Adding strategic resources as a stability modifier.

Harrier

Deity
As some of you know I am looking at the issue of stability and how to play it in the game. Inevitablly when you start doing something like that, you start to think of other things that could be done.

So here is a suggestion for a new stability modifier.

Strategic Resources.

There are 10 strategic resources in the game. Not having any of these means you can not build effective defenders against stronger neighbours. Which in my opinion would worry the population and government, and should cause some minor instability in that civ.

So I would like to propose the following addition to the game.

When a relevant tech is first researched (by AI or human) that reveals a new strategic resource, check the following after a preset number of turns. (The workers need time to connect it to your cities, assuming you have it of course.)

Every 1 or 3 turns (probably 3):

If the resource is connected to your trade network, add 1 to your stability.
Check your neghbours, if they do not have it, subtract 1 from their stability.

A civ with lots of neighbours may end up with too large a penalty. So after all civs have been checked, if any civ penalty is > -2 make it == -2.

If you or any civ has two or more instances of a resource you/they will feel more secure, so should get an extra +1 added to stability.

The reason for only penalising neighbours without the resources, is that no Civ would be worried about a civ on another continent for instance that had that resource.

At least not until modern times. So we could change the algorithm for Uranium - so that all civs are worried not just neighbours.

To sum up:

Each civ for every resource can have:
+2 - I have two or more of this resource.
Becareful -you will get a hit if you trade away your second one.
+1 - I have it (own or by trade).
0 - giving tech not researched.
0 - tech researched and I do not have the resource neither do my neighbours.
-1 - tech researched and I do not have the resource but one neighbour does have it.
-2 - tech researched and I do not have the resource but two or more neighbours do.

Obvously losing a resource due to pillaging or loss of trade will now have an effect on stability.

I hope it will not be to unbalancing or lead to human exploits. Any thoughts - good or bad about this.

Harrier

It's not good to benefit large empires and penalize smaller ones.

Good point.

The answer is to put a cap on the total benefit or penalty.

i.e. if 'stability increase for this civ' > 5 then stability increase == 5.

The same for negative stability.

A further thought, through time some strategic resources become obsolete as far as military production is concerned.

When that happens the bonus or penalty for that resource should be removed for any civs that have researched the necessary tech.

Why not? Large nations in reality often exploit the smaller ones. It's realistic.

Right, and you do that by demanding gold and resources from smaller, weaker nations at the expense of diplomatic relations. I don't see how exploiting smaller nations is tied to stability.

I kinda agree with the idea, but lemme say that resources already affect happiness, which IIRC is already a stability factor...

also, as an example, Canada has tons of uranium, but no one really fears Canada... aside from small-town Americans, that is...

I kinda agree with the idea, but lemme say that resources already affect happiness, which IIRC is already a stability factor...

also, as an example, Canada has tons of uranium, but no one really fears Canada... aside from small-town Americans, that is...

The resources I am refering too are the strategic ones only. Those that are production related.

e.g. iron working, oil, coal etc.

As you say, the others provide either happiness - which already affects stability., or health which does not - except indirectly via the plague.

As for Canada - under different historical circumstances - who knows what may have happened.

Top Bottom