Aircraft crashing sound effect

rhodie

Bwana M'Kubwa
In Civ III Conquests when a bomber is intercepted and destroyed by a city fighter, there is a sound file of the aircraft crashing. For some reason, that sound effect has become corrupted in my sceanario as once it starts, it plays continuously until the game is aborted.
Has anyone had similar problems? If so, how can it be repaired?
I've hunted through all the sound folders (Civ III, PTW and Conquests) for the sound file but cannot find it.

Thanks again. I opened it with Adobe Audition but like you said, the loop attribute was not set, so I'm baffled why it suddenly repeated itself endlessly. We'll see what happens next time I get shot down.
Cheers

Can you play the sound in another player and see how it sounds?

Also load the plane in questions INI file and do that ever popular sesame street game
"One of these things is not like the other, one of these things is not quite the same..." compare and contrast it to a working units ini file...

rhodie... I checked the Bomber Death wav and made sure it is not looped. You can check if it is looped in a Good Sound Program.

Try adding this correct sound to your CIV III Bomber Unit Folder and see if it corrects the problem.
Program Files\Infogrames Interactive\Civilization III\Art\units\Bomber

Attachments

• BomberDeath.zip
    75.6 KB · Views: 47
Thank you all. Problem solved. It was a replacement sound effect that I had added to a new bomber unit that was causing the problem. It wasn't looped but may be too long. I'll try to resolve that problem later. In the meantime, I've changed the sound effect back to the norm so it should function properly.
Cheers:)

Thanks for the offer Vuldacon. I've had a look using Adobe Audition but can't see anything wrong with the sound file. Anyway here it is. Maybe you can find something.

rhodie... sorry I did not get a chance to check back until a few minutes ago.

I checked the sound and it is Looped as well as about 7 and 1/2 seconds in duration. It was very Loud/distorted.

I combined the two sound bytes that were in the Loop, adjusted the sound level and faded it, added a "Metal Ambience" to it and shortened the sound to just a little over the Normal Bomber Death sound that the game uses.

I did not check this in the game but it should work well...If you want or need any adjustments, let me know.

Here is a screenshot of your sound and the Zip File for the New sound I Renamed to keep it separate.

Attachments

• Sound_Screenshot.pcx
    75 KB · Views: 60
  • crash_prop_damagefade.zip
    106.9 KB · Views: 50
Thanks for the help Vuldacon.
I replaced your wav in the unit and removed a loop I found in the unit's attack wav. Both files now work well with the unit in my scenario.
By the way, do you know where I can get a programme that opens and modifies .amb files?

Hello vuldacon.
I've just found your very detailed explanation on the use of sound and amb files that you posted in Feb08. It is very interesting, especially about the use of WordPad to open amb files. :goodjob:
I have created several sound files using Sound Recorder and Adobe Audition 1.5 for use in specific units that I created (but will only upload for general use after I release my scenario). I had noticed that some sounds were not always synchronised with the animation – overrun, etc. Now I know why and will add sound editing to my list of ‘more things to do’. Thanks.

rhodie... Glad you found it helpful :) As you work with adding sounds the procedures will become more clear as well as things you can do to make them work better.
It would be nice to have a program for making .amb files especially for the Run animations for units but it is possible to make Run sounds that will work well without .amb files... just requires time with much testing and adjusting.

Top Bottom