AI doesn't build naval units

Civilopedian

Chieftain
Recently been playing Maori on Fractal and one thing I notice is that the AI isn't challenging me at all in the sea.

This basically means if I spawn on my own island there is no chance my cities will get attacked by multiple ships.

Is that your experience too? Is there a mod to change this behaviour? Barb camps and city states build ships but other civs don't.

Recently been playing Maori on Fractal and one thing I notice is that the AI isn't challenging me at all in the sea.

This basically means if I spawn on my own island there is no chance my cities will get attacked by multiple ships.

Is that your experience too? Is there a mod to change this behaviour? Barb camps and city states build ships but other civs don't.
I've seen AI build ships. A little while ago I was playing as Portugal on Huge Earth TSL and got into a war with Dido. Her galleys caused absolute havoc with my sea trade routes, from Denmark down through the strait of Gibraltar and throughout the Mediterranean. Given that was my entire coastline and as Portugal my main bonus was from sea trade routes...I was having a rough time. I managed to build enough galleys to wipe her navy out and blockade her, but it was quite the problem for me.

That's not to say that it couldn't be improved, but "zero chance" isn't correct. Still, the naval game could be upped quite a bit...although I feel that the sea Barbs could actually do with being toned down.

I've seen AI build ships. A little while ago I was playing as Portugal on Huge Earth TSL and got into a war with Dido. Her galleys caused absolute havoc with my sea trade routes, from Denmark down through the strait of Gibraltar and throughout the Mediterranean. Given that was my entire coastline and as Portugal my main bonus was from sea trade routes...I was having a rough time. I managed to build enough galleys to wipe her navy out and blockade her, but it was quite the problem for me.

That's not to say that it couldn't be improved, but "zero chance" isn't correct. Still, the naval game could be upped quite a bit...although I feel that the sea Barbs could actually do with being toned down.

I feel like even if they build ships they don't use them to attack other civilizations. Civs don't come from half way across the map with a bunch of frigates and caravels with land units to hold the captured cities as part of a full scale invasion

and that is disappointing

Even Harald doesn't always build a lot of ships or use them very well. On Maps with smaller landmasses the AI does build more naval ships, but rarely are they used effectively. I find myself skimping on naval building even on maps with more water because the AI doesn't threaten from sea much.

They seem to build fewer now and it was supposed to be improved. I remember Rome building submarines and raiding my coast in one of my early games.

Now it seems like it has to be a naval specific civ like the Dido example above. I've definitely seen Freddy crank out Uboats and Harald will often over emphasize navy.

I always chuckle when I see an AI's naval unit in a very small landlocked body of water (like a galley in a 3-4 hex lake).

... although, having a beast of a ship defending a lakeside city is often a good tactic.

I agree with Hellenism Salesman - the barbarians are pretty brutal as far as naval power goes during the early phases of the game.

I always chuckle when I see an AI's naval unit in a very small landlocked body of water (like a galley in a 3-4 hex lake).

... although, having a beast of a ship defending a lakeside city is often a good tactic.

I agree with Hellenism Salesman - the barbarians are pretty brutal as far as naval power goes during the early phases of the game.
That's why I find canals fun. Defending an inland city with a frigate is pretty sweet.

Speaking of lakes near the sea, If anyone wants to try and take my capital, good luck

Attachments

• 20210616204720_1.jpg
    20210616204720_1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 142

Hernan Cortes agrees with you!

Last edited:
Top Bottom