[BERT] Alliance and War

Jabark

Chieftain
Hey, I just want to be sure, that Im not crazy. I was in an alliance with everyone else. When two nations decided to get in war with each other, I was pressed to get in. On both sides... Because of my alliances, all my other allies also went in. And because I was fighting both my original allies, all my allies became my enemies. Because I was on both sides and so I was my enemy as well I guess.

Proof: https://i.imgur.com/fEVbGpC.png

I have been playing Civilizations since like 1991. And I have never seen a bigger joke than this fully priced "mod" to civ 5. :(

We don't have enough diplomatic options. "Cooperating" gets you better deals and allows right of passage, but no obligations. I have also been burned by having two or three alliances and ending up in wars that I didn't want. I've never tried being allied with most of the other AI, let alone *all* of the other AI. That seems inherently unstable, since the AI declare on each other for no apparent reason.

Yeah, Im kinda used to better parts of this franchise. Where alliances actually work in a sane way. Anyways Im now playing with the Codex mod. And so far the whole game is much better. Well... Diplomacy still sucks. But all in all even the early game is more fun. I have to play at least one game through to see, if BE(RT) is worth having on my computer (with the mod). Btw the need to turn the mod on and off again several times to avoid in-game bugs... Firaxis did really a great job of not fixing it. :(

Last night, I used that mechanic to my advantage. I was playing Africa, and building the gate for a Supremacy victory on a Large/Massive planet. ARC was half a world away and had founded 6 cities and conquered all of Kavitha's. PAC was just to my south and she had also expanded to 6 or 7 cities. Both were "Cooperating" and neither had grumbled when I started building the gate.

About 4 turns after finishing the gate, Daoming declares (Cooperating -> War) and brings her large navy into my land, taking one of my newer aquatic cities. I was able to get Fielding to be Allies with me, and boom, she declares on Daoming, causing her to fight a two-front war. It meant that I also declared on a couple of 2-city stragglers, basically the rest of the world, but it relieved the danger of losing one of my productive coastal cities while I pumped out units to push through the gate. Yes, I shouldn't have let them (ARC and PAC) get large enough to be worrisome.

The moral of the story is be very wary of an alliance with anyone, and almost never with more than a couple other civs. War follows Alliance.

The only time I ever agree to an alliance is when I'm powerful and have powerful agreements with the alliance civ and they are not threatening to win and I'm not afraid of war with multiple of the other civs.

That's a lot of 'and's, so it doesn't happen very often.

I think thats just excusing horrible in-game concepts. So my solution is to stop playing the game.

I couldnt read a single thing in that screenshot.

Zoom in (click on the image) mate. The image is in 1440p. Surely thats enough of a resolution for your eyes. ;)

I think thats just excusing horrible in-game concepts. So my solution is to stop playing the game.

Not excusing, just reporting how it is.

A perfectly viable solution.

Top Bottom