---Alienware---

OK, after reading these posts and researching online...I HAVE decided on purchasing an Alienware PC...I configured it online with my dad (he owns a software company so he knows about this kind of stuff) and it came out to about $2,200....I just have to say I am very impressed with everyone offering their opinions and trying to help...and I just want to say thank you, even to the people who told me NOT to get a Alienware....Thanks again.

I live in North Yorkshire, England and HQ (repairing facility) of Alienware is in Ireland - that is why it is 2 weeks. DHL picking up my PC, dropping PC off at airport, flying to Dublin, taking PC to Alienware, in queue, being inspected and repaired. Everything is paid for.

2 weeks is surely good enough, considering how far between here and Ireland.

When I have to return something it generally goes to California, and that's the case with Newegg... I'd say the ~4500 km between here and Cali is a bit farther than from you to Ireland...

IF they were going to send me a 3d card or RAM as a replacement - it'd take about 3 days to get here, that'd mean my PC 'd get fixed within 3 days. I had to send a WHOLE PC tower to Ireland, not just a motherboard. And they'd not send me a motherboard as a replacement for a reason. Did you actually send your whole PC tower to egg thingy and got it repaired? Probably over 2 weeks, or even worse - a month.

IF they were going to send me a 3d card or RAM as a replacement - it'd take about 3 days to get here, that'd mean my PC 'd get fixed within 3 days. I had to send a WHOLE PC tower to Ireland, not just a motherboard. And they'd not send me a motherboard as a replacement for a reason. Did you actually send your whole PC tower to egg thingy and got it repaired? Probably over 2 weeks, or even worse - a month.

My point was that shipping time has little to do with it. If the USPS can get a standard Priority Mail package across the US in 2 days, then DHL can surely get one from you to Ireland in about that time. I worked at UPS for 2 years btw, and I promise you that packages move through the system at exactly the same speed, whether it's a 1 lb mother board or 50 lb case.

I can also tell you that if the Alienware techs know what they're doing, it should only take an hour or so to determine that it is in fact the motherboard that is bad. Give another hour, probably less, to replace it. One would think that they'd have spare parts on hand, since that's their job and all. Of course, they do have get around to looking at your PC before they can do any of that...

man! alienware is quite popular over here - there is QUEUE! Their policy is up to 10 days to get PC fixed and dispatched.

honestly i think 2 weeks is really satisfying and my PC is bloody amazing! No slowdowns at all even on BF2, HL2, Doom3, etc. I don't care how long but 2 weeks is good enough for me.

DeadFish said:
man! alienware is quite popular over here - there is QUEUE! Their policy is up to 10 days to get PC fixed and dispatched.

I'd take a queue in their repair department as a hint at how shoddy their work is ;)

Deadfish said:
honestly i think 2 weeks is really satisfying and my PC is bloody amazing! No slowdowns at all even on BF2, HL2, Doom3, etc. I don't care how long but 2 weeks is good enough for me.

Like I said before, different standards. When one of my SGI machines break down, a tech is on-site the next day to diagnose and repair them - spare parts in hand. Sadly (or not?), none of my IBM machines have broken down, so I can't compare their sevice. I can't really compare with my Dells, our IT department repairs them instead of Dell directly (only lost one hard drive in the last 7 years in a Dell though).

Alienware wanted up to three weeks to repair a problem that should not have taken 24 hours. Add two days to ship in each direction and that is still under a week. That was paying for next-day onsite service, remember.

Again, I think we just have different standards in what good service means.

I would guess the difference is between "consumer" and "business" support.

Top Bottom