Aggressive Wildlife - A Hostile Planet

I really like these changes, but I'd like to be able to turn off the permanent hostility. Seems too hard for the AI to deal with (even on Apollo). Any chance this could be made modular? Or just a section of the code I should comment out?

An alternative I was thinking of was that aliens start at neutral, but their attitude can only grow more negative, never more positive. So anything you do to piss them off makes them permanently more aggressive. This would probably be a quick way to overcome the glitches in the vanilla game that are making them stay neutral.

EDIT: After looking around a bit, it looks like the factors that influence alien opinion are not moddable in XML or LUA. However, there is a variable called AlienOpinionRecoveryMod used by the Harmony L1 perk, which I think could be used to make aliens get aggressive faster (by setting it to say -200 at affinity level 0).

I'm going to see if I can play with that to get the aliens to start neutral but still become aggressive more easily. There may also be a way to make this perk affect the human player only, so the AIs won't get wrecked by the aliens as badly.

As an easy alternative you could just edit the thresholds at which aliens change their mood in the GlobalDefines ( Sid Meier's Civilization Beyond Earth\assets\Gameplay\XML ). In my mod, you'll find the changes in XML/Update_Defines.xml. If you just change the "ALIEN_OPINION_XYZ_THRESHOLD"s to something like 15 (friendly), -5 (hostile), -10 (very hostile), you'll get neutral aliens that become hostile very fast. (Though that might make them seem somewhat bipolar if you just poke but don't actively attack them and their mood swaps back and forth. ^^)

However, I didn't even set the spawntables for opinions other than very hostile, so you'd also need to edit the aliens.lua and copy the [AlienOpinions.ALIEN_OPINION_VERY_HOSTILE]-part of the 3 spawntables in that file over to [AlienOpinions.ALIEN_OPINION_NEUTRAL] and [AlienOpinions.ALIEN_OPINION_HOSTILE].

Not really sure what the outcome would be though. AIs tend to clear nests near their borders, so they'd probably aggro the aliens rather early anyway. That said, this mod is - sort of - meant to cause chaos and annihilation, especially once (young) siege worms come into play - if you just want more interesting/dangerous aliens, then Alien Strains or Warlike Aliens - or even Enhanced Aliens (SO MANY alien mods... ^^) - may be the better choice for you.

Has been a while but the mod has now finally gotten its aquatic wildlife overhauled, wuhu. Not that many changes actually, but I feel they do work better than the original aliens.

Sea Dragons are now a Range 1 Unit and roughly as strong as a tier 2 ship - why range 1? Well, that way they're more dangerous when attacking your cities (they don't take damage) and at the same time weaker against ships (because ships defend with their range strength, not their laughable melee-strength). So it'll now be easier, but also more important to defend by using a navy, instead of just letting them die when attacking your cities. This also means that sea aliens can no longer destroy cities on their own, but of course, if you have offshore-tiles that you want to use, you'll still need to defend yourself. A second Tier of Sea Dragons has been added to keep up with your upgraded boats for a while.

Kraken have also been changed to be range 1. They still can't enter coastal tiles though - which may or may not change in the future.

Other than that I've reverted some of the changes that the last official patch made to the Apollo AI:
- Doesn't get a free affinity level anymore and its bonus-strength against aliens has been set back to 40% (was 60%).
- Only gets 2 free combat units instead of 3.

I felt that these changes were just to strong against the aliens - the AI pretty much wasn't effected by them at all, so I tuned them down again.

Then there's also swarmmode. Basically Apollo with drastically(!) increased Alien spawnrates (+ More Starting Units) for now. Choose "Heart of the Swarm" as your difficulty to give it a try.

I like this mod, makes the early game interesting. In my experience, though, the AI has no problem expanding and dealing with aliens, even on Souyz, while i get sieged and stomped around.

But i can't finish any game because after 200 or so turns, aliens turn more into an repetitive, unavoidable annoyance. The early game, trying to survive hordes of everything, with siege worms around and stuff, is really fun, but all this micromanagement all the way into the endgame bores me. I'd like to suggest (dunno if that would be a popular change) to make it so that destroyed nests never respawn. Maybe make nests like the Gate wonders, that you can't destroy by just pillaging it, you have to damage the nest until it's gone, so the ALiens can have a chance to defend it.

Would you consider uploading this here at CF for those of us who have issues with Steam? Thanks.

steamworkshopdownloader.com <- Download from workshop with your browser instead of steam client

Thank you very much for this mod, I'm having a blast. It is a very tricky challenge to have a large enough army to keep the waves of aliens back (playing heart of the swarm with frenzied) and still keep your economy chugging and empire growing.

I don't see a method to delete this post, but I believe it was because of the map type rather than your mod

Spoiler :
Hey, I was running your mod and noticed that no new aliens spawned and there were no nests.

I was playing on marathon, massive planet, heart of the swarm difficulty.

As far as I'm aware, none of the other mods I'm running should have altered alien spawn rate

The list of mods I was running:
True Terraforming
UI: Notification for units nearing death in miasma
Aggressive Wildlife - A Hostile planet
Info Addict
Colorful Tech Web
Sponsors Revised
New Horizons
Advanced Loadout
Visually distinctive Terrains - Fungal Biome
User Interface Tweaks
UI - City Cachement