Am I screwed here? What should I have done differently?

jtpavlock

Chieftain
I'm new to vox populi, and am trying out Carthage and Progress, however I don't think I settled effectively and am left with only two cities going into the classical era at turn 69. I have one viable city location to the southwest, but other than that I'm not sure where else I can settle. Is this still redeemable? What should I have done differently?

I went monument -> stonehenge at the start prior to building my first settler and selected God of Commerce.

Game settings:
King
Standard everything
Communitu map

It is bad but not impossible.

First thing is you do have a 4th city, on the gems east of Cahokia. In a similar fashion there might be other possible cities you can found on islands. In general this is what you need to do, scout around a bit more and figure out where you might settle later on.

Carthage + progress seems like a good combo but you want to get the far right policy as soon as possible as you get free connections.

You also have loads of gold as cartage so you should be spending it on something. Buying the atol would be a good start. You also don't really need walls, but that it is a bit more subjective.

I'd prefer god of the sea here and it would make the bad costal cities a lot more appealing.

God of commerce is rarely ever good and god of the sea is very good on maps with lots of water, hey its even very viable on pangea maps sometimes.
You went with a not so good start, I would probably have restarted with a map like this, the mountain range screw you over regarding your monopoly lux.
You have spots to settle on the island and as @stii mentioned the gems, maybe the snow hill to the west, 2 fish+jade.
Still this is King so despite the bad conditions and Babylon (indirect archers, yuck) you can war for victory.
Possibly conquer one or two of the CS (think of wellington and cahokia).

Top Bottom