Additional UUs

Der PH

Combat Smurf
Hello, everybody!

I've modified my Civ3 a lot in the past months, mostly thanks to the superb Graphics Creators in this forum.
I added about 30+ custom units, which are available for all the Civs and now I started to add a 2nd (maybe even 3rd) UU to every Civ. I know I'm not the first to do this, but I cannot find any old threads on this topic (forum search function seems to be disabled).
The additional UUs are not intended to be especially balanced and I think, not all of them should be able to generate a GA. I just want to add some flavour to the game.

O.K. let's go:

Already done:

Greece: Phalanx (2/3/1, available with iron working, NOT replacing swordsman, can trigger GA (representing Alexanders conquest of Persia))

England: Longbowman (4/2/1, everybody else gets the crossbowman with the original 4/1/1-stats)
It cannot start a GA, because IMHO this definitely has to be a later period for England (Man-O-War).
Maybe I will add the Dreadnaught (TVA22's battlewagon-graphics), too to replace my custom battlecruiser (stats somewhere between ironclad and battleship, available with refining, graphics from smoking mirror's pre-dreadnaught early battleship)
Edit: Added the scots guardsman (5/5/1, available with military tradition, where everyone else in my mod gets the fusilier (3/5/1))

China: Cho-ko-nu (replacing the standard crossbowman, which in my mod has a strength-4/zero-range-bombard with RoF 1, the Cho-ko-nu will get RoF 2), can trigger GA.
Edit: Cho-ko-nu finally got the same stats as the standard crossbowman, but is available with mathematics.

Planned:

Persia: Sassanid cavalry (4/2/2, with feudalism every Civ in my mod gets medieval cavalry with 3/2/2, which doesn't need iron)
I'm just looking for a good graphic for it.

Rome: Ballista (a better catapult), graphics exist.

Germany: Better submarine (Wolfpack) using smoking mirror's typeXXX-graphics.

Japan: Yamato-Class-Battleship (bigger, better, maybe more expensive, not replacing the standard battleship) and maybe a better fighter (The Zeros were dominant at the beginning of the war) or the Kamikaze,
Graphics exist.

Russia: T34 (better defense than standard tanks (maybe 2 points)), graphics exist

Egypt: Maybe a 3/1/1-Archer, but I'm not sure about it and I don't yet have found a graphic for it

France: I included a 6/4/1-Grenadier (using the napoleonic rifleman graphics) for all the civs, which becomes available at the end of the medieval age, maybe for the french I'll just make it cheaper, representing the huge army they built up after the revolution)
Edit: I didn't realize this idea and chose the foreign legionary (6/6/1, available with industrialisation) instead.

India: Elephant archer (3/3/2, replacing the before mentioned medieval cavalry (and maybe getting an additional hitpoint))

Ideas needed:

Babylon

America
Edit: America gets the Super carrier, everyone else the nuclear carrier, both available with fission.

Aztecs
Iroquis
Zulu

That's it so far!
Now please comment, add your ideas or give me some hints, how to solve the mentioned problems!

I have done as many extra UUs as there is original units in CIV3!

I have combined Persia and Babylon into 'Arabia' so I can include Scotland as a civ.

Sorry, but I am a patriot!

America
I have added;
Hum-Vee, (combustion)
GI Infantry (replacable parts)
Jeep (motor transport)
Frontier Cavalry (industrialisation)

Aztecs
I have added;
Plumed Archer (warrior code)

Iroquis
I have added;
Brave (warrior code)

Zulu
I have added;
Female Warrior (warrior code)

I have made many changes to my CIV3 Bic,
Including tons of new units,
made certain techs hard to attain,
made the barbs more hardcore...

And made the industrial and modern units more tough...

No spear man is going to beat a panzer...although a cavalry might!

Specialized troops of the Egyptian army.
Some UU's for New Kingdom Egypt:
Ku****e shock troops
Nubian archers
Sappers (heavy shields and battering rams)

The three divisions of Pharoh Seti I:

Suteh - "the heroic archers"
Amen - "the mighty archers"
Re - "the many-armed"

Note: In the late period, most of the soldiers were non-Egyptians.

-
Cimbri

How odd...

Strange censorship. Anyway, the unit of Kushan then, or Ku-shi-te Shock troops.

-
Cimbri

Originally posted by Cimbri

Ku****e shock troops

:lol:
I really like those swearing filters

Originally posted by Cimbri

Nubian archers
Sappers (heavy shields and battering rams)

The three divisions of Pharoh Seti I:

Suteh - "the heroic archers"
Amen - "the mighty archers"
Re - "the many-armed"

Looks as if my idea of a 3/1/1 archer isn't that bad. Do you have any suggestions for a suitable unit graphic to use?

One thing I hate, is how the people began misspelling Janizary by spelling it based on the sound of it, rather than the spelling of it. Like saying "France" instead of "Fraan-say." I like spelling and pronouncing things the same way the people who first used it did or do.

Originally posted by Sa~Craig
there is decent art work for Egyptian Archers on the Pharoah game maybe that will help.

Pharao game?
Is this a Civ3 Scenario or modpack?
Forgive my ignorance, but I haven't heard of this before.
Could you please give me a link or a hint where to find it?

I believe he means the Sierra game, Pharoah. It is an ancient city-building game, based around certain scenarios, like getting a certain amount of inhabitants and money, or such other tasks that would be an Egyptian governor's goal.

Originally posted by Wheel Gator
I like spelling and pronouncing things the same way the people who first used it did
In that case, your Janissary will become a Yengi Çeri.

(I know in modern Turkish it's yeni çeri, but the word for 'new' in earlier Turkish was yengi. Compare with the word for 'new' in Tatar, yanga, and in Kyrgyz, jangy.

In modern Turkish the sound of ng has shifted to n. No kiddin'.)

What I want to know is: How come the Janissary wasn't selected as the Ottoman UU?

I have studied Ottoman history... and edited a book on the subject... and I would think the Janissary is easily the best-known and most prominent Ottoman unit. And the second most famous would be the notorious Bashi Bozuk.

There is the bachi-bouzouk (sorry French spelling) in the Cossack thread in the unit subforum. Janissary will come pretty soon in Cossack2 thread.

Top Bottom