After playing a few marathon games on Very hard, I have a few unanswered questions...

Yes, it is whichever city expands to the tile first. So in the situation where one city already has claimed the tile, “ownership” is clear enough. My question is about tiles that get absorbed into your borders after both cities have been founded. For example, one of the two might already have a horse resource, so the new horse resource I really want assigned to the other city. How can I control that? What if the new resource is in the second ring of one, but the third ring of the other, can I still cause the tile to be assigned to the city which is further away?

Yes, it is whichever city expands to the tile first. So in the situation where one city already has claimed the tile, “ownership” is clear enough. My question is about tiles that get absorbed into your borders after both cities have been founded. For example, one of the two might already have a horse resource, so the new horse resource I really want assigned to the other city. How can I control that? What if the new resource is in the second ring of one, but the third ring of the other, can I still cause the tile to be assigned to the city which is further away?

You go in the city screen you want the ressource to be worked out and click on it so it'll be green. You'll see a double arrow on the ressource meaning it is currently being worked out by another city.

You go in the city screen you want the ressource to be worked out and click on it so it'll be green. You'll see a double arrow on the ressource meaning it is currently being worked out by another city.

I am not talking about working the tile. I am asking about “owning” the tile when it is a resource which is a prerequisite for a building. I am pretty sure, but not certain, that once the tile is within your cultural borders, that it is then too late to do anything about it. But maybe, if the first turn the resource is available, I have the second city work the tile, then that city could build any associated building?

In my experience, whenever this has come up, the tile always “belongs” to the wrong city! I am looking for tips to have better control over the assignment of resources that are within rings 2 and 3 of two cities.

Not sure to understand at all but when any city of your empire has a ressource any other city has it too.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I will try and explain again. Some buildings have nearby resources as a prerequisite. For example, a city can’t build a circus unless it can work ivory or horses. A city can’t build a stable unless it can work horses or sheep or cattle. But it is a little more complicated than that, as the city also needs to “own” the tile. For example, if there is a single horse tile between two cities, only one of the cities gets to build a circus, not both. My question is, when a resource tile is up for grabs like this, can I control which city the tile get assign to?

For example, if there is a single horse tile between two cities, only one of the cities gets to build a circus, not both.

Is this true? All this time I've just assumed that, if 2 cities both share a Horse tile in their borders, they can both build the Stable and Circus.

If what you say is correct, it seems the best course of action would be to build the Circus and Stable in the city that is working the tile, then go into the other city's screen and click the "circular double arrow" to make that city work the tile, and see if you can build the Stable and Circus in the 2nd city.

If what you say is correct, it seems the best course of action would be to build the Circus and Stable in the city that is working the tile, then go into the other city's screen and click the "circular double arrow" to make that city work the tile, and see if you can build the Stable and Circus in the 2nd city.

If the second city does not have another horse tile available, it will not have the option to build Circus and Stable even if working the first horse tile. It is quite annoying. Please try it for yourself the next time you are in that situation!

Is this true? All this time I've just assumed that, if 2 cities both share a Horse tile in their borders, they can both build the Stable and Circus
That was changed quite a while ago - not exactly sure when, though. But you definitely cannot share a horse/ivory tiles between multiple cities anymore.

Buying the tile from the 'right' city is the only way to control this AFAIK. You could monitor the possible border expansions of the 'wrong' city and when it's about to (possibly) claim the tile, decide if you want to buy it instead.

Top Bottom