Workarounds and suggestions for making Civ III run well in 2023

Lord_Hill

Prince
This post is designed to cover the workarounds and enhancements needed to play Civilization III comfortably in the year 2023 on a modern PC. It's not exhaustive by any means, but should act as a good starting point for anyone having issues with the game.

Where can I buy Civ III in 2023?
Civilization III Complete is available to purchase as a digital download on both Steam
and GOG.com

You may wish to have a look at the 'quirks of the Steam release' and 'quirks of the GOG release' sections to help decide which version is best for you.
Second hand versions of the physical release can still occasionally be found in stores, on ebay etc, but read the next section before picking up a physical copy.

Can I use my original CDs?
Not easily. The majority of retail releases of Civ III contain a particularly nasty copy protection scheme called SafeDisc. This scheme was considered sufficiently unsafe by Microsoft that it was globally disabled in a Windows 7 patch and all subsequent Windows versions. This means that your Civ III CDs will NOT work on a modern OS.
See thread https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/civ-3-windows-update-kb3086255-safedisc.552308/ for more details.

There are a few workarounds for this
-there are a small number of CD releases which do not contain Safedisc (instead either using the still functional SecuRom protection or having no protection at all) and can still be picked up second hand. Confirmed to work so far is the Civilization Chronicles boxed set, the US PTW disc and the German 'Green Pepper' budget release

-the recommended work around is to replace your installed EXE with a drm free version provided by Firaxis to the German magazine pcgames.de and made publicly available with Firaxis' consent. This version is also supported by the unofficial patch discussed below

CivFanatics does not support software piracy of any kind, the only replacement EXE that has been officially provided by Firaxis and is publicly available is the pcgames.de EXE described above.

I get a black screen when I start the game. What can I do?
Civ III is an old game that was not designed to work particularly well with modern high resolution monitors. By default the game runs in a forced 1024x768, with the intro movie playing at 640x480 and this can cause problems starting the game.

In the Conquests sub-folder of your install directory there is an ini file called 'conquests.ini'. This can be opened in any text editor and provides some advanced options which can be modified.
The important ones for starting the game are
KeepRes=1
Setting this to 1 will force the game to display at your desktop resolution. The title screen is not resized so will be letterboxed, but the in game resolution is changed and the whole screen is used. This will often be enough to get the game starting.
PlayIntro=0
The game often does not like switching resolutions to play the intro video, disabling it can work around this.
Video Mode
Combined with KeepRes=1 you can force the game to run in a window at a specific resolution. Only a small number of resolutions are available (see the linked thread for the full list). Note the space between Video & Mode

For a full list of options available in conquests.ini, see this thread

And finally, check your high DPI settings and make sure 'Override high DPI behaviour' is set to 'Application' as per this thread. You might have to click on 'Change settings for all users' and change it there if the setting is greyed out in the normal properties menu.

Do I need to run the game in XP compatibility mode?
In my testing, despite what some advice says online, you actually don't, and it appears to improve performance slightly if you switch it off.
I did have an issue where the game wouldn't start on first run without it, but was unable to recreate that issue again.

My current advice is to enable XP compatibility mode the first time you start the game, then switch it off for subsequent runs.

The music & sound on the diplomacy screen is glitchy or completely broken
This is a well known issue on modern PCs due to modern Windows poor handling of legacy multi-channel audio. The only known fix is to use a third party program, IndirectSound by John-Paul Ownby which is a drop in dll file that emulates the multi-channel audio. Download it from here https://www.indirectsound.com/ and follow the instructions (basically copy the files into your Conquests subfolder)

However, there is a further issue with this. IndirectSound itself is an older program which relies on the Visual Studio 2010 x86 Redistributable. This redistributable is no longer provided by default with modern windows versions, so must be installed manually. You can currently get it from here https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/windows/latest-supported-vc-redist?view=msvc-170 but this may change in the future.

Even with KeepRes=1 and PlayIntro=0, Civ III doesn't work on my UHD / Multi monitor setup, anything else I can try?
Unfortunately Civ III does not cope well with particularly large monitors. KeepRes appears to have an upper resolution limit (and the text does not rescale and will get smaller and smaller). The suggested workarounds here are not perfect and will be very much dependent on your particular setup.

-Check your high DPI scaling settings as per the black screen section above.
-Drop your desktop resolution before you play and continue to use KeepRes=1 (not ideal because it will mess up your desktop and is tedious to change every time)
-Play windowed using Video Mode in conquests.ini and experiment with sizes to get the best fit.

Quirks of the gog release
The GOG release is completely DRM free and does not require any storefront to run.
XP compatibility mode is set by default (you may wish to switch this off)
GOG provides a separate launcher EXE instead of just running the Conquests.EXE directly. The launcher has a single function, to disable Windows' ClearType feature whilst the game is playing, which fixes the pink highlighting around some of the text (eg. the Domestic Advisor). You can ignore the launcher and just run the game from the EXE as well.
LAN support but no internet multiplayer. Use steam if you want that feature.
The Rise of Rome conquests scenario is inexplicably missing.
Full mod support.

Quirks of the steam release
Requires the steam storefront to run
XP compatibility is off by default
Steam based multiplayer available but LAN removed
Broken mod support (requires workaround, see below)

My mods have broken text with the steam release
The steam release has a modified labels.txt file which breaks support for a lot of mods which were made assuming labels.txt would match the retail/gog versions.
This can be fixed by modifying your labels.txt file in a text editor as per this thread

Can I play the Mac version on a modern Mac?
It is not possible to play any of the Mac versions of Civ III on a modern Mac, for many reasons but the biggest one is that support for 32bit applications has been completely removed. For a list of supported OS's as well as an in depth history of the Mac version, see this thread, which also suggests some options for emulating the Windows version on a Mac.

Can I play on Linux using Wine?
Currently, Linux support for Civilization III is poor. There are a number of graphics bugs related to the use of GDI and OpenGL based graphics at the same time which can cause a black screen as well as broken diplomacy lines.
See here for a very detailed explanation, note that the workarounds for the black screen in that thread do not fix the diplomacy lines.
The sound is also badly broken, and will eventually start skipping, and cause crashes as per this thread

There is however, a new work around for the graphics issues, see the 'unofficial patches' section below.

Can I enhance Civ III with an unofficial patch?
Yes, you can! There have been a number of unofficial patches made over the years, starting with the EXE hacks 'no raze' and 'no city limits'. No raze stops size 1 cities from being razed when they are destroyed, and no city limits attempted to remove the maximum number of cities cap. Note that none of the 'no city limits' patches actually worked and would always cause crashes. The next step was the work of Antal who through reverse engineering, produced a number of patches which fixed bugs and added a few features.

This work was built upon by Flintlock who created the current recommended unofficial patch, known as 'C3X'. This is a full patch/modding framework which incorporates all of the features of the older patches (except the broken 'no city limits'), fixes a number of bugs, adds a whole bunch of quality of life improvements, enhances the AI in certain areas and adds a large number of features for modders to extend the capabilities of the game.

All features can by switched on and off via a global ini config file or even a scenario specific file, so if you just want the bug fixes and quality of life stuff you can have it.

You can find the patch here
The development thread is here

A list of famous Conquests bugs fixed by this patch includes
-barbarians only attacking diagonally
-AI blundering through stealth units and starting wars (aka the sub bug)
-The dreaded phantom resource bug in large mods
-The houseboat bug (game won't crash anymore if an AI settler is hiding in a boat)
-Science golden ages actually work

And as a bonus for Linux users, the patch features a 'Wine compatibility' mode which replaces the OpenGL calls which caused all the bugs with GDI calls so you don't get graphics bugs anymore (but be sure to disable the sound).

Last edited:
It's been a loooooooong time since I played Civ 3 but I've been wanting to go back and play through the anthology of all Civ games (or at least all of the ones I have there seems to be no way to get Civ 1 and 2). I was doing technical testing and Civ 3 runs fine on modern hardware but the UI is way too small at 4K I was curious if there is a mod somewhere to scale the UI?

I don't think so, there's a few wide screen title screens floating around but the buttons don't scale and aren't moddable. The only thing you can do is manually lower desktop resolution before starting play. I play at 1920x1080 and the buttons are just big enough for a satisfying experience.

I've recently been tinkering with Civ 3 again and the various posts in the tech support forum are great for covering all the quirks of getting the game running on a modern system (and there are quite a few now). What I have noticed though is that increasingly, that information is spread around more and more posts and it might be a good idea to try and collate things a bit. I've had a little think about what such a post should cover and here's what I've come up with.

Where to buy
with links to steam and gog pages (and mention ebay/2nd hand but with a warning to read Original CDs below)

Original CDs
talk about why it won't work because of securom, and point towards the pcgames.de drm free EXE as a workaround

Black screen when trying to start
talk about conquests.ini (keepres = 1 and playintro = 0)

Broken diplomacy music/sound
mention indirect sound as well as the visual studio 2010 x86 redistributable which is no longer installed by default on Win 10/11

Ultra wide screen / multi monitor issues
link to some of the threads with suggestions around this. There doesn't seem to be a fool proof way which works for everyone, so it's best endeavours here.

Quirks of gog release
mention not using the shortcut for the GOG launcher (what does that launcher even do!?)
maybe mention switching off xp compatibility mode? I find the game performs better without it and have yet to see any advantage to having it on, but not 100% sure on this one.
LAN but no internet multiplayer

Quirks of the steam release
mention the infamous labels.txt mod breaking change
mention missing vanilla/ptw exes in digital releases
steamworks multiplayer but no LAN

Mac/Linux
Link to the 'Details of the Civ III Mac port' post in the Mac forum
Link to the Wine bug list for Linux (make clear it really doesn't work!)

Unofficial Patches
Quick mention of what no raze and no city limits are (and point out that no city limits patches don't actually work and never have) but point users towards the flintlock patch, maybe with a warning about the AI upgrades and how to switch them off if you just want the bug fixes?
EDIT could also mention some of the big bugs that flintlock fixes (diagonal barbarians - no need to mess with that aipatrol ini setting anymore, sub bug, etc)

Anything else I've forgotten?
As an on and off Civ III dabbler, I would generally support this idea. The only caution I would have is for any "availability" section, it should probably be made very clear that no one should link to cracks/warez.

I use this to set my desktop res for civ in the ini:

KeepRes=1
Can be 0 or 1. If 1, your screen resolution is used for the game instead of the default 1024x768.

Video Mode=1280
Can be 1024, 1152, 1280, 1600, 1792. Changes the game's resolution to the value specified (instead of the default 1024x768).

This is mainly to have things at a size that I can read.

Yeah, for 4k you have to trial and error those hard coded resolutions to find one that fits with a decent aspect ratio. And make sure dpi scaling is at 100%. I still have an hd monitor so get away with keepres=1

You're making me feel old, that's the advice I give for Civ 1 for Windows not 'new' Civ 3 😁 (yeah yeah i know, 25 years, 3 sequels, bah!)

mention the infamous labels.txt mod breaking change
This almost deserves to be Stickied all on its own, IMHO.

I have posted the solution to this problem in multiple mod-discussion threads, and sometimes (often?) more than once in the same thread -- usually after some forum-noobie, who couldn't be bothered looking back through even 1-2 pages' worth of posts, complains that their copy of the mod is broken.

Having it stickied might go some way towards mitigating that (or I could just try harder to resist the urge to answer, I guess :lol: )

One more from Flinklocks insight into the engine in another thread, mention that the game uses GDI almost entirely for graphics so wrappers like dgvoodoo won't work

Wow! I didn't even know about "playintro = 0" :sleep:

I have an unsolvable problem: a UHD screen. I have a second machine set up side-by-side with an HD screen, but - even though I'm moving Civ 3 over to it - it's primary use is to keep market info up during NYC trading hours. I can still play Civ on it, but a dual-monitor switch won't work for me.

New addition to the Linux section, C3X now works around all(?) the wine graphics bugs by removing all opengl calls from the game and replacing thfm with gdi calls.

Ok, I have stickied this thread...
@Lord_Hill : would you be so kind and update your first post with the wisdom collected in this thread? And perhaps we can change the title to something like "Necessary workarounds for making Civ3 un in 2023"?

Will do. The one area where I could use a bit more guidance is the UHD monitor stuff. My biggest monitor is 1920x1080 so I haven't personally suffered any of the issues people with gigantic screens have!

I have updated the first post, I think I covered everything but please look it over and let me know if you spot anything.

let me know if you spot anything
I believe using the GOG launcher activates the GOG client (Galaxy) to carry out such 'essential' tasks as logging accumulated gametime. Possibly it also contacts GOG to enquire about updates. But I don't know that for sure, since I (also) start the game directly from the .exe.

There is (as I post this) not yet a link included for the labels.txt fix. Here is one of my (many!) examples, feel free to use it (or not):

And finally (AFAIK, unless they updated it since?), the Steam install-package also lacks the Rise of Rome single-player .biq

Last edited:
Thanks @tjs282 I missed that link. I've added it in as well as modifying the thread title as per @Lanzelot 's suggestion. I could have sworn the steam release had rise of rome but I will certainly check now you've mentioned it also doesn't!

EDIT - pedantically changed the thread title again, not everything here is necessary :cool:

Last edited:
Found an entire thread about the labels.txt problem:

I agree that a dedicated thread is better than a single post in a bigger thread so I've changed it. I was kind of surprised how much there was to write about once I got into it!

Top Bottom