---Alienware---

California Love

Chieftain
I just bought Civ IV and SUPRISE it doesnt work on my laptop....graphics card isnt good enough. So, I figured, hey, my computer is getting pretty old why not buy a new better one. Do you guys know if the alienware comps are good computers for running high performance games like CIV IV and the Sim II....I dont know much about the technical stuff about comps...Any reply would be a great help, thanks.

Alienware is as good as you can get, otherwise, build your own.

Alienware is overrated, and way overpriced. I don't know how they ever got a reputation for being a premium computer (aside from the premuim price).

If I was you I would build one. Its actually very easy with alittle research, and you will save alot of $$$$.

Normally, I'm all about the build-your-own option. But if you want another laptop then I don't think that's possible.

Alienware is known for producing top-notch gaming machines at top-notch prices. If you don't mind the bill, you'll be hard pressed to find a better product.

Yeah I know...I have heard build my own but there is no way in hell I will be able to figure it out. Im gonna buy one 100%....are there any negatives to buying an alienware that I am not aware of?

Alienware does NOT give you anything that you can't build yourself, for cheaper. And for the same price you can easily build a much better computer than an Alienware.
I'll build you one if you want.

I've never heard any good things about alienware. they're very overpriced, you're basically paying for a fancy case. Look up customer reviews of them, they break very easily and Alienware has horrible customer service. I would go with a custom built from HP or Dell, they have better track records.

Alienware is definitely a "designer label" of the computer world.

You are paying a premium for the privelidge of owning one.

Building your own can bring up warranty issues, if that doesn't bother you then i would do that.

otherwise stick with a big brand name where you are sacrificing some flexibility for the mass prodcution attitude(you will also end up with a bunch of stuff on your harddrive and sometimes motherboards that perform 'underpar' because of some proprietary options ont hem that cut costs), or go to a local computer shop and get one of them to build you one.

Alienware makes good, top-of-the-line computers, but expect to pay a significant premium to have one. You can get a comparable computer for a lot less by building it yourself. I know a lot of people don't want to bother (or don't feel comfortable) doing that so another option is just to buy a Dell on sale. Sure, you won't get as good of a computer, but it will still run the game well and you can probably afford to upgrade twice as often that way.

I understand. Building a computer, while really very easy, is just not for everyone.

Like I said, if you've got the bucks, Alienware will probably make you happy. You can, with a little more work, probably find a comparable system at Dell for less.

Ok thank you all....Now one more question....Laptop or Desktop....From Alienware I dont think I would buy a laptop...the one that I would like to get is around 4g but the desktop I would like to get (I built it on there finished at around 2,100....not bad I dont think. What other companies make outstanding laptops (not as uber fast as the desktops obviously, but still pretty damn fast) that dont run up past 3g?...Do you know of any?

I balked at buying alienware when I read not one, not just many, but literally hundreds of horror stories about shoddy product and poor support. I currently own a three year old Dell that I've had no problems with and have a new one on the way.

I have an Alienware and have been extremely happy with it. Sure, I could have built my own, but I got in on a nice sale with a $300 rebate and an additional $150 off, plus a free vid card upgrade, and ended up paying just marginally more (a couple of hundred) than what I would have to build my own. Along with that, I get a 3 year warranty and an awesome cooling system for the internals--I haven't had a single vid card/display crash in the two years since I've had it. Plus, I didn't have to actually waste my own time building it.

IIRC (you don't need to know your comp specs if it never has problems ;) ), it's a 2.8 Pent 4 w/1 G RAM and a Geforce 5900.

I haven't had one single hardware issue since I've had it. So if you are going to build your own, I'd highly recommend going on Alienware's site and configuring a system there, then buying from the hardware companies they use, or speak to someone who knows. There are many generic products out there that are pretty much equal to their brand-name competitors. Computer hardware doesn't fit that bill.

and of course they do look cool. :D

My computer is over 3 years old so I only dream about spending that kind of money. Single income, wife two kids and a money pit.

I need a bumper sticker for my computer
<my other computer is a 5k gamin rig>

Top Bottom