Alternate Combat System Idea - like in HOMM!

Krajzen

Deity
Currently, CFC is divided between fans of stacking and fans of 1UPT. 1UPT is generally well received, but AI 'uncompatibility' with it, along with 'logistic problems' with 1UPT, make it not perfect.
1UPT can be improved, but in the meantime - this is my idea for combat system, which is tactical, realistic and balanced :)

So... This is basically alternate version of Heroes of Might and Magic/King's Bounty system. When I think about it, it seems so natural:
- units TRAVEL in stacks on hexagonal map of the world. Logistic and most of AI problems - solved.

- units travel with or without generals, there is some limit on number of types/quantity of units in stack, for example only X Slots can be filled.

- in each Slot there can be X amount of units of single unit type, example: Warriors.

- there are X amounts of Slots, for example seven, so one army can have 5 Swordsmen Cohortes (units), 3 Archer Cohortes, 2 Chariot Cohortes, 10 Spearmen Cohortes, 6 Catapults C, 4 Horsemen C and 2 Scouts C but no more unit types (this seems fair :) )

- COMBAT. Each stack of X slots with Y units is on the single hex tile and has a zone of control of adjacent hexes. When one stack enters zone of control of other stack, battle begins.

- ...and then, like in HoMM/KB 'World Map' is changed onto 'Battle Map'. Remember those six ZOC hexes and one stack hex? Those World Map Terrain Hexes are 'converted' (like in HoMM/KB) into bunch of smaller hexes (so whole battlefield consists from, for example, 7x7 smaller hexes)

- As in HoMM/KB, each Slot is represented as one animated unit on one battle hex (so we have unit of 20 warriors or 20 archers). Two armies, each consisting from maximally 7 Slots, stand on the opposite sides of the map, defender can set his forces before battle.

- And now, finally, the battle begins, and it works similar to Civ5 'World Map' 1UPT system : units move, use their special abilities, ranged units shoot through the battlefield, cavalry has bigger movement and so on. Strategy matters. We maintain realism, archers don't shoot through lakes, we avoid traffic jams, overcrowded map. AI even if is as silly as Civ5 AI performs much better in this system (like HoMM/KB's not very bright AI can be dangerous), it doesn't have to struggle with traffic jams and obnoxious city sieges.

- Eventually... few arcade cool elements, like units with Active Abilities (oh my God, Viking Berserkers enter Battle Rage!) or... historical generals with Active Abilities :crazyeye: Animated Napolen or Truong Sisters on elephants :crazyeye:

- Terrain on the World Map when battle has started matters on the Battlefield Map - mountains impassable tiles on the WM become impassable on BM, rivers appear on the battlefield map, along with forests and so on...

- Naval Battles, well, designing them would be more difficult - few types of ships and no 'terrain obstacles' - but I am pretty sure it would be possible. Also, already 1UPT naval combat is also primitive :crazyeye:

- Sieges - like in the Total War: cities can be conquered by hunger/capitulation (on the World Map, when X turns pass city surrenders) or via direct attack, which could be also based on HOMM/KB one: wall in the middle of the battlefield and siege engines trying to destroy it

- This combat system would become a bit unrealistic in the XX century eras, but I believe it could be also handled (hm, City Battlefield Map? :0). On the other hand, 1UPT system is unrealistic in all previous eras ;)

- Aircraft. This is really simple. Airplanes station in cities/airports/carriers. On those stations, they have Operational Range. If there is a battle in their Operational Range, certain side can use aircraft attacks on the battlefield (limited by number and type of the aircraft units), or use its own fighters to destroy incoming enemy planes (so interesting tactical decisions :crazyeye: )

- If player doesn't want to fight with enemy, he can negotiate

- If player doesn't want to MANUALLY fight with enemy, because he doesn't like tactical combat/1UPT ;) he can choose Automatic Battle which immediately calculates its outcome.

- Fresh units can arrive to armies via 'Caravans' or 'Reinforcements' or nice mechanic which is less tedious than current moving of units.

- ...optional idea: each army is connected to cities/military bases by Reinforcement Line/Supply Line. As long as this Line exists, this army receives equipment and regenerates losses. If this Line is cut by enemy or bad natural conditions, army suffers on attrition. <This doesn't apply to certain units, like Scouts or Special Forces> +10 to realism and strategy!

- Eventual RPG Systems - each General/Admiral gains experience and artifacts, like in HOMM/KB :D

So, this system would be balanced, tactical and strategical, more capable for AI than 1UPT, pretty epic, would satisfy warmongers but also peacemakers, would allow on interesting game mechanics, would be more realistic than stacks/1UPT :)

What do you think about it?

I like HoMM, so this idea appeals to me, but I wonder if it would speed up or slow down the AI turns.

One major objection to this (and I'm a big HoMaM fan myself) is that it doesn't work well with the turn system in civ. In HoMaM, battles are instant in the meaning that you can have infinite actions of each unit in the scope of one day - until one player is defeated or retreats and ends combat. In civ, you can only have one combat action of each unit each day (not regarding certain promotions). If you change civ to HoMaM mechanics, you will very much favor the player with the larger army, because if combats continue until one player is defeated with no chance of sending in new units, the player with smallets army is highly likely to lose. This also means that it will be very hard for you to defend your civ against an invasion, because at it is now, even a fairly small defensive force can block the way for some turns until you either get to produce more military or get your other units send to reinforcement.

I'm not saying it couldn't work, but one should realize that such an idea would have more far-reaching consequences than just the way units interact on the map. Now one can turn this around and say it might in fact make the game better - arguably, you can say that it is currently too easy to defend an empire with a very small army, which might not be a very accurate representation of rl wars. Also, some of these problems might be prevented or might require more use of player actions (like suddenly forts and citadels might become crucial parts of defence) which again might not be bad for game, but is something one should be aware of.

Also, I must admit a part of me has the feeling that I'm not sure I actually want Civ to be turned into HoMaM, but I'll keep that out of the discussion for now.

If you are going to put multiple units on one tile, I do not think that each unit will need to be visible on screen. So I suggest dividing the hex into sub tiles for each unit to occupy. you can group them and move them as as a single unit but each one remains visible and individuality selectable.

Spoiler :
Hex Units.png

BONUS: features like ocean, river or mountain can take up portions of a tile, creating more variety in size and shape of these features. Such changes would have to be introduced in a Civ VI not Civ V expansion 3.

Limited stacks with tactical combat was how it worked in Master of Magic, which always have been way better with regards to the combat than any other Civ game so there is no doubt it's suitable. I think it's a much better system than either stacks or carpets of doom. I would also fix the weird effects with scaling the ranged distances so that ranged units actually could become more important with gunpowder instead of the other way around that we currently have in the game.

My idea was similar but I would use an improved CIV5 system for battle maps not a HOM&M system. On the world map there wouldn't be any fight. I actually image it as a turn based TW combat or the battles from Pirates.

Top Bottom