AI City-State Allies

MrDrizzt

Chieftain
Hi everybode,
It was a long time since I posted here but recently I have started to play Civ again.

From time to time I can see in the Notification Log (F7) and on the right side of the screen that the AI states ally with one or more CS. The strange thing is that during the same turn an AI state sometimes ally with a CS, bringing it in to a war, and then immediately stops being an ally with the CS. It looks like this in the log:
Turn: 311 - Persia is no longer the Ally of Ragusa!
Turn: 311 - Ragusa has declared war on Gandhi!
Turn: 311 - Persia is now the Ally of Ragusa.
All this happens during the same turn and I think you are supposed to read the log in the reverse order (from bottom to top). How is the AI able to ally with a CS during the same turn that it stops being an ally with the same CS?
I have checked the CS info screen to see if somebody else got allied with it but it wasn't. Is the AI cheating in some way because I can't figured out how to do this by myself? If I could, this sometimes would be a good way to distract an AI assault when I'm not prepared.

I see City States who were allied the previos turn, first become allied to another AIciv, which can create all sorts of wars, then become re allied to the original, thus returning to the original state of wars. I assume it has to happen this way because it is a turn based game! It can be very annoying!

I've seen this many times, and think it's due to the timings of events.

I think AI bribes to CSs is done before the re-calculation of their current score with the CSs. This would produce the effect described.

The bribe would take effect first, and if it's +60, it would hit allied status, and therefore the DoW would action immediately, but that allied status would drop to friends (and therefore not allies) when the -1 (or whatever the drop-rate is for that civ) takes effect.

I've seen this many times, and think it's due to the timings of events.

I think AI bribes to CSs is done before the re-calculation of their current score with the CSs. This would produce the effect described.

The bribe would take effect first, and if it's +60, it would hit allied status, and therefore the DoW would action immediately, but that allied status would drop to friends (and therefore not allies) when the -1 (or whatever the drop-rate is for that civ) takes effect.

Yes, it probably works as you describe it. The AI Civ bribes the CS just barely over the limit to become an ally and any war declarations are done. Next in sequence but during the same turn the decrementation is done which brings the status down to friends (and hence the "No longer ally"-message).

The sequence during a turn seems to be:
1. Human
2. AI Civs
3. City-States
4. Barbarians

So it kind of fits in.

Thanks for helping figuring this out.

The AI oftent bribes an citie state just sow when he declares war on you the citie state will olso declare war and will dislike you sow it will be harder to be friend with it actually good move from the Ai if i may say

Top Bottom