Alternate Ranged Combat

Gedrin

Chieftain
So with the Mod browser I am not sure of the need for this... but announcing mods here seems to be a poplar thing to do.

Well I posted it About a week ago [oct 2nd] but in the GameRules section there is an
Alternate Ranged Combat:
This mod alters ranged combat in the following way:
--1) Archery and crossbow type units can now initiate melee [although they are no better at it so ranged is still better]
--2) Personal firearm type units can now attack at range although at only 80% of their close combat strength [ex infantry, riflemen etc]
--3) All units with relatively short ranged weapons have thier range set to 1 [Ex archers and variants, catapults, trebuchets and rifle wielding units]
--4) none of the above units may take ranged shots at non Land units
--5) GDR, Tanks and helicoptors can initiate ranged combat at range 1 also at only 80% of close combat strength

If there are any questions or suggests... let fly.

Always bothered me that my archers suddenly lose all its range when they grab a gun:D.

A couple suggestions:

Put siege weapon's ranges back to 2; they CAN shoot much further than archers.
Reduce (to 50%, maybe?) gun powder units' range strength (maybe counter balance it by giving them range 2 instead of 1?); right now you virtually never engage malee attacks once reach modern era, since it is almost always better to use 80% of your strength to damage the enemy rather than risking damages to yourself...not very realistic for any force to take out others without taking any damage.

It seems like a Range of 1 on land units would be relatively useless with 1UPT. However, I think it would make sense to reduce the range if units can stack.

I think early ships with a range of 1 also makes sense. It's kinda ridiculous that a trireme can fire so far inland.

You may also consider reducing the range of cities for the same reason, but having the range increase with the development of Artillery.

I am not aware of any issues with units having both ranged and close combat (ie melee)
Only thing is that ranged strikes are default so you do need to click the "attack" button.

I do agree that it is silly with 1UPT. I always play with Legions mod.

I also have already set ships that basically just have archers on the deck to range 1 and am considering also making them domain only.

I think I agree with making gun units range attack lower than 80%. Maybe even 50%.

I do not agree with range 2 early range units mostly because its intended to be played with Legions. With 1UPT I would have to agree but that's not what I was looking for.

I have made great effort to alter city ranges but until there are some hooks for mor intrusive modding of the core game engine I do not think it can be done. I got it to work for the player but not the AI. AI got max range at all times. I was fairly disappointed too

I found when I use the mod, there is no combat panel.
Do anyone have a idea?

same. It is just like when you range attack with a city--you can do it, but it does not give you an estimate on how much damage it deals. Not a big deal, kinda annoying though.

Also when it does pop up, the info is often horribly wrong--it told me that my archer could deal 9 damage if I range attack the chariot archer, at the same time receiving 2, when in reality I only ended up dealing 3 damages and, obviously, did not receive any.

I could be worthwhile with some tweaks for 1UPT.

Archer-type units should give a bonus to units next to them reflecting support fire. Archers still remain weak on their own, but provide value behind the lines without needing outrageous range.

Would be good to borrow another FG idea and add a skirmisher type, that's weaker ranged, doesn't provide support fire but that takes half damage. Ideally with a retreat.

Can the AI handle this? Since ranged combat is the default, doesnt that mean that the AI will never use those units in melee and hence become unable to capture cities?

Can the AI handle this? Since ranged combat is the default, doesnt that mean that the AI will never use those units in melee and hence become unable to capture cities?

Unfortunately, I have never seen archers melee....

well I should have come back to look at this thread eh...

Um seems not.
I usually have such a lead by the time firearms come out I dont bother finishing what will be a boring walkover conclusion to a game [where the AI has really never been in a position to attack a city]... but a mod I have been working on lately makes that much less likely and I have noted that no... the AI cannot use units capable of ranged and melee to capture cities. Damn.

[what were they thinking?]

So this is not good.

Is it possible to just make the early ranged units just that, without making them meelee as well, but still change their range to 1 plot? Would this then allow them to capture cities? I like the 1 plot range for the early units, but would like the AI to be able to capture cities with them. Is this possible?

Can somebody please tell me what exactly the human player can do with this mod that the AI can't? I know that using this mod AI ranged units cannot capture cities. Is that all, or is there more? I really like this mod and want to use it, but want to make it fair for both myself and the AI, and I am willing to limit myself to only what the AI can do with its ranged units, but I need to know exactly what I can do that they can't. Any help you can give will be much appreciated, and thanks in advance.

well I should have come back to look at this thread eh...

Um seems not.
I usually have such a lead by the time firearms come out I dont bother finishing what will be a boring walkover conclusion to a game [where the AI has really never been in a position to attack a city]... but a mod I have been working on lately makes that much less likely and I have noted that no... the AI cannot use units capable of ranged and melee to capture cities. Damn.

[what were they thinking?]

So this is not good.

Any progress?

Top Bottom