Alternatives to floodplains

MISER SVM

Grand Procrastinator
I am currently out of the loop regarding the map for 1.7... But I have a question about the fertile areas of Ukraine (Chernozem) and Java (volcanic soil). I think it is reasonable to assume that these tiles (tricky given the paucity of terrain for Java in the Civ4 engine) should yield more food. Kyiv/Kiev could become quite a beast of a city even in RFC vanilla (thanks to the resource placement), but how could this be achieved for Java? Floodplains, an own feature, or extra resources (kind of a weird workaround), a civ power?...

There is a dedicated thread about the new map, and it's possible to go there with suggestions.
Here is the last I've seen of Java, and it looks quite bountiful even in the stone age (more resources appear only later, like coffee).

In the current map, Jakarta regularly becomes a huge city thanks to an island where each tile (except for the western peak) has a resource. There are bananas in Borneo, two maritime resources, stone to boost the industry, coffee and spices.
Develop Jakarta either with settled great people or with Despotism, and at the brink to Industrialism you will get a 20 pop city.

The new map seems to allow for at least two cities instead, and the rivers would even allow for floodplains. I think the future map has even more options to make those areas successful. A special civ power... for whom? Indonesia of course, but Dutch and Japan have goals in Java as well. Not to mention that it's a sweet spot for many other player-civs, too.

Top Bottom