Affinity Traits

The Environmental bonus for leashing fits, but it feels like the more civilian elements of it are the main parts.

Might have to direct the effect elsewhere, just to make the civilian end the focus of the Trait. Maybe there can be Affinity specific national wonders? Or a marvel with affinity specific perks, similar to how you suggested affinity quests for wonders.

I think Monumentalist is strongest from a flavor perspective as Production / Culture.

I agree.

As far as its strength goes, beyond not working on many tiles it must compete with a locational agnostic, though maintenance requiring, tile buff.

I'm comfortable with the current state. But I'm still open to suggestions and changes.

It's roughly the same type of balance call between Adaptive and Sustainable, and I'm still worried that Sustainable would end up being out-competed in that match by the inevitable large city size.

I was mulling over that thought for a while and I definitely see what you mean. It could use something else to make it competitive with Adaptive.

(Though there are those resource creating satellites I'm not a fan of that could make Sustainable great as-is.)

I agree, though I probably would need to see gameplay to

The Autonomous contract bonus as the new trait bonus doesn't work as well thematically in my opinion, since part of the idea is that the city tile is (somewhat) self-sufficient.

I felt that the bonus was stronger and made more sense mechanically as the Trait effect. And while it would make sense for the city itself to be self sufficient, the way that description was worded I feel like you could swing it.

With the current effect I'm looking at it as, all the maintenance and control of the improvements is Autonomous. The city runs it and its the center for all of those yields. Far from perfect, but I think it will work for the time being.

Do you think the names are acceptable enough to do a preliminary shipment to reddit?

I would like Affinity specific buildings, and Affinity specific natural wonders could also be fun.

It could also be a way for force a choice on Affinity, with each requiring the player to choose a Primary or Hybrid Affinity.

With Sustainable vs Adaptive, the options seem to be either amping up the food bonus for resources to the point that Sustainable handily beats Adaptive on the right tiles or, possibly, adding in a health bonus.

The health bonus would feel a little weak, though fitting, because health is typically not much of a factor later on.

I still think the thematic and mechanical dichotomy between Autonomous and Developmental is stronger when Autonomous focuses on the city tile while Developmental focuses on others.

The names seem solid enough, though I'd hope for feedback beyond two people working on the system.

Two is just enough for disagreements and constructive criticism, but more could give insights from other angles.

In paricular a Supremacy fan's take would be nice.

I would like Affinity specific buildings, and Affinity specific natural wonders could also be fun.

It could also be a way for force a choice on Affinity, with each requiring the player to choose a Primary or Hybrid Affinity.

We're going to have 6 variations of things now. I wonder if Hybrids are getting their own Unique Buildings and Quest lines? Could probably mod that, if all else fails. (The former sounds easy enough, the latter sounds much more difficult.)

This makes me want to go back to your Natural Wonders posts and figure some potential ideas for that. Still need to see the complete mindset of all the hybrids (Player conflicts on theme still need to be resolved.) but I think it could be pretty interesting to see Hybrid Wonders as well.

The names seem solid enough, though I'd hope for feedback beyond two people working on the system.

Two is just enough for disagreements and constructive criticism, but more could give insights from other angles.

In paricular a Supremacy fan's take would be nice.

I think we've hit the point where we've more or less done all we can without actually trying to implement it.

Ideally hybrids would get their own unique buildings and quests, though I think those would only divert from pure affinities in the mid to late game.

Here's the thread to save you a search, currently at seven natural wonders.

I think it would be best to keep them to three decisions for each main affinity, with hybrids open to choosing between two options.

There should be fully quests for the hybrids, though.

I still think Monumental should be a production bonus rather than Energy, both for power and theme reasons.

Ideally hybrids would get their own unique buildings and quests, though I think those would only divert from pure affinities in the mid to late game.

I think it would be best to keep them to three decisions for each main affinity, with hybrids open to choosing between two options.

I would definitely like to see Hybrids solidified into their own identity. The impression that I get, it feels like many people are viewing them as scions and not true syntheses. I would like to reinforce their individuality by providing more opportunities to make them stray away from the decisions of their "parent" Affinities.

There should be fully quests for the hybrids, though.

I pray there are.

I still think Monumental should be a production bonus rather than Energy, both for power and theme reasons.

I'm pretty sure I have production written down...

The issue with Natural Wonder quests is that it can be hard to split them into three, making splitting them into six seem very unlikely.

As-is some of the options feel a bit like cop-outs.

I think unique buildings and perhaps tile improvements would be the best way to emphasize hybrid distinctiveness alongside the traits system.

Alongside that perhaps we could see powerful buildings requiring high levels of a primary affinity, to also make them distinct and equally reward hybrid and pure affinities with unlocks.

Monumentalist shows energy right now.

The issue with Natural Wonder quests is that it can be hard to split them into three, making splitting them into six seem very unlikely.

I think unique buildings and perhaps tile improvements would be the best way to emphasize hybrid distinctiveness alongside the traits system.[/QUOTE]

I understand, but at the same time, I don't think its good for immersion purposes. Anything that can help ensure players don't sink into "smash 2 affinities together" is a good idea in my opinion.

Improvements are an interesting idea. The base affinities are Biowell, Dome, and Node right? With Terrascape doubling the thematically Purity improvements... I'm a fan of the Harmony equivalent of the Terrascape that I think was added by one of Ryika's mod? I forget at this point. But I think it would work as the improvement of Harmony/Purity.

Monumentalist shows energy right now.

*shakes fist at typo BEGONE ENERGY! You're meant to be PRODUCTION! (It was Production on every other copy I had of the Trait except the one that actually mattered... rookie mistake.)

Terrascapes work well for Purity / Harmony with the radical environmental change or the tame conservationist interpretation, though it obviously also fits Purity.

I'm much less certain on the other two hybrids.

Correction, it was HandyVac's Affinities As Yields. It introduced the "Hybrid Jungle" which is a Harmony equivalent of the Terrascape that must be built of a Forest.

I think that giving Harmony/Purity their own version of the Terrascape might be more interesting. Either that or making it so that they can build Terrascapes even in the presence of Miasma.

Until we know more about the Hybrid affinities, I don't think we can come up with reasonable improvements.

Top Bottom