1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

AI doesn't build naval units

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Civilopedian, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Civilopedian

Civilopedian Chieftain

Recently been playing Maori on Fractal and one thing I notice is that the AI isn't challenging me at all in the sea.

This basically means if I spawn on my own island there is no chance my cities will get attacked by multiple ships.

Is that your experience too? Is there a mod to change this behaviour? Barb camps and city states build ships but other civs don't.

2. Linklite

Linklite Emperor

I've seen AI build ships. A little while ago I was playing as Portugal on Huge Earth TSL and got into a war with Dido. Her galleys caused absolute havoc with my sea trade routes, from Denmark down through the strait of Gibraltar and throughout the Mediterranean. Given that was my entire coastline and as Portugal my main bonus was from sea trade routes...I was having a rough time. I managed to build enough galleys to wipe her navy out and blockade her, but it was quite the problem for me.

That's not to say that it couldn't be improved, but "zero chance" isn't correct. Still, the naval game could be upped quite a bit...although I feel that the sea Barbs could actually do with being toned down.

3. ThunderLizard2

ThunderLizard2 Warlord

AI builds few ships and doesn't know how to use any of them. Just part of the braindead AI in Civ VI.

4. Civilopedian

Civilopedian Chieftain

I feel like even if they build ships they don't use them to attack other civilizations. Civs don't come from half way across the map with a bunch of frigates and caravels with land units to hold the captured cities as part of a full scale invasion

and that is disappointing

Time Tested likes this.
  5. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Emperor

Guess you aren't playing againt harald...

6. Lanthar

Lanthar SPQR

Even Harald doesn't always build a lot of ships or use them very well. On Maps with smaller landmasses the AI does build more naval ships, but rarely are they used effectively. I find myself skimping on naval building even on maps with more water because the AI doesn't threaten from sea much.

7. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

They seem to build fewer now and it was supposed to be improved. I remember Rome building submarines and raiding my coast in one of my early games.

Now it seems like it has to be a naval specific civ like the Dido example above. I've definitely seen Freddy crank out Uboats and Harald will often over emphasize navy.

Hellenism Salesman likes this.
  8. japanesesamurai

japanesesamurai Prince

Dido builds like 100’s of her special boats. And then never upgrades them.... :-s

9. aieeegrunt

aieeegrunt King

Meanwhile the barbs are obliterating my coastal cities like it’s Normandy on turn 5

10. Hellenism Salesman

Hellenism Salesman Prince

Seriously, the Barb Clans game mode is a death sentence on Archipelago

Futumch likes this.
  11. Futumch

Futumch Calm as a Coma

I always chuckle when I see an AI's naval unit in a very small landlocked body of water (like a galley in a 3-4 hex lake).

... although, having a beast of a ship defending a lakeside city is often a good tactic.

I agree with Hellenism Salesman - the barbarians are pretty brutal as far as naval power goes during the early phases of the game.

Hellenism Salesman likes this.
  12. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

That's why I find canals fun. Defending an inland city with a frigate is pretty sweet.

Futumch likes this.
  13. Civilopedian

Civilopedian Chieftain

Speaking of lakes near the sea, If anyone wants to try and take my capital, good luck

Attached Files:

14. tsf4

tsf4 Warlord

Hernan Cortes agrees with you!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021