headdresses
https://pages.vassar.edu/realarchaeology/2017/09/20/why-are-feathers-so-important-in-the-aztec-culture-piecing-together-the-puzzle/#:~:text=The Aztecs used feathers from many brightly colored,birds were worth more for their vibrant colors.

for Federboas/featherboas or for glamour and prestige like even today
https://images6.alphacoders.com/543/543042.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom