AI cheats

deity of civ2

Chieftain
Everybody knows the most common AI cheat, the "lucky units."
This cheat is very common in Civ3. But once, only once in lifetime (filled with Civ2, of course) it happened to my favor. My engineer won a German fighter! :D

Fighters are rubbish, it has to be said and I'm not surprised an engineer could defeat one, especially if they were on good terrain or in a fortress. Do the non-combat units have 0 defense as I believe they do/should? They do seem to win fights occasionally though. Anyone know why?

I was playing last night and had a non-vet tank in a coastal city without defenses take an enemy battleship down to all black (it only just won though :(). These things can happen to everyone so they aren't cheats.

NON combat units only have an attack of 0.

A settler has a defense of 1 and engineer even 2.
They both have 2HP which translates to a max of 20 damage points.
A fighter has an attack of 4 and firepower of 2. That means he can kill the engineer or settler in 2 rounds. But the probability is 4/2 or 2/1. That means in 66% of all cases the fighter wins 1 round and 33% the engineer wins. To defeat the fighter, the engineer has to win 4 rounds, because he only got a firepower of 1.

The probability calculation does however not include veteranarity, defensive terrain boni etc.
So for example a veteran engineer on a mountain has 2 + 1 (veteran) + 6 (300% mountain bonus) = 9 defensive points.
Against a fighter that would mean 4/9 probability. In 9 of 13 cases the engineer wins a round, and he only needs 4 rounds to win.

So the chances in this scenario are pretty good for the engineer!

As duke said, "Fighter are rubbish!"
:D

Nah, fighters are great against pikemen and legions! :D

Perhaps YOUR fighters are rubbish, my friend, but if you can build some before Sun Tzu expires and find some poor cannon (or artillery or diplomat or any totally weak defensive you can beat with a swift stroke), then your trashy little plane will be a veteran for the rest of the game! :cooool: :groucho: That makes them valuable for scouting, quick hit runs in enemy territory, and a mobile defense force.

Besides, Mr. Duke o' York, I thought that engineers couldn't fortify themselves. :confused: If you hit 'F' outside a city, you get a fortress. If you do in a city square, the game says 'sorry old chap, not here' (or something like that)

Well that's entirely true. I never said that I had fortified an engineer anywhere. Besides, you don't get a fortification bonus for any unit that it is a fortress. You can of course fortify them if you just want to forget about them and not have to worry about them any more but putting them to sleep often works better so that you get an early warning of the enemy approaching. :goodjob:

The major advantage of the fighter is that it does not cause unhappiness in a democracy. I just bypass them and move straight to stealth fighters. So much better than stealth bombers and without the happiness problems! :D

Originally posted by Marlos
Perhaps YOUR fighters are rubbish, my friend, but if you can build some before Sun Tzu expires and find some poor cannon (or artillery or diplomat or any totally weak defensive you can beat with a swift stroke), then your trashy little plane will be a veteran for the rest of the game! :cooool: :groucho: That makes them valuable for scouting, quick hit runs in enemy territory, and a mobile defense force.

Besides, Mr. Duke o' York, I thought that engineers couldn't fortify themselves. :confused: If you hit 'F' outside a city, you get a fortress. If you do in a city square, the game says 'sorry old chap, not here' (or something like that)

Engineers and settlers, I think, CAN fortify while in a city at least. You have to go to the city screen and click on the unit. The choice of fortifying is then given.

To get a vet fighter is all well and good, but really for me I'll only build them if I'm seeing bombers from the AI (which they'll build ad nauseum once they have advanced flight). Other than that, I'll be happier to use the shields to build another howitzer! Stealth fighters, though, can be both fun AND nutricious. :)

Fighters are the only way to handle all the bombers the A.I. loves to use. SAM's help, but the bombers are sitting ducks after they make their attack! And after your fighter chews up a bomber or two, he is a vet. Lets you "reach out and touch someone", especially loaded transports getting too close to your coast. they work wonders on the occasional barb vessel too.

:tank: :beer:

by Lucky:

NON combat units only have an attack of 0.

Your use of capital letters might confuse some newer players with NONE and NON units. "non-combat" units do have an attack of 0; and the game in turn uses that valuse of 0 for lots of other purposes, too. But from his context, I think Duke may have been referring to the specific non-combat units of Spy and Diplomat (and the combat units of Nuke and Cruise Missile).

In theory, these have defense of 0 and should immediately lose any battle. In practice, there is a possibility they can win an individual hit point resolution when the game is computing the series of results to determine the victor of a battle. This occurs when the random number generator chooses 0... this will result in a hit point deduction from the attacker. The net effect can be observed when you attack barb leaders with weak attack units, esp when those leaders are on mountains. A horseman, for example, will often lose 2 or 3 hit points ("health") when attacking the barb leader (actually a diplomat) on a mountain... yet the defense factor is "Zero".... The odds are astronomical, but possible, a diplomat can defeat even a battleship :).

The proper resolution and odds of combat in Civ II is probably the single most complex issue in Civ II. This is tangled quite a bit because the easily accessible "sources" like the Prima Guide are not really correct...

The folks like SlowThinker (I can't recall the others right off) have done lots of awesome work in figuring out how the Civ II combat system really works, and particularly in some cases, the results might be quite surprising and conter-intuitive.

BTW, the game itself does not "damage points" that you were talking about. I won't open the whole FP, HP discussion, except to say that

Since combat resolution is a quagmire to accurately explain in full, a starting point for those that might wish to pump iron with their mind might want to begin with this thread of Slow Thinker:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=707&highlight=combat

With all that said, the actual (exact) computations are really probably a moot point for most players... Civ is such a fun game, but there is quite a bit going on behind those graphics ;)...

By Kev:

Engineers and settlers, I think, CAN fortify while in a city at least. You have to go to the city screen and click on the unit. The choice of fortifying is then given.

This is a case of yes and no. Yes, the setler can fortify in a city, and the entrenched graphic wll appear after one turn. However, you can fortify fighters, battleships, etc. too. But this is quite misleading to human eyes... the game has been programmed to allow the option and graphic, but behind the scenes, you get no credit for fortification during combat resolution if the unit is not normally entitled to fortify on land terrain.

This was a programmers shortcut, and the entrenchment is eye candy only for setters, engineers, ships, and planes. Here is the "rule": if you can fortify a unit on an open land tile, your will get the fortification credit, including within cities. If not, you won't.

FWIW. :)

Originally posted by duke o' york
Fighters are rubbish, it has to be said and I'm not surprised an engineer could defeat one, especially if they were on good terrain or in a fortress. Do the non-combat units have 0 defense as I believe they do/should? They do seem to win fights occasionally though. Anyone know why?

I was playing last night and had a non-vet tank in a coastal city without defenses take an enemy battleship down to all black (it only just won though :(). These things can happen to everyone so they aren't cheats.

A battleship lost to my Knight:D

-Jed

Top Bottom